High Mileage oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My civic has 170,000 miles and been on a steady diet of 5w20 Quaker state green bottle. Recently developed a small oil leak,or really a seep. I was thinking of switching the oil to a higher mileage type. Think I should stay brand loyal with quaker state and try there HM,or do you all recommend another choice? Thanks for your time everyone. Hope you all enjoy your weekend!

QSHM is fine, as is Pennzoil HM, M1 HM, VML HM and any others. If you want to stay brand loyal, the QSHM will suit you just fine. Otherwise, just go with whatever is on sale.

The Quaker State will be just fine for your Civic. One opinion I read on here quite a bit is that if this is a valve cover gasket the better option is to replace. If we are talking a rear main seal or something that is involved, the the high mileage oils are a good interim fix.

QSHM 5w-30 50% QSHM 5W-20,,,Might help, oil will be just a bit thicker.

I have used liqi-moly motor oil saver add. with good results fwiw.

with those miles maybe a full sump of QSHM 5w-30 would be better.

Last edited:
Appears to be oil pan? Thanks for your input...I will grab some QSHM. Car runs great,no rust. I will try a few oci's of the HM before pulling the pan. Now you got me thinking...5w20 or 5w30? Been on 5w20 all its life so far?

Originally Posted By: mrjlube
Appears to be oil pan? Thanks for your input...I will grab some QSHM. Car runs great,no rust. I will try a few oci's of the HM before pulling the pan. Now you got me thinking...5w20 or 5w30? Been on 5w20 all its life so far?

If it's not burning or using any oil and is just a small leak, I'd use 5w-20 QSHM, usually available at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back