Tools of the Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do a lot of wrenching at the plant I work at. Our garage has tools supplied by the company but since they are common use (everyone has access to them) I got sick of tracking down ratchets, sockets, wrenches, etc and bought my own set from Home Depot (Husky brand). I keep those locked in my locker. They have held up very well and I use them quite a bit.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

90% of automotive technicians never make it past 5 years in the field & they end up selling off all their tools for 20% of what they paid.

The best advice I can give is......Slow down & use the tools you have!
The BEST tool you have is between you ears....Hone that first, Good tools can be bought later on AFTER you get a few years of real world experience under your belt. I promise you that the courses your taking are NOT preparing you for what's to come.

Honestly, I don't really have time to slow down and I only have about two years to get some good basic tools at least before I start seriously pursuing being a tech. I can't get through the field without metric wrenches either, so I need those at least. I also would not get rid of my tools for cheap even if I left the field because I would still need them for myself. I like doing this stuff, so I would like the tools whether or not it's my job, because it will still be a hobby and money saver.

Also, the instructors are pretty honest on what we will be doing in the field. Example: They said we will probably not going to be measuring every engine component before assembling a brand new one on flat-rate pay.
That being said, I am mostly interested in basics. I am not wanting scan tools, expensive boxes, and all the testing equipment available. I am trying to be as minimalistic as possible at the time while covering the major things.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MathewC
Also, do most people prefer the ergonomic Snap-On ratchets or chrome-handled ones? I would also like to know if the weaker handle will imply a lesser warranty.

I like the chrome handle except of the turned grooves; they dig into my middle finger when I'm grasping it. The current soft grip handles feel great. Warranty coverage is the same for both handles.

Also, do most people prefer the ergonomic Snap-On ratchets or chrome-handled ones? I would also like to know if the weaker handle will imply a lesser warranty.

Can't you feel the stuff before you buy it? What you prefer and what others prefer are 2 different things.

Honestly, I don't really have time to slow down and I only have about two years to get some good basic tools at least before I start seriously pursuing being a tech. I can't get through the field without metric wrenches either, so I need those at least. I also would not get rid of my tools for cheap even if I left the field because I would still need them for myself. I like doing this stuff, so I would like the tools whether or not it's my job, because it will still be a hobby and money saver.

Buy a "short set" of metric wrenches.....10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 21.....Fill in the blanks with the SAE wrenches you have.
9/32"= 7mm
5/16"= 8mm
7/16"= 11mm
5/8"= 16mm
3/4"= 19mm
7/8"= 22mm
15/16"= 24mm

1", 1 1/16", 1 1/8" 1 3/16, 1 1/4" wrenches will do almost any large A/C fitting you run across.

I only buy Snap-On wrenches because they fit ME the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back