Total Shock -- 45 years old & having first child??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cujet
When I turned 50, I suddenly realized that I made a large mistake not having children. If I could go back in time, I'd have 3! Really.

Its easy to say now. Its like saying I wish I were in the military during Vietnam. Kids are not always what they are cracked up to be. I personally think you are a genius
cheers3.gif

My friend, you have won the lottery. You have been blessed. And now the adventure of a lifetime begins. Congratulations. This is even better than a UOA with less than 5ppm iron or better than Mobil 1 on sale at Costco. And the baby will be more fun than changing your engine oil or even checking your tire pressures.

My dad was 49 when I was born, he always told me he had bursitis and couldn't play catch or shoot hoops with me as a result. He tried to teach me how to ride a bike and couldn't run along with me, so he just gave me a shove and then yelled at me when I fell over. A friend finally taught me by running with me and dad was super mad that I didn't let him teach me!
Mom and dad both thought that exercise was ridiculous and the idea of exerting one's self except when part of a task or job was horrifying to them. If they didn't have something in particular to do, they were sitting down with a drink in one hand and a smoke in the other. Dad was pretty strong in some ways because he had to start working at the age of 8 when his dad died, and he had powerful forearms and hands in particular...I think he would have rather driven a nail into his forehead than pump iron in a gym. I started to get interested in strength training in HS and would always lift when he couldn't see me to avoid ridicule...I always like to ride my bike and would do it just for fun as well as to get somewhere. I started to play baseball again when I got older and dearly loved it, but knew I would never be much good since I had little background in it (at least I was strong enough to knock the ball out there when I made contact and fast enough to chase stuff down).

Fast forward 40 years and a friend of mine had two kids as he approached 50, but he has been fit his whole life and still loves to play sports and exercise. I see him post lots of pictures engaging in all kinds of physical activities with his kids and they sure seem to be having a great time.

My message...take care of your health for the sake of your kid and make sure he/she gets to have the same physical fun with you that any kid should have!

I was really late 30's and I didn't even like kids. I was scared to death.
Now it's one of the best things to ever happen to me. It's a blessing to you two. Congrats!

Originally Posted By: thorromig
My GF just informed me last nite that she is pregnant,

How long have you known her? Seems like she's pretty smart and feisty based on the thread about her buying the new Jetta. And wanting to stick to 10k oil changes.

I don't get it, if you're 45, that means you've had PLENTY of time to **** around and enjoy YOUR LIFE up to this point. Now it's time to get down to business.

If it wasn't for this sudden shock, were you ever planning to have a kid? Sounds like it wasn't in the cards for you AT ALL.

I'm 30 and am expecting my second son in January. My first son is gonna be 5 in January (LOL) and I can't imagine my world without him. He's everything to me and I Live to make OUR LIFE as best as it can be.

Stop being selfish. You've had 45 years of worrying only about your [censored] and enjoying life. I think it well past the time to settle down.

My GF just informed me last nite that she is pregnant, she repeated her pregnancy test today this morning when she woke up -- for sure its positive. I am in total shock for various reasons, I am a home owner & she is 37 with no prior children neither. This was not planned or premeditated at the least. Lots of things going through my mind at this moment. TOTAL life changer, children/babies are a "huge" responsibility on a daily basis. Not sure what to make of this at the moment.
You sure it's yours?? Lol in all seriousness, I was 35 and my wife was 37 when our son was born. It's a blast!!

Congrats! Regardless of your life choices, if you keep the kid(s), they are a tremendous amount of work, test of frustration and large sums of money. At first they might not cost much but it will add up. Then comes baby sitters and juggling that mess. You also cannot work as many shifts or as long of shifts so you will have to seriously plan financially.

My wife and I have two kids, love them but cannot stand them... As much as I can talk about the reduced sleep, financial burden and test of frustration, I would not change a thing. When your kid is old enough to look at you, say they love you and hug you, it was worth it.

As well, we had our kids much younger (early and mid 20's) so it was easy to dig deep and find the energy to keep running because kids will never run out of [censored] energy!!

Good luck with whatever route you choose!

Congratulations. It will be a huge life change. I had kids later then most of my friends back in the day(I was 28 when first one was born) and it was hard on me at first going from getting to do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted to being more restricted. I eventually got over that.

The part about having kids that sucked later in life was when I got divorced and my ex-wife got primary custody. You then go from being an every day dad to a part time dad and that was very hard to get used to. The financial burden after the divorce was also very hard to deal with.

I wish you all of the luck in the world and enjoy that baby.

Originally Posted By: Artem
I don't get it, if you're 45, that means you've had PLENTY of time to **** around and enjoy YOUR LIFE up to this point. Now it's time to get down to business.

If it wasn't for this sudden shock, were you ever planning to have a kid? Sounds like it wasn't in the cards for you AT ALL.

I'm 30 and am expecting my second son in January. My first son is gonna be 5 in January (LOL) and I can't imagine my world without him. He's everything to me and I Live to make OUR LIFE as best as it can be.

Stop being selfish. You've had 45 years of worrying only about your [censored] and enjoying life. I think it well past the time to settle down.

+1

I am a home owner

This is ideal then. You can just make room for the child and won't have to move to a bigger place.

Appreciate all the feedback. All is good & overall -- just want a happy/healthy baby. I just want to do whats right for my girlfriend & baby coming. Contemplating getting married now & hoping THAT decision does not come back & haunt me one day?? Baby will be number one priority no matter what. Still have not told either of our Familys just yet. Probably gonna wait till after the new year & surprise everyone. Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back