Do you need noise to sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using a box or stand fan since my teenage years, a trick from my dad who worked rotating shift for decades. Hard for me to sleep without air moving and noise deadening.

I've had mild tinnitus as long as I can remember, it has increased significantly since my chemotherapy regimen which was a known risk.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I can sleep anywhere, even at rock concerts.

I sleep the *most* soundly with earplugs in, lying near 4 Alison/Rolls-Royce T56's "droning" their Hamilton Standard 14 foot props... something about that particular frequency.

As a pilot, you'll like this - - -

A pilot I knew in Alaska named Doug Armstrong fell asleep in his Taylorcraft, (trimmed perfectly straight and level), over the mountains of Alaska. He woke up when the engine ran out of fuel, hours later. He actually found a place to land it, but it had to be disassembled and hauled out later. IIRC, he was flying towards the interior of Alaska, as well.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Interesting. Strange but true.. I will get an old NASCAR race on my phone and play it as I go to sleep at times. I enjoy hearing Bob Jenkins, Benny, and Ned calling a race. Plus the sounds of the cars being repetitive helps strangely enough.

I have had a theory for some time that a lot of us are tuned to fall asleep to very low level talking that isn't particularly interesting. Where did this come from? School classes and boring teachers.

Been sleeping with a white noise maker since I was about 25. Now 70 and cannot sleep without it.

I have had severe tinnitus since 1991 desert storm, so I have to have some sort of noise going constantly, I always have a Vornado air cleaner going, plus AM talk radio all night as well.

I used to live walking distance from Toronto's Pearson Airport. A very busy airport 24/7, we also had regular passenger train and cargo train service tracks behind the house. From there we moved out to the country where it was dead quiet.

I can sleep with any amount of noise. I'm lucky I guess.
grin2.gif

I do need a fan or the room to be very cool, and I need complete darkness though.

Last edited:
We did 5 hours circling through deicing at Pearson - onced clear ~ the flight was just 3 hours …
There were only 3 of us in the front of the plane and they kept us deiced too
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
We did 5 hours circling through deicing at Pearson - onced clear ~ the flight was just 3 hours …
There were only 3 of us in the front of the plane and they kept us deiced too
wink.gif

Yeah I sat in a plane in the deicing area for almost 2 hour waiting for the all clear to take off on our trip to Cuba. It was snowing buckets that day.

No, I like quiet. But I've slept with fans on. I think it just has to be white noise--anything repetitive is harder to ignore.

Strangely enough, I need it desperately. I had bad allergies growing up, so my parents bought me an air filtration machine. The thing whirred louder than a fan every night. Since I have been sleeping with a humming machine all my life, sleeping without white noise is extremely stressful for me. If there is no noise, my brain runs amok, thoughts pacing at 100mph. I consider this a curse. Because it is hugely limiting to require white noise when I am visiting someone else, or away on vacation.

Last edited:
A little noise doesn't bother me but neither does silence nor a little light.
Once I'm really sound asleep, even a lot of noise won't usually awaken me.
We rarely set the alarm clock since I can always wake up around five and get moving on workdays.
Wife usually wakes up around 5:30 and if not I'll awaken her.
The one requirement we have is for a cool room in which to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back