Suggestions for 2018 TT RS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm looking to perform an oil change on my 2018 TT RS shortly, with the DAZA engine. I got Audi to pull their currently suggested oil for this vehicle, and got this:

Audi P/N: G 052 545 M2
vDYrqPxN5Uj2w5EYhiDJTXTdEpaAyXz31LPQRwByNtwxEtnF3OYPYDgsMhXILwVfsjIJCeeuoHGQ5iA6PiPgm7RC9b93Rhv9H7S9XNH2NX9vEEonXcwqLBG9YTVRWpka6p2t5AXAibjABbOmK9riAfS2leFs5Gl9uN5lSK8oyCUUaJpoh5oRkz_nj5gM4_fAJAeAAoMNIuvosZU6NpcSCHIODSsD5ju0YEoorztdwjkUoyt8FobLaVP0mEfkJqeLz5gn8aimAEVH-EIordYug-VOJOWQyegqgIMLShRhqG-Puh-ss6xcDjbyd4ihpDFTiOAM0x6sGtPUgqJMJxIB1mc_5GcUoGsSJWTNAbwKsjdUAksJ3Vg5I0tFew2WQHQ7sEQ-jv4YHpE10sJdsZAej-aw9_6aG_IxMhLntfITqIsITCmnh6OexD-TTxKvqyquG4xCyI4NhYyRuVKpRNMnyhZWdJNpRNrO9Dk36xM9d_mvztAIGujCrJ01TyAOQgyy8FLZCkVTRBXTFSdSBYoYchjSTUZ8ppmCyxsTWvqGmlO8bEwOsy8hphoMIb5FCbjKaiS5zK1JdkuQorMO1FqAdBg20CaElJjGVrbteroQ_g=w1234-h925-no

It looks like they've shifted to suggesting 0W-30 504/507 spec vs. the 5W-30 504/507 spec that was suggested previously.

Details about myself/driving habits:

1) Live in TX, primarily drive in TX, but do make trips
2) Track the car (HPDE/circuit racing style) for a weekend every few months (90+ minutes)
3) Autocross here and there
4) This is a daily driver, 99% of the miles will be on the road in both city and highway (with traffic in both)
5) Audi specifies a 10k mile OCI, I'm at 4200 right now and was planning to change before 5000 miles, with the oil suggested + Mann oil filter. I'll use UOA moving forward to ensure I'm not running the oil longer than is safe after this initial change (which I will also have a UOA performed on).
6) I'm primarily concerned with engine longevity, I'd rather spend more on oil/oil changes than risk the engine, especially as I do drive it hard on track days.

I'd love any suggestions you may have for oil I can actually obtain, so far I've only found a few options, the primary being:

Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX with PurePlus 0W-30

M1 appears to have one, but I can only find it on the UK version of their site, so not sure it's available in the states. Is there an oil that meets the above specifications while being safe until the ultra low sulfur gas is everywhere in the US (if ever)?

I'd also like suggestions on where to purchase whatever oil ends up being the suggestion!

Thank you for your time and advice, let me know if you need any additional information

I don't have too much in the way of recommendation, just wanted to ask for a picture of that sweet TT RS!

I would think however something like a 0w40 or 5w40 meeting the correct VW/Audi certification would be appropriate here (with TX heat and track use). Its generally whats used in the variants of the 2.0 turbos (I know different engine) with good results when tested after use.

Can you use a 5W30 VW 504/507 oil in that while retaining warranty? That opens a lot more choices. There simply isn't much choice in 0W30 meeting the VW 504/507 spec.
My wife owns an A4 and I own a GTI. As long as the oil is the proper VW spec for our vehicles, viscosity doesn't matter.
That Pennzoil is just fine btw and I wouldn't hesitate to run it myself. Don't get the warm & fuzzy feeling using some German brand or the default Mobil1 synthetic.
It's pure nonsense and wont make your engine last any longer.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Found this kit online. Something to consider.

https://www.europaparts.com/oil-change-kit-rs3-ttrs-2-5l.html

Thank you, I had seen that earlier but it used the 5W-30 specified oil, which Audi has now changed to 0W-30.

Regarding the other question, I could probably run 5W-30 w/o voiding warranty, but I'd rather run the current-spec oil if possible. I just worried about the Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 and the gas in TX. If it'll be fine, I'll try to source it.

Last edited:
Hah. Thank you all for the tips, I have a Shell distributor here nearby I will call and try to find that oil.

Picture for those asking:

yDusMsVohBKWPPb-VVU8MYeNkukDutRMNaRUYhNjOMgpSFZspaaptySEl6J09o36Zxp2TDqsxqGw6YAWcBeO18BG8Lozzkr7686ZgqQCgSOIYxIC5OYq-lAZ8lFlDsOFhfm1-_NlVhUsZ8WoWvF-fCPDcFJ54oEXb7H5TDRuEe9fDZWYBA-UekSQOisfO-dpR_PPc3oOi3_HxOMaM8lUfCoe1VzozesJwN20HlraVZCJ6Tip00OTDZFi8BtNLslrPGw3fX93N4HaO561fzsIT8lLxp53Xa5ZZ5J45UegDooCYjGa3cFyUaMRpUqqYTfDFaxWiuYtl9pLQVjYItNaYIuHnJcWwvgfiwjlPiANNbijdX5WlU6a0S5wwlXyZR39mWD9XvF5YY0CI6GdU6nZNcG0bD1uZMEgsdDjGSaJ-cinN0UpzNRqBAe3sQI1BhaaW5aMliJqlU68lsbsfb5PTb1A89XJxOXNp24JTlkoUeDoxBDXS2NkTCww89o-lJweUnt0ChumIFWoPyy0Av4vnLsG-XYcsxwHBUyySQTUxSzTVeVmU72fRk5yq95ARK4QrpxTLdku6ZU18gmYhDrQk95mCgRnNHstRv2mkhKZ-u3qLSnRf1kxiQgZjd7_Jhm2PoiMoWW_AVuy43VhRobCRg9zo3zU_h7UMqk=w1440-h718-no

Found a shell distributor whom had the Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0w-30, sold in 24 quart containers, so hopefully it agrees with the engine. I'll get some UOAs done at various intervals and post as I can, since it looks like VOAs have already been done, no point in repeating.

Originally Posted By: ormandj
Thank you, I had seen that earlier but it used the 5W-30 specified oil, which Audi has now changed to 0W-30.

Regarding the other question, I could probably run 5W-30 w/o voiding warranty, but I'd rather run the current-spec oil if possible. I just worried about the Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 and the gas in TX. If it'll be fine, I'll try to source it.

But as has been pointed out, the grade is not the specification, the specification is the specification. The grade is a recommendation.

What exactly were you worried about because of the gas in Texas?

Beautiful car! 504/507 oils are top notch lubricants, and I wouldn't hesitate running any 504/507 you can find. Is the 0W-30 required? There are a few more options if you also consider 5W-30. Motul and Castrol both make 504/507 5W-30 options.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

But as has been pointed out, the grade is not the specification, the specification is the specification. The grade is a recommendation.

What exactly were you worried about because of the gas in Texas?

I understand. Audi is recommending 0W-30 now, hence my desire to find some. I understand the specification of 504/507 is met by both grades of oil, I was just looking for suggestions based on the grade Audi suggests via their internal system.

Re: oil in TX, meant oil in the US, seeing as it's not ultra low sulfur, based on lots of posts on this forum regarding low-saps oils and gas in the US. I'm gathering by the response I shouldn't worry since the oil is "in spec" (504/507).

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Beautiful car! 504/507 oils are top notch lubricants, and I wouldn't hesitate running any 504/507 you can find. Is the 0W-30 required? There are a few more options if you also consider 5W-30. Motul and Castrol both make 504/507 5W-30 options.

Didn't say required on the sheet (should be linked above as an image), and based on Audi not actually having any in stock yet (recent change apparently) I can't see them requiring it or they'd be violating their own requirement. The service person told me it was just an updated standard for my vehicle, and that 5w-30 would be ok but to go 0w-30 if I could find it since they didn't have it yet. That said, I don't know how much a difference it makes, especially with the climate here. I'm planning to tailor the OCI to the UOA results not to exceed Audi's required 10k mile interval, but I wanted to ask the experts here before I proceeded in trying to ensure I didn't put myself in a pickle.

I'm hopeful the Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0w-30 will be a good fit for my vehicle, as I've got 24 quarts now (smallest I could get direct from Shell's distribution facility here).

Last edited:
Re: oil in TX, meant oil in the US, seeing as it's not ultra low sulfur, based on lots of posts on this forum regarding low-saps oils and gas in the US. I'm gathering by the response I shouldn't worry since the oil is "in spec" (504/507).

You should be fine with U.S. gas, you just won't be able to run as long of an interval compared to say a 502 oil. 10,000 miles on a 504/507 seems like a stretch with U.S. gas. Maybe change at 7,500 and see where the TBN stands via UOA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

You should be fine with U.S. gas, you just won't be able to run as long of an interval compared to say a 502 oil.

Thank you, I have a lot to learn. I'll keep tabs on it with UOA and make sure I don't risk anything by going too long (won't ever go over 10k miles as that's Audi's required interval). I'm sure I'm over-thinking this.

That said, I don't know how much a difference it makes, especially with the climate here.

It won't make any difference at all. VW 504/507 has a minimum HTHS so that makes the grade pretty irrelevant, and in your climate it makes it even more so. I would go with whatever 504/507 oil you can find that is the least expensive.

If that was my car I would do UOA at 3K first to see TBN retention. That is based on my UOA using VW504.00/507.00
If youw ere in California, I would say you could do 5-7.5K, but TX, do 3K first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back