Any alternatives to using Motorcraft's 80W-90...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rear axle lube? This is for my daughters 2008 Ford Escape. It's almost impossible to find Motorcraft 80W-90 Premium rear axle lube where I live. I've heard of additive packages that may not be in other brands of oil. Can I say use Mobil 1 80W-90 synthetic or a Valvoline product?

Nothing special about it. I highly doubt an escape has a limited slip differential. I would just go down to a parts store/walmart/your favorite place to buy oil and buy a name brand 80W90. Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil. Whatever is on the shelf and cheap.

Last edited:
The Motorcraft is nothing special. Walmart or NAPA will have several.

Not sure I would go for Amsoil in an Escape. But you could.

The proper fill level is 3-5 mm below the fill hole.

Thanks to all for responding! When you say 3-5mm below fill hole what do you base that on? I thought you fill it till the oil runs out of the hole?

Originally Posted By: JoeJ
Thanks to all for responding! When you say 3-5mm below fill hole what do you base that on? I thought you fill it till the oil runs out of the hole?

You can; I dont think it really harms anything. They want it lower because more oil provides more resistance so you lose 0.1% fuel economy.
To figure out the level, use a allen key as a dipstick. Just stick the short end in the hole and dip it in the oil. 3-5mm is around 1/8 inch.

Excellent advice Colt45ws. In a class I took, you need to fill to the point where sticking your pinky finger in you can feel it on you pad of pinky.

Just fill it to the bottom of the hole. No science here and use any 80-w-90 GL5 lube. There is nothing special about Motorcraft unless you ask the dealer parts guy.

Last edited:
Thank You All! Colt 45 that allen key trick is great. I was wondering how to measure it. I'm going to go with Lucas 80W-90 gear oil. It is an GL-5 oil that meets or exceeds Fords specs.

Most AZ, AAP, OR, or Napa stores will have M1 75W-90 on the shelf fairly cheap if you want a synthetic. Walmart usually has a few brands of 75W-90 synthetic or 80W-90 conventional for a good price.

Thank You All! Colt 45 that allen key trick is great. I was wondering how to measure it. I'm going to go with Lucas 80W-90 gear oil. It is an GL-5 oil that meets or exceeds Fords specs.
I'm told some of the expert posters on here use their x-ray vision to verify levels and their pinky can perform chemical analysis!
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back