CVTs love or hate them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CKN
Of course-since these news cars will have new technology that make many BITOG members run the other way-

CVT tech hasn't changed a bit and hasn't evolved from the old steel belt design. You think with advancing tech we would see CVT's in trucks right now. Ford even prototyped a toroidal CVT in the early 2000's in the Expedition with the 4.6L but that never made it to market.

I still like them referred to as Continually Vomiting Transmissions.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I still like them referred to as Continually Vomiting Transmissions.
lol.gif

What will you be referring to automatics with 10plus speeds?

The continual hunting/hiccuping transmissions?

They are coming to a dealer near you......
eek.gif
smile.gif

Last edited:
CKN, as opposed to fake shift points in a CVT? Just wait until those become sloppy an irritable.

Nothing wrong with a 10 speed if it's done properly. Problem is "Domestic" makers suck at it.

CKN, as opposed to fake shift points in a CVT? Just wait until those become sloppy an irritable.

Nothing wrong with a 10 speed if it's done properly. Problem is "Domestic" makers suck at it.

Nothing wrong with CVTs when done properly as well. There are good examples currently on the road.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too. The past two months unfortunately I spent more time than I wanted driving one. The more I drove it the less I liked it.

Show me one with 200,000 miles that isn't sloppy or already toast.
grin2.gif

C'mon-there isn't a conventional transmission that shifts like new either........it's the nature of the beast.

Last edited:
grin2.gif

Cue bbhero....
grin2.gif

grin2.gif

C'mon-there isn't a conventional transmission that shifts like new either........it's the nature of the beast.

My Santa Fe was perfect until 300K Miles (535,000km) when it died.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
What I hate even more...CVT's that "shift" - what - a - crock

They should be able to have 2 programs and you can have whatever you want with just a software update. That would be ideal.

OE's take note!
wink.gif

grin2.gif

My Santa Fe was perfect until 300K Miles (535,000km) when it died.
wink.gif

The issue is that degradation is so gradual you are not going to notice it- and you have nothing to compare it to since new was......many years ago.

I agree with StevieC here. The woopty Doo shifting CVTs are not good. My car has a manual mode which is very, very helpful in the mountains for helping slow the car down a steep grade. It worked wonderfully in the Green mts in Vermont while on vacation there. Hardly hard to use the brakes= very good. Then my car obviously as a regular mode which is very good. I think one thing we all have to keep in mind that a transmission and motor is how well they work together. Poorly selected motor and a good transmission would still be underwhelming. Or like my mom's Ford expedition where the lovely traditional transmission did not last 125k miles.... And now the second transmission is not doing right either. It's just going to break down again soon. That Triton motor now is fantastic. So, it is a combination that you have to look at here guys. I strongly think my VQ 3.5 is a better marriage of motor and transmission than the 2.5 or smaller motors are. I also like my generation of CVT is far better than this latest generation. The latest generation of CVT is ALWAYS looking for "better" gas mileage. It's annoying to drive. You can't just cruise like in my car. And... I don't think that good for the CVT either.

The wife and I both like the CVT in her Nissan Quest van. 82k miles and no issues to date.
Do a drain and fill every 30k.

Last edited:
In my line of work I get to test drive all makes and models of newer vehicles. I would have to say that Fiat Chrysler and Mitsubishi have the poorest working cvts i have ever drove. toyota ones work ok in their corolla but not the best. subarus are ok too but still not my favorite. nissans are the first loser to honda. They have the best working ones i have drove yet. cvt transmissions have fewer internal parts and are cheaper and lighter than a regular transmission. in a light vehicle they are ok but in heavier vehicles they should not be equipped. light duty and cheap.throwaway transmissions. not much fixing them and i havent heard of anyone willing to rebuild one yet. I also see a bunch of codes in the nissans for the CVT "JUDDER" problem.
here is a link
NISSAN CVT JUDDER problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back