What is your favorite gas station and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
QT for me due to them having top tier gasoline. Years ago I was a gas marketing rep for QT when they were introducing the guaranteed gas program. My wife's car gets a CEL when she buys gas at random stations but goes out when she gets QT fuel. Sidebar: previously mentioned Kwik Trip stores based out of Wisconsin are called Kwik Star in Iowa. I disagree with QT coffee review. Nasty!

Last edited:
Kwik Trip.

In my area (Jefferson, WI), the station sells premium diesel. It is the usual Kwik Trip formula. Clean, bright, and a fantastic convenience store. They even sell 91 octane, ethanol free gasoline that works great in my lawn mower and snow blower.

When I go up to my cabin in northern Minnesota, I stop at the Kwik Trip in Superior, WI on the way up and the Kwik Trip in Mauston, WI on the way back. The Mauston station sells a premium biodiesel product that my LBZ Duramax loves.

It's hard to leave the midwest and have to use stations other than Kwik Trip.

Last edited:
Without a doubt my favorite is Costco. Up here in Ontario it's not only top tier but their premium is also ethanol free! Plus the price of premium at Costco is often less than the price of 87 octane at all the other gas stations around.

My second favorite is Shell, which also sells ethanol free top tier premium up here but the price is higher than Costco.

My third favorite is one that just popped up here in Canada, we now have Mobil stations. This is the best choice if I want to run 93 octane premium, as Costco and Shell only have 91 octane (my Corvette recommends 93, so I definitely need to use that in the warmer weather to avoid a loss of horsepower) Mobil has ethanol in it though.

Fourth favorite is Petro Canada, they sell 94 octane which is also Top Tier but has ethanol in it.

The cheapest , generally . But I have found the gas sold by one of the supermarket chains to be competitive with the convenience stores and often better quality gas ( more MPG's ) .

Phillips 66.
the station is on the ramp I exit I-70
high volume,fresh gas.
top tier
my kick back card lowers the price 3 cents
kick back points are good for purchases.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Bp because it is what goes through my pipeline and the rewards thing is easy to use.
There's a pipeline from BP in Whiting IN that feeds most of this areas. 80% of the brands (BP, Shell, Phillips, Casey's) get this gas. One of the terminals is a couple miles away.

And yes the rewards card is easy to use with them. Currently using a Discover card and getting 5% back until April. So I get gas wherever it's cheapest.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Bp because it is what goes through my pipeline and the rewards thing is easy to use.
There's a pipeline from BP in Whiting IN that feeds most of this areas. 80% of the brands (BP, Shell, Phillips, Casey's) get this gas. One of the terminals is a couple miles away.

And yes the rewards card is easy to use with them. Currently using a Discover card and getting 5% back until April. So I get gas wherever it's cheapest.

That is what my pipeline is feed off of. Bp still owns the line over to Iowa but sold the line in Iowa to my company.

BP does not own the pipeline, Texas something or other does. It's been there for years and use to feed the Phillips terminal in Kankakee, IL. This has been sold too and Phillips no longer owns it.

One town near me has two BP stations but they don't get the gas from the same location, or did not use to. The premium was 93 at this station which was a Amoco stations and it has been around since the 50's. But now all the premium around here for the most part is 93 octane.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
BP does not own the pipeline, Texas something or other does. It's been there for years and use to feed the Phillips terminal in Kankakee, IL. This has been sold too and Phillips no longer owns it.

One town near me has two BP stations but they don't get the gas from the same location, or did not use to. The premium was 93 at this station which was a Amoco stations and it has been around since the 50's. But now all the premium around here for the most part is 93 octane.

The chunk of line that goes to Dubuque Iowa that is feed from Whiting is Bp owned essentially keeping my line locked into them as a sole supplier. There are several former Bp lines over InThe Chicago are that bp sold off. My company owns several of them.

Bp owns partnership in other lines also. Even around here they move their product down a different line depending on price.

We are fortunate here in Northern California to have a plethora of Chevron stations in that they are based out of San Ramon. In the million miles I have driven, I have probably filled up less than 40 times at other stations and only because there was no Chevron around. I’ve found that all of my vehicles have run impeccably well on Chevron. Never had a fuel system related issue. I’d wager that Chevron and Techron are the highest quality fuel in the industry (speculative conjecture, maybe).

Last edited:
If I visited the USA, I would love to go to one of those quaint out in the stick stations, where you can soak up the view, chat to the proprietor, buy some of their homemade/homegrown produce in the shops and hopefully have get to look at some of their classic cars round the back.
Here in the UK they are nearly all dull - bland packaged food, dull staff, cookie cutter concrete corporate replicas of each other. Very few with any character left.

For Gas only, Superamerica. Why? Top Tier, and for the octane rating, seems to provide the beat Octane Adjustment Ratio in my Ecoboost F150 per data from Torque, and when I'm towing, I get 10 cents of gallon on Premium using their rewards card. The downside is most of their stations are starting to feel pretty run down...

After that, Kwik Trip or Holiday for Gas and Convenience Store, particularly Kwik Trip if Food is needed.

Shell generally gives good Octane for the fuel bought but the stations are all independent, so its like a box of chocolates - the good ones are nice, and the bad ones, shudder...

BP stations are a dying breed in Minnesota. Amazing to see what has become of what was once a pretty large network in the state going back to the Amoco days...

The reality is I haven't ever gotten what I'd call bad gas, just certain pieces of equipment that seem to like gas from one place or another (and yes, I know the story that all gas comes from the same place, except when it doesn't, like this area with two refineries with strong ties to certain brands...)

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes
If I visited the USA, I would love to go to one of those quaint out in the stick stations, where you can soak up the view, chat to the proprietor, buy some of their homemade/homegrown produce in the shops and hopefully have get to look at some of their classic cars round the back.
Here in the UK they are nearly all dull - bland packaged food, dull staff, cookie cutter concrete corporate replicas of each other. Very few with any character left.

Sometimes those middle of nowhere places are best avoided...I remember stopping at some tiny old station near the TX/AR border and having one attendant say something to the other about not liking longhairs and Jews in his station (I was the longhair in this equation).
We were pretty sure these dudes were armed and were checking the mirrors for quite some time after getting the heck out of there in a hurry.
Small town America is not all Andy Griffith and bake sales!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back