2002 Ford Ranger 3.0 Coolant Green / Yellow

Status
Not open for further replies.
The very helpful owners manual and AllData says to use Motorcraft Gold or Green depending on what it is in from the factory.

It looks like it has both, probably because the body shop filled it with who knows what...

So, a flush is in my future it appears.

I assume Gold would be the preferred fill?

It doesn’t really matter if you’re flushing it. I just flushed and refilled my ‘08 with Prestone green all makes/all models. Zerex G-05 would be fine, too.

Last edited:
The regular 'green' coolant, don't you change that once per year ? I believe so.
Sounds old school.

I've read that Motorcraft Gold is exactly the same as Zerex G-05

Zerex G-05 is good for 5 years or 150,000 miles / bottle shows that it meets Ford spec.

In my 2002 ranger, I'm using the Zerex G-05
Every 2 years, I drain & fill the radiator.

I use Peak Global in my 2003.
It matches Ford specification for the truck.

I’ll pull the radiator cap in the morning and see what that looks like.

The reservoir looks like green floating on top of gold
confused.gif
I had to get to the jack to lower the spare tire and check it and found a bottle of green supertech
mad.gif

This is the problem because I don’t have care custody and control of this thing all the time so I don’t know what some other “helpful” person has done...

Anyway, unless it is positively outrageous I’ll grab some gold motorcraft in the morning (have to visit dealer anyway)...

Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid
The regular 'green' coolant, don't you change that once per year ? I believe so.
Sounds old school.

I've read that Motorcraft Gold is exactly the same as Zerex G-05

Zerex G-05 is good for 5 years or 150,000 miles / bottle shows that it meets Ford spec.

In my 2002 ranger, I'm using the Zerex G-05
Every 2 years, I drain & fill the radiator.

The modern green coolant isn’t the old school stuff. It’s organic like Dex-Cool, Motorcraft, etc, and lasts 150K miles. The old school ethylene glycol is getting hard to find.

Quote:
...I've read that Motorcraft Gold is exactly the same as Zerex G-05

MC Gold is G-05, Zerex G-05 the same.

Depending on manufacture date, 2002 could have come with IAT original green or G-05. Either way I'd go with G-05 with complete flush. As noted, longer service interval than IAT original/conventional green which is generally 2 years max. Only exception I've seen to that is Zerex "Original Green" which states 5years/100k miles. I'd still choose the G-05 here, Zerex OG seems not readily available.

What a mess...

It clearly had both mixed in the coolant reservoir. It had turned to what looked like frog eggs at the bottom - i guess on the good side it clogged the supply/return line and the radiator seemed to be primarily gold...

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
...I've read that Motorcraft Gold is exactly the same as Zerex G-05

MC Gold is G-05, Zerex G-05 the same.

Depending on manufacture date, 2002 could have come with IAT original green or G-05. Either way I'd go with G-05 with complete flush. As noted, longer service interval than IAT original/conventional green which is generally 2 years max. Only exception I've seen to that is Zerex "Original Green" which states 5years/100k miles. I'd still choose the G-05 here, Zerex OG seems not readily available.

Yep...my '01 had green, my later build '02 came with G-05. I have used G-05 and John Deere Cool-Gard II over the years and the cooling system is still spotless throughout with just sporadic radiator drain & fills. Replaced the original water pump at 195K due to the seal leaking and coolant pouring from the weep hole...inside was spotless, the impeller was like new.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
What a mess...

It clearly had both mixed in the coolant reservoir. It had turned to what looked like frog eggs at the bottom - i guess on the good side it clogged the supply/return line and the radiator seemed to be primarily gold...

Sounds like someone topped off the reservoir with Green. There shouldn't be too much radiator mixing in that case.
My 04 Ranger uses the Gold and I substitute the G-05 in it; as Pat Sayjac says they're both the same.

Originally Posted By: TheLoneRanger
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
What a mess...

Sounds like someone topped off the reservoir with Green. There shouldn't be too much radiator mixing in that case.
My 04 Ranger uses the Gold and I substitute the G-05 in it; as Pat Sayjac says they're both the same.

That is precisely what happened.

2 gallons of MC gold (it was actually pretty cheap) and about 14 gallons of distilled water later and all is well, the mixing was confined to the reservoir, it was a real time suck though and then the radiator cap failed as I was standing there watching it on the next to the last flush...

I might add that the “full cold” line on the reservoir is in a difficult to see spot and there is no “full hot”. It is unlikely that it actually needed anything added. The person who added it has been discovered to be a bit of a top up freak and has been instructed to not add anything to anything under my care without speaking to me. (the preferred method is that they not touch it.)

RangerParts.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back