Fram Extra Guard 3980 4500 miles/2 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4467809/PH3980_cut_open

Here's my PH3980 C 'n P.

The fiber end cap nubs look worn/bad/frayed on this one too.

I thought you were also commenting on the end cap material on the ADBV.

The "worn" nubs on the end caps don't concern me one bit. Rest assured, both were straight.

It may be the small gap for oil flow combined with a strong oil pump moves the end cap points against the can, and that is what I thought was talked about as the debris source. The end cap on the base plate side on yours has flattened beaten up points, or nubs, as well, that's what the picture shows. Right side. Pictures worth 1000 words.

It may be the small gap for oil flow combined with a strong oil pump moves the end cap points against the can, and that is what I thought was talked about as the debris source. The end cap on the base plate side on yours has flattened beaten up points, or nubs, as well, that's what the picture shows. Right side. Pictures worth 1000 words.

Well I'll say that if nub wear is your major concern, it looks like the filter did very well.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Well I'll say that if nub wear is your major concern, it looks like the filter did very well.

Sure it held up well, VERY well, sure it did. Can't see a thing wrong here, no funny stuff under the rubber, can't see it, just can't.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Sure it held up well, VERY well, sure it did. Can't see a thing wrong here, no funny stuff under the rubber, can't see it, just can't.
laugh.gif

The filter was on the vehicle for 2 years. That is 4X what Fram recommends.

The nubs are there to keep the filter centered during manufacturing. Once assembled, their need goes down.

It's almost as if the nubs were not only flattened, but also rounded. Almost as if the media was snugly fit in some sort of cylinder shaped tube?

Wonder what that's from.
21.gif

It's almost as if the nubs were not only flattened, but also rounded. Almost as if the media was snugly fit in some sort of cylinder shaped tube?

Wonder what that's from.
21.gif

Really? I wonder if there is some sort of outer container for that filter element?

Well the nubs see a lot of flow, not being steel but fibers, that's why they get rubbed and messed up sometimes. Let's see some pics of new nubs and compare to used nubs. If either is frayed it is not a good nub. I don't remember a new frayed nub though, but could be.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back