Head gasket on 2.2 Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it allowed the head to expand slightly more with heat in that area and as a result takes stress off the head gasket and stops it from leaking. I know we did this same thing with the Chrysler 2.2/2.5L for similar reasons. Worked great. I'm at my dads later today and will ask him.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I think it allowed the head to expand slightly more with heat in that area and as a result takes stress off the head gasket and stops it from leaking. I know we did this same thing with the Chrysler 2.2/2.5L for similar reasons. Worked great. I'm at my dads later today and will ask him.

I guess if an engine had a common problem and the factory procedures are not working then I wouldnt say no to a bit of experimentation, but to do so as a general rule I would shy away from.

Last edited:
I will post pictures later but this job only cost about 100 bucks at most. It's very much worth it for cheap Transportation. The cylinders still had visible cross hatching . Runs very good now that it was done. I guess it took about 5 hours total but I stopped to put a starter on a Saturn in between so I probably only had 4.5 hours in it. Not to bad . There ended up already being stopped leak in it from the original owner it didn't do anything . Between that and the Dex cool it was gummy looking.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: StevieC

I guess if an engine had a common problem and the factory procedures are not working then I wouldnt say no to a bit of experimentation, but to do so as a general rule I would shy away from.

Just got back from my dad's. That is exactly why he did it.

I will post pictures later but this job only cost about 100 bucks at most. It's very much worth it for cheap Transportation. The cylinders still had visible cross hatching . Runs very good now that it was done. I guess it took about 5 hours total but I stopped to put a starter on a Saturn in between so I probably only had 4.5 hours in it. Not to bad . There ended up already being stopped leak in it from the original owner it didn't do anything . Between that and the Dex cool it was gummy looking.

Before i would ASSUME it was the head gasket, clean the entire engine off and degrease. use a Pressure tester and verify it isnt something stupid like a thermostat housing/gasket. or a steel line rotted through or rubber hose with a pinhole in it spraying in in that direction.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: Oilis_Oil
Before i would ASSUME it was the head gasket, clean the entire engine off and degrease. use a Pressure tester and verify it isnt something stupid like a thermostat housing/gasket. or a steel line rotted through or rubber hose with a pinhole in it spraying in in that direction.

It's pretty obvious on this engine, that corner is exposed and you can see clearly where it weeps from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back