How do you prepare your turkey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Secrets? I order a few pieces of roasted turkey from a local family-owned grocery store. We eat so little of it so that it just does not make sense to make a whole one at home and then try to find space for leftovers.
smile.gif

Wife has been getting a locally grown turkey last couple of years. Smaller so it takes less time to cook. Roasted in the oven.

Family member does deep fry, and that comes out pretty good.

My wife found an electric roaster on Ebay. It looks like a blue steel roasting pan with temp control and heating element. The roaster was about 30 dollars and works amazingly well. We have done several turkeys and roasts in it. As far as he actual turkey: Buy a good turkey from a local farmer, cook without stuffing, rub with butter before roasting, use a meat thermometer for food safety. ENJOY

Wife insisted that we fry a turkey this year with a turkey fryer. We roasted one in the oven as well, in a bag. Both came out perfect. Most important part is having a high quality digital thermometer to gauge doneness.

We usually do frozen turkeys. I shoot it up with injectable marinade and put it on the smoker.
I've fried a turkey a couple of times but that can get expensive. It usually takes about $35.00 worth of oil.

Half the time we bake half fry. Either way the secret as has been told here is to brine it.

When we go to the desert and have thanksgiving out there - we fry them.

I put them in an ice chest inside a brining bag for at least a day.

UD

Last year, or maybe the year before, I made two 6 pound young turkeys on our pellet grill. Used applewood rub and cooked them over a beer can half filled with chicken bullion and apple juice. Those were the absolute best, juiciest turkeys we ever had at Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
The most important thing to do to a turkey to make it the best tasting is to BRINE it! I do about a dozen or so turkeys this time of the year for family and friends and they keep coming back for more. A brine is simple to do.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/alton-browns-brined-turkey-443177

Protip: use a food grade 5 gallon bucket to brine in, they are cheap and less mess.

This right here.

Save up some bacon grease beforehand and smear that all over the bird before roasting. Bacon makes everything taste better.

Before we went plant based, I used to smoke our turkey. Not very pleasant to get up when it's still dark and start the process.

Dump a large ladle of gravy over it. I don't care much for Turkey, but I do consider gravy a beverage!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: TOMJ
We usually do frozen turkeys. I shoot it up with injectable marinade and put it on the smoker.
I've fried a turkey a couple of times but that can get expensive. It usually takes about $35.00 worth of oil.

I forgot about smoking!

I brine my turkeys for 3 days - from frozen solid - in a 5-gallon bucket. Brine contains Kosher salt, some brown sugar, lots of whole peppercorns, dried onion, and whole rosemary. Once that's done, I rub it down with salt, pepper, and some paprika and put it out in my smoker for about 3 hours. It gets smoked with either pecan, apple, or alder wood - something a little milder, since hickory or mesquite would overpower it.

It then gets finished in the oven. I make gravy using the drippings, and it always picks up some of the smoke flavoring.. heavenly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back