Lasik eye surgery, before & after results?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may affect your night vision. The treated area may be smaller than the dilated pupil diameter. At night, uncorrected light bypasses the treated area giving halo and starburst effects. Night driving can be challenging.

I was hesitant to do it. I had Lasik as I was tired of wearing contacts while watching tv and driving etc.. Best thing I ever did. I still need glasses up close for reading smaller print but no longer need help while driving or just laying on sofa.

I would do it again in a second..

That was 12 years ago..

I too am interested in this. My eyesight might be too bad for Lasik to correct but I'd sure like to find out. The night vision thing worries me because my wife has terrible night vision and can hardly drive after dark.

My wife had it done about 11 years ago. Fast, painless. Her eyesight is still much better than before. Uses only reading glasses now as most our age do.

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
I too am interested in this. My eyesight might be too bad for Lasik to correct but I'd sure like to find out. The night vision thing worries me because my wife has terrible night vision and can hardly drive after dark.

Then go with implants. Yes it is expensive if it is not covered by medicare or if you don't have cataracts. But what is near perfect vision worth to you?

I wore glasses my whole life and my vision was 20/200 now 20/20.

Originally Posted By: pcoxe
It may affect your night vision. The treated area may be smaller than the dilated pupil diameter. At night, uncorrected light bypasses the treated area giving halo and starburst effects. Night driving can be challenging.

This is less of an issue these days than when the surgery first was available, but it's definitely not gone.

Don't remember how bad my distance vision was before I had Lasik, but I was corrected to something like 20/15 in my right eye and 20/20 in my left. I had worn glasses since around the age of 10 and did fine without them following the surgery.
I did have problems with ghosting immediately and they never went away. This is double vision that only occurred with bright lights and a dark background, so I had to get used to seeing two traffic lights from a distance that slowly merged together as I got closer. The thing that bummed me out the most was that I couldn't really enjoy the night sky as much after the Lasik, used to love looking at the moon and stars and that were only times here and there when the ghosting was minimized enough that it was still fun. It was also more difficult to play outfield under the lights after the surgery as the ball was generally doubled when I first picked it up. The two images were clear, just irritating that there were two!!
I think I hurt myself somewhat by being impatient, believe the doctor told me to get no wind in my eyes for two or three weeks. I was road biking with coworkers nearly every day at lunch and kept bugging him about that, finally he got frustrated with me after a week or so and said I could ride with goggles. I bought ski goggles that were vented so I still got some breeze across my eye, then woke up the day after with pretty blurry vision. It recovered, but I don't think it ever completely recovered to the best it was within a week after the procedure. The ghosting was an issue from immediately after Lasik, but I think my stupidity about getting back on the bike also interfered with recovering from that, too. A coworker who used the same doctor told me that his healing seemed to be affected by an obnoxious coworker who put him in a headlock at his desk and forced him to tap out, said that put some pressure on one eye and he felt that it was worse after that.
I do remember that they were having a horrible time trying to measure my dilated pupil and the technician suggested that my iris/pupil might be too large for their equipment. She eventually got a reading, but I did have thoughts about calling the whole thing off after that...maybe the "big baby blues" that one of my GFs loved to praise when I was in HS were not the best match for Lasik.

This is all from when the flaps for surgery were still cut with a blade, I would guess that the ones that are now made with a laser might heal a lot better (without any wind).

I had the customview lasik in 2002, no night vision problems or problems of any kind. My vision was 20/400 and is now 20/15. No regrets.

My mom and sister both had their eyes done at Lasik here in Canada. It wasn't painful at all. Their eyes just felt a bit of burning after like when you get something in your eyes. Nothing crazy though. They give you drops for it.

My mom is about 20 years from her surgery and just recently had an adjustment done because she was in need of reading glasses again. My sister though hasn't needed anything. I'm too much of a baby to get it done.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I am near sighted, just recently can't pass the DMV test. I was told with correction, I would need reading glasses going forward. I was hoping the prices had come down, but it seems to be about $1500-1700 per eye in the Mpls area..

I went in for an assessment about 15 years ago to have it done, but since I have amblyopia I see about 99% from my right eye and my left eye is basically blind (came from being cross eyed as a young toddler , had surgery at age 5 to correct cross eye. Was lucky to be able to somehow pass an eye test to join Army back in 1977. Anyway I was ruled out as candidate for Lazick and it was hello Bi focals. I know of a few people who have had the surgery and it has worked out well for them.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
How does LASIK surgery differ from cataract surgery?

In cataract surgery they remove your lense and install a plastic one.

I had it done 11 years ago. I started at 20/150, maybe 20/200, and it corrected me to 20/20. 10 years later, I'm probably at 20/25ish. For the first several years, I recall some very minor night glare but it was minor, and it either went away or I no longer notice it.

Both my eyes were in the +5 correction range. Most everyone in my family had it done in the early 90s when the technology was brand new. I had it done when I was 18 in 2014. I had the custom lasik done where the computer will determine exactly how much correction the laser has to do and how much the blade has to cut. In hindsight maybe it was a gimmick to get more money, but the machine next to the regular one was much more modern. My eyesight is still good. 20/20 in both eyes.

Only downsides are that there is "scatter light" when you look at the moon or lights at night, kind of like when you squinted your eyes as a kid and the beam of light extended the more you squinted. It's not that bad. The other is light sensitivity maybe 4-6 out of 10 on the irritation scale only with buttholes who drive with high beams and those [censored] hids in regular reflectors at night.

Still I do not regret it. I would do it again even if I knew the side effects. I never could wear contacts because of my aversion to poking my eyes every day. I can swim and see where I'm going, go on roller coasters, wear sunglasses without spending a ton on prescription ones. Any situation where you would need glasses and have a chance of losing them, or misplacing them is virtually gone. Seeing the clock in the morning without glasses is a plus too. Depending on your job, losing the glasses could be a benefit. My doctor is out in Wilkes-Barre PA. PM if anyone needs his information.

I actually wrote up an article in Colorado Avid golfer for my internship back in May I think. I interviewed a Lasik doctor and watched a procedure. The newer wavelight lasik is a in and out affair. In fact the doctor that I interviewed said that with previous technologies patients had to come back and get their eyes "touched up" after 5 years or so.The big negative was that 10 percent of patients had permanent night vision distortion or halo ruining night driving. With the newer technology there is no halo effect with night driving and full vision clarity in a few days, taking up to a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back