Why can't people just park?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people insist on cruising parking lots in an effort to save themselves maybe a couple of hundred feet of walking?
This only adds to congestion and saves no time at all.
Me, I usually park far away from other cars and can pull through to a space in the next row to avoid backing out.
I also do this in an effort to avoid unnecessarily increasing the door ding count.
I enter the parking lot, grab a space and am inside the store while the car that entered ahead of me is still cruising for a space.
Why can't people just grab a space and call it good?
Another irritation is people who insist on stopping in front of a store to drop off passengers, holding everybody else up, and then proceed to either park illegally on the curb while waiting or cruise the lot endlessly while doing so. Most of these passengers look like a little walking would do them some good and are perfectly able-bodied although a bit rotund.
What makes it so difficult for people to simply park and be done with it?

My mom was absolutely adamant about finding the closest possible spot to the door she wanted to enter every time she parked and that drove me NUTS.
I park very quickly and away from others whenever I can. A little walking is good for me and time wasted parking is just that...time wasted.

I like to park and walk as well. Esp to avoid the door dings, shopping carts, etc. If it's raining out I run to the car. Plus usually the ones that park close are the same ones that park over the lines closer to your car. Prob a higher chance of getting backed into and the person leaving without a note.

I have a handicapped permit for the days my back is really bad. I find it almost impossible to find handicapped spots available because so many people here have permits because they don't want to walk, yet they will walk miles in Walmart or the mall they are at meanwhile people like me that need the spot have to return home not being able to walk the length of a parking lot.

On the days I don't need it I gladly park far away and walk.

My point is people are weird.
21.gif

x2 don't overthink it, people are weird and lazy usually. End of story.

I always park far away. Less chance of door dings and exercise won't kill me.

There is a mall in Ventura, the Pacific View Mall, which I go to fairly frequently. There is a huge parking lot that people will drive around and around looking for spots, but there is a parking structure also with literally hundreds of usually empty spots that I park in. I didn't even know it existed until I was there with a friend and he pointed it out. Its actually closer and if you park on the top level there is a pedestrian bridge that goes right into the mall.

Even in parking garages at the malls I've noticed most parking by the elevators. So again just park the farthest away from them since that's the last resort for most. Plus no rain to worry about in the parking garage.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I have a handicapped permit for the days my back is really bad. I find it almost impossible to find handicapped spots available because so many people here have permits because they don't want to walk, yet they will walk miles in Walmart or the mall they are at meanwhile people like me that need the spot have to return home not being able to walk the length of a parking lot.

On the days I don't need it I gladly park far away and walk.

My point is people are weird.
21.gif

i saw a couple of guys get into a shouting match over a handicapped spot a few weeks ago. One guy was waiting for traffic to clear so he could pull in and another guy came from the other direction and swooped in on it.

I park way out and walk in. I just don't worry about what everybody else is doing.

I have been talked down to because I'm not pushing a walker or in a wheel chair. As if me walking hunched over and with a slight limp isn't telling enough. Some people...

Originally Posted By: Bud
I park way out and walk in. I just don't worry about what everybody else is doing.

When the aimless and inattentive driving of others in parking lots imperils me and mine, as it does, I worry about it.

I have been talked down to because I'm not pushing a walker or in a wheel chair. As if me walking hunched over and with a slight limp isn't telling enough. Some people...

And yet in your first post you assume that others don't have a legitimate need for their Handicapped Permit...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

When the aimless and inattentive driving of others in parking lots imperils me and mine, as it does, I worry about it.

Aimless and inattentive driving happens daily on the roadways. It doesn't stop people from driving, but it does make some of us pay attention to what is going on around us. It is the same in parking lots. How many people out there complaining about inattentive drivers are walking through the store with their eyes glued to their cell phones and will walk right into you if you let them.

Aimless and inattentive driving on the highways every day is of less concern to me since me and mine are riding in a metal structure of very well proven crashworthiness.
Walking among the clueless and aimless in a parking lot isn't quite the same.
Do you understand the difference?

Was that from your near death car accident ?

Originally Posted By: 02SE

And yet in your first post you assume that others don't have a legitimate need for their Handicapped Permit...

Quite the opposite. There is abuse going on here with quack doctors giving out permits for a fee instead of for those that need it. I would be the first not to judge but I know this to be the case as it has been in the media quite frequently.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Quite the opposite. There is abuse going on here with quack doctors giving out permits for a fee instead of for those that need it. I would be the first not to judge but I know this to be the case as it has been in the media quite frequently.

Sure, there are people that will abuse anything. But you seem to be assuming that everyone that has a disability that you can't immediately identify, is one of the those abusers.

I just find your comments ironic.

I take extra time looking around for a spot that's far enough out of the way (ie safe) where some jamoke still won't end up parking right up tight to me. It invariably happens, no matter how much time I try to find a "perfect" spot where no one should follow. And if I settle for a spot that has decent clearance on either car next to me, usually one of them leaves before me. And then the next guy parks up tight next to me.

My last trip to my Doctor's Office had 3 open spots in his parking lot. None of them would have given me decent clearance on both sides. After spending 5 minutes trying them I gave up. Then drove across a busy 2 lane street to a Super Stop and Shop back side lot where I had plenty of clearance either side of me. Wouldn't you know, when I come out an hour later, some elderly guy has just finished parking next to me on an angle where I can't even get into my car! He was challenged just getting out of his....don't even know how he did it without denting mine. Being 64 myself and nursing a bad back at the time, I couldn't have contorted myself safely without fully opening my door. I called to him as he was walking away and raised my arms in a "what the heck?"... then pointed to our cars. He got the message and came back...offering to move his car...which was nice...and maybe unexpected in today's world. Based on how shakily he backed out, I didn't dare let him try parking again until I left in my car. You can do your best to avoid other people's car's....but they just have a way of finding you. The more you try, the more you attract them....lol.

I always park on the extreme outside edge of the parking lot. If I have to walk a 1000 yards to the store, it's worth it.

Same here .... I park way out and walk in. Others can search out the spaces closer to the store if they want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back