Sea Foam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a fan, I think it is way over priced for what it is. I like Berrymans B-12 better, not sure I would use it in oil though.

The only Seafoam product I use is the Trans Tune for GM 4T60 / 4T65E transmissions,
great on slow shifts and hard shifts, not recommended for shudder issues.

You can use it but it won't really do much. The 3 ingredients are...

40-60% Pale oil - Thin oil that's why it smokes
25-35% Napata - A basic solvent Can find in some carb cleaners
10-20% IPA (Isopropyl alcohol) - Same active ingredient in rubbing alcohol.

https://www.msdsdigital.com/sea-foam-msds

As you can see there is not much solvent in there and naphtha is a very common one at that. If you want to help your car, esp after its got some miles on it, is get the CRC Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner and clean the MAF sensor. Then get a can of spray carb cleaner and spray out the throttle body, intake, and PCV lines.

It gets way too much credit. Probably 90% of sales are due to the white smoke it produces.

HOWEVER, if you watch Project Farm's youtube video where he uses it in his old Ranger, you'll be amazed at what it can do to some vehicles.

Amsoil P.I. or VP Racing Fuels Fuel System Cleaner for the gas tank part of it. Amsoil power-foam for the throttle body etc. and nothing in the oil. Only a quality Synthetic.

I have racked up a ton of miles and never had an issue.

No additive or dope or cleaner is needed or called for by any owners manual that I have ever seen. Millions of vehicles have went well past the 200K to 300K club with just basic maintenance, regular conventional oil changes and air filter changes and the cheapest fuel and no extra additives. But I suppose if one insists on adding a fuel additive, avoid seafoam as it is not an approved fuel additive that the DOT/EPA approves to be used by fuel suppliers. At least Techron is an additive that fuel suppliers use in order to make their top tier fuels, but if you already use a top tier detergent fuel, dumping in extra techron probably wont do much, but drain the wallet, as more is not always better.

I love Sea Foam. It's the only thing I have found that stabilizes gas long term.
Since I started using Sea Foam as a gasoline stabilizer the brass jets in my motorcycles have stopped turn green and crusty white and clogging.
Sometimes my ATVs dit for years. Stabil doesn't seem to cut it. Great for 2 months top. Berryman is too agressive. It cleans and dislikes plastic. If you have a issue with carbon,grime or sludge Berryman will disolve it. All these cleaners are too harsh for oil. MMO is all I ll use in the engine oil.

Useful for, what it's useful for.

Last week I dug out a near 20 year old consumer chainsaw that didn't run, didn't even cough or pop. Bought it 5 years ago for $5, like new but it didn't run when I tried it then, never got back to it.

Drained the old mix, put in fresh e-free/Stihl Platinum mix, nothing.

Put in SeaFoam, primed and pulled a bit to get it into the carb, and let it sit overnight. (Just didn't have time to deal with it at the moment.) Drained Seafoam out the day after next, put in my mix, and it ran. Just like that. It still has issues- not sure if it's leaking air into a cracked primer bulb or old fuel line, or maybe it still needs the carb to be rebuilt. But the difference was there, immediate, and if not amazing, definite.

I only use seafoam for off season storage... and swear by it.
I have have never had to rebuild a carb that was left with a splash of seafoam in tank over the winter.

Last edited:
I seem to disagree with the nay sayers.
Whenever I have spring startup or running issues in vehicles and equipment a shot of Seafoam in the gas, a few cranks to get it in the carb than an overnight wait for action and problems are all gone.
And for cost, how much does a carb removal and cleaning cost in comparison. Five or six bucks at WalMart is cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back