Mercedes Benz 229.5 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering buying one of two vehicles and a MB GLC is on the short list. It requires MB 229.5 oil and of the locally, readily available oils on the MB Approved 229.5 Oils List, I see two--M1 Euro 0W-40 and Castrol Edge 0W-40. I assume these oils are fairly equal to one another from the MB 229.5 point of view.

Any one have a bad experience with either in a MB vehicle? Are there other oils I should consider?

TIA for your thoughts.

The two oils you mentioned are probably your best bets: they work well in this application, are reasonably priced, and readily available.

You can also add Pennzoil Euro 0w-40 to your list, as it's also about the same price and comes in 5qt jugs at Walmart.

Many great UOAs on the Mobil 1 0W40 in my Mercedes (the one in my sig, a twin-turbo V-12).

Either is fine, Mercedes recommends Mobil. That's basically what they sell at the dealership and the sticker on my E-350 says to use Mobil. But people on this board seem to prefer Castrol 0w40 as it has BMW LL-01 certification and Mobil 1 0w40 lost it a few years back. I just use Castrol 0w40 just because I got a bunch on clearance at Autozone for $2/quart last year.

Pennzoil Euro In 0w-40 would be my first choice. Ran superb for me
The 5W-40 version would be second, followed by the Castrol...

Mobil 1 was mediocre at best...

Pennzoil has $2 a quart rebate, and the 0w-40 can be found at Maul-Mart

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Pennzoil Euro In 0w-40 would be my first choice. Ran superb for me
The 5W-40 version would be second, followed by the Castrol...

Mobil 1 was mediocre at best...

I don't know how you can really say that with any proof. I've never seen any sort of test that would show any of those oils carrying the same specification are somehow "better" than another.

In checking the MB list of oils for 229.5 (Mehrbereichsmotorole) there are dozens of choices in 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30 and 5w-40. Castrol, Chevron, Mobil 1, Shell, Total, Valvoline and many other brands. It seems like you can't go wrong with any of them.

Either oil is fine for your Mercedes engine as it is in spec. I run Castrol 0w40 in my older one and noticed a lot less burn off over 8000 mile OCis. Running Mobil 1 0w40 I had to refill the oil more often because it was vaporizing. That shouldnt happen with new engines. Try both and see which one works better for you. I dont mix them in winter, but in summer I add in a quart of Castrol Supercar 10w60 with the 0w40 for trips to Las Vegas when it hits 120 to 130F. Yikes! zero burn off over 1000 mile trip with the ac on full blast.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys for sharing all of the information. I will have to wait and see which one I decide upon, but good to know that oil will not be difficult to find.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I am considering buying one of two vehicles and a MB GLC is on the short list. It requires MB 229.5 oil and of the locally, readily available oils on the MB Approved 229.5 Oils List, I see two--M1 Euro 0W-40 and Castrol Edge 0W-40. I assume these oils are fairly equal to one another from the MB 229.5 point of view.

Any one have a bad experience with either in a MB vehicle? Are there other oils I should consider?

TIA for your thoughts.

The only issue I have encountered is a slow oil leak when using 0W oils compared to 5W. May just be a coincidence, but leak went away immediately after changing to 5W-40 in a car with 140k miles. Never leaked before the 0W, and hasn't since going back to 5W about 2500 miles ago. Maybe just coincidence.
21.gif

With that being said, I picked up 2 jugs of M1 0W-40 on sale - plus rebate, for the next OC. Price was too good after rebate to turn down.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back