Packing at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
My solution to this issue was to work very hard right out of college so I could afford to live in an area where this issues is of virtually zero concern.

Ah, the put your head in the sand offense/defense.

Million dollar houses in a neighborhood full of doctors, attorneys, and corporate executives. Safest place in the world. Until one day,it wasnt. Crime doesn't take time off.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire,_Connecticut,_home_invasion_murders

I'm not at all concerned. I've never lived in an area where this happens and I don't see any need for a gun at all. Never felt the need or want for a gun in my life. I'm not at all against guns, just haven't ever seen the need for one personally.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
fdcg27 said:
In a home invasion any weapon not on your body is worthless.
Its been reported that some of them are starting to wear bullet proof vest..

In Australia if someone home invades you and you kill him YOU get done for murder. If you cripple him YOU get done for assault.

For the last nigh on 2 years we have been living with the possibility of the scum neighbors pulling a home invasion, have items around the house so no matter where I am I can lay hands on something to defend my family. Already told the police there's nothing here worth dying over.

i know nova well, and indeed vienna is nice, comfy, wealthy and safe...until it isn’t. that said, keeping a firearm at home is worthless if you are unfamiliar and unpracticed with it. with all respect, i hope that someday you may decide that a lawful firearm is a handy tool to own, but only before, not after a traumatic learning event. and parenthetically, everyone who i have seen safely introduced to shooting actually enjoys it.

i generally carry a bond arms 410/45lc derringer with me at home and it goes on my bedstand at night. a naa 22lr mini revolver slips nicely in my pocket too, with a flashlight and a swiss army knife, as simple everday habit tools. i have other firearms kept securely.

I'm not at all concerned. I've never lived in an area where this happens and I don't see any need for a gun at all. Never felt the need or want for a gun in my life. I'm not at all against guns, just haven't ever seen the need for one personally.

It should be that way for everyone... I am happy for you.
I am not concerned.... just prepared.

Interesting to note, the Menendez story is on NBC Dateline right now.

I dont normally pack at home
I do have some targets set up in my yard for .22

A shotgun by my bed just in case.

I do ocasionally walk my property line with a 6 shooter on my hip. More for my cowboy dream that never happened lol.

My solution to this issue was to work very hard right out of college so I could afford to live in an area where this issues is of virtually zero concern.

Shrug.

My solution to this issue was to work very hard right out of college and end up with nothing worth stealing.

But as a plan that would rather suck.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Very low crime in my area. Maybe because everyone's packing?

Or maybe because it's always 420 in Colorado
lol.gif

I know you're being humorous. But Colorado law stipulated it was up to counties and local municipalities to decide whether or not to sell MJ. They don't sell it where I live.

Originally Posted By: peejaycruiser
In Australia if someone home invades you and you kill him YOU get done for murder. If you cripple him YOU get done for assault.

For the last nigh on 2 years we have been living with the possibility of the scum neighbors pulling a home invasion, have items around the house so no matter where I am I can lay hands on something to defend my family. Already told the police there's nothing here worth dying over.

We are fortunate enough to still be able to defend our homes/life's in TX.

Sorry for your situation.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
Originally Posted By: peejaycruiser

We are fortunate enough to still be able to defend our homes/life's in TX.

Sorry for your situation.

Yeah we don't got that luxury. Unless the law changed recently if I break into your house and hurt myself, I can sue you for hurting myself breaking in. It's [censored] disgusting how the criminals have all the rights. At the moment we can't get the police to do anything other than ignore us or tell us we are not to call again. I know why the last lot of drug dealers was protected by the police just can't work out why the current lot is protected as well. Last lot tried running my kids down with their car and the police refused to deal with it.

Last edited:
I don't live in the ghetto, so no, I don't carry at home. Actually I don't carry anywhere.

My 9mm is in the top drawer of my dresser and my .22 rifle is in my closet. My doors are locked at night, of course, so I'm not too concerned. They open outwards, they aren't gonna get kicked in. Break a window, I've got 5 dogs that'll bark their heads off.

Originally Posted By: jstert
i know nova well, and indeed vienna is nice, comfy, wealthy and safe...until it isn’t. that said, keeping a firearm at home is worthless if you are unfamiliar and unpracticed with it. with all respect, i hope that someday you may decide that a lawful firearm is a handy tool to own, but only before, not after a traumatic learning event. and parenthetically, everyone who i have seen safely introduced to shooting actually enjoys it.

i generally carry a bond arms 410/45lc derringer with me at home and it goes on my bedstand at night. a naa 22lr mini revolver slips nicely in my pocket too, with a flashlight and a swiss army knife, as simple everday habit tools. i have other firearms kept securely.

Thanks for trying to look out for me, but that isn't going to happen. I seriously doubt I will ever have a firearm of any kind. Just not something I am interested in. Fwiw, I have taken several gun safety courses and shot dozens of different guns. Guns are cool and a neat hobby for sure, I just don't need one and can't ever see myself needing one.

Y'all stay positive. IIRC I read somewhere that in the US, twice as many people shoot themselves as get shot by someone else.

(I suppose it is an easier target)

Guns are cool and a neat hobby for sure, I just don't need one and can't ever see myself needing one.

No one can unless they can see into the future. It's no different than wearing a seat belt or carrying a spare tire. You are always prepared in case you do need it. Rather than wishing and hoping you never do.

I guess I just don't see it that way. So many stats say that if you own a gun you are far more likely to be involved in violence using a gun. Not willing to needlessly add my name to that list when I absolutely don't need a gun.

I'd rather live in a world where people don't need guns than one where people do. I've never needed one or even wished I had one, and I don't see that changing.

Thank you for your concern, but it is not necessary.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Y'all stay positive. IIRC I read somewhere that in the US, twice as many people shoot themselves as get shot by someone else.

(I suppose it is an easier target)

Correct, but due to suicides. The anti-gun folks like to use suicides in the their gun stats, which is intended to be deliberately misleading.

And you won’t with that attitude until it’s too late.

26 people in a church in Texas never imagined evil would come in their door. We play the odds every day that it will happen to someone else or it can't/won't happen here. Some of us choose to be able to do something if we hit those odds.

I guess I just don't see it that way. So many stats say that if you own a gun you are far more likely to be involved in violence using a gun. Not willing to needlessly add my name to that list when I absolutely don't need a gun.

I'd rather live in a world where people don't need guns than one where people do. I've never needed one or even wished I had one, and I don't see that changing.

Thank you for your concern, but it is not necessary.

Do you have any idea on how many thousands-upon-thousands of innocent, unarmed, deceased victims say you are are dead-wrong of your opinion? People are murdered every day in the classiest, upscale neighborhoods.

NEVER let someone point a gun in your direction, without having the ability to react in the same manner. Then train yourself on how to move abruptly and awkwardly, thus drawing / aiming / firing your weapon right at him. In those situations, never reach for your gun standing still.... not with a gun pointed directly at you.

Train - train -train, for perps that may choose to shoot & kill you, in a moment's notice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back