Dowsing Rods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any personal experiences with dowsing working to locate items underground? I know it's considered kooky stuff, but I've seen people swear it works.

I was able to perform dowsing in my youth. My dad was very adept at it. I have seen it work. Both of our wells were dug using dowsing, or "witching" as we called it.

Always wondered if this was 100% balogna or if there is some science behind it. Obviously the 'spirit world, ghost aspect' is not what I'm discussing as I believe it's anything but reality, but is there some practical use like locating items underground or such backed by real science?

I think it depends on the person. I tried to find a water shut off valve in our parking lot but had no luck. The lady from the water company got out her bent wires,told us where to dig and was correct.

They also did it when they drilled my well and that worked.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I think it depends on the person. I tried to find a water shut off valve in our parking lot but had no luck. The lady from the water company got out her bent wires,told us where to dig and was correct.

They also did it when they drilled my well and that worked.

So what's the science behind this?

The guy that found us a new well on my dad's property used one and it found water, this is after they drilled in multiple locations around the property and found nothing.

I don't know, I think it works but it seems like "magic" to me.

Originally Posted By: Al
No science behind it. I used to work as a well driller helper. I did not see any difference either way.

yeah a quick Google seems to suggest there is no tangible science behind it. I tend to agree.

100% bunk.

Of course there are people who have found water. That's exactly what you'd expect by blind chance. And if you're one of those people, or if you know one of those people, you can't be blamed for thinking there's something to it. But every time it's actually tested, it turns out to be no more successful than just rolling the dice.

I have seen it work with my own eyes.
I think it has something to do with the magnetic force of round metal objects.
In my case it was correct in locating a casket buried in an unmarked grave.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
100% bunk.

Sorry, wrong. I've been able to locate pipes & wires underground for years. 2 months ago found the sewer line between the house and septic tank. 2 pieces of stiff wire bent in an L shape, 24" on one side, 6" for the handles. When I cross over the pipe/wire the wires cross. They cross with my eyes closed. Can't explain it, don't know how/why it works. Saw it done years ago and tried it. I don't claim to know how deep or what's down there if I don't know, but it works.

My wife works for the gas company, when the locating device can't find the pipe some of the men will get out their wires (unofficially) and locate the pipe.

I can't speak for finding a water course underground for a well but that wasn't the OP's question.

100% bunk.

Of course there are people who have found water. That's exactly what you'd expect by blind chance. And if you're one of those people, or if you know one of those people, you can't be blamed for thinking there's something to it. But every time it's actually tested, it turns out to be no more successful than just rolling the dice.

Yeah I agree. No science behind it, it seems. I don't believe in anything you can't prove with science regardless of who saw or heard something so I'll agree and call it bunk.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
100% bunk.

Yeah I agree. No science behind it, it seems. I don't believe in anything you can't prove with science regardless of who saw or heard something so I'll agree and call it bunk.

What if the methods to validate it scientifically are not yet known to humans?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
100% bunk.

What if the methods to validate it scientifically are not yet known to humans?

The methods to validate are already there. Controlled, repeated studies. Just doesn't happen. Like the butt dyno, people always claim improvements but it turns out it's their own bias. I remember the bit where Andy Rooney tried all those gas improvement formulas and said the only real problem with them was that they improved his mileage so much that he has to stop ever few miles and drain out all the extra gas it was producing as it was over 100%.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I have seen it work with my own eyes.
I think it has something to do with the magnetic force of round metal objects.

James Randi once demonstrated very convincingly that it does not work. Seeing it work with your own eyes is one thing. Seeing it fail miserably is another.

Reddy45: If the methods to validate it by humans don't exist, then how can you say it works? It's extremely easy to test.

I doubt if I could find water, especially since here in Nebraska we can drill a well most anywhere, and get good water. But, if I want to find horizontal pipes underground, even quite deep, it works for me. I can usually get within 6 inches either way of a buried pipe. I didn't believe it either till I tried it myself. I have showed other people how to do it and they all could also. It is kinda spooky when the wires suddenly move and cross themselves. I figure it has something to do with magnetic lines of force, kinda like a compass Maybe?

Had it done on my ranch by an old friend and dowsing expert. In the middle of bare hillside he witched an underground stream with great accuracy. With no trees or green grass or anything else to go by he said the water was 16' down and coming from the East. We dug the hillside with a dozer, at about 14' of cut we dug the dry ground with a backhoe and water boiled out of the hole! As we expanded it you could see it running in from the direction he said. I only know of this guy and one other that do it and I've never heard of them being wrong. I'm a believer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back