New Moxzilla Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can I prevent Firefox from automatically updating to version 57? I see the upgrade button in "About" for the v57 update, but recall it doing an auto update for past version updates. I want to decide if and when I update to v57.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
How can I prevent Firefox from automatically updating to version 57? I see the upgrade button in "About" for the v57 update, but recall it doing an auto update for past version updates. I want to decide if and when I update to v57.

Tools... Options... General... scroll down to Firefox Updates...

Allow Firefox to:
- Check for updates but let you choose to install them

Im all for ALT browsers, too much power in Google/Microsoft, given the two I now trust Microsoft Edge more then Chrome.

I also use Firefox and Opera.
Years past I was never a fan of Opera and I have ALWAYS used all 4 browsers and more, past years I thnk I could say I have used Firefox more.

But this year, the new versions of Opera on my desktops and my smart phone is my go to browser. I really taken a liking to Opera, less so Firefox. Also if you want, on the desktop browser Opera gives you a free VPN if you turn it on in the settings, it works pretty good. Anything free isnt free and the Opera VPN isnt as complete as SOME paid for VPNs but its better then nothing for sure.

I went to 57 on accident, but it is working much better than 56..

and the only 2 extensions I use work fine
Lastpass and Ublock origin.

Adblock+ is kind of bloated up now..

Guy at work was complaining about his browser so I had him bring in his laptop.
he had about forty(40) extensions and themes etc.

I reset it to safe mode where it loads none.. and he was like what did you do its so much better..
33.gif

Also doesn't have massive memory leak now.

I then clean installed it and put his most needed 5 or 6 extensions back on.. with version 57.

Yesterday I updated it on an old Windows Vista computer I have in the basement. It seems to browse much, much faster than before, and the computer didn't blow up. I didn't tinker with add-ons or anything else but just browsing Ebay, Facebook, news sites, whatever... it was super quick compared to whatever Firefox version I had on there before. I have a Windows 10 computer in the office upstairs, I'm going to update that one tonight and see how it goes.

I had an old ebay search plug in that had quit working about 4 versions of FF before. It now is back and working.

It just updated here at home on Windows 10 and seems to work just as before but I don't do anything other than browse around. At work it's a different story but hasn't updated yet on my Mac or Windows 7 machines. One plugin I can't live with out is ShowIP, we have our customer's websites spread across three different IP addresses and I need to know which one they are on so I know which cPanel to go to with out searching all three. We also still host some old html sites and I use the Developer's tool bar, it has a feature that can show image paths right next to the image which is helpful when they are trying to update images, I really don't want to loose these and will stay with what ever version I have to keep them working.

At work I really need to have two browsers open all the time so I use Chrome over Safari. If you have ever worked with WordPress you know it has cache plugin issues so being able to check updates on a different browser is a time saver, once I see the update is working I can go into cPanel and remove the cache there.

Last edited:
Is Microsoft Edge good for anything. I also use Chrome and got the Update 1709 which comes with a better Edge so that is why I am asking. Does Edge still have the security holes that Internet Explorer did? I heard FF was also not as secure as Chrome so I discontinued using it for a few years now. Should I try it again with the new one?

The new Firefox is faster. I deleted 3-4 icons they put around the address bar. They made a few changes in the Options Service listed inside Tools. No biggie there either!

I'm okay with FF57, though I'm surprised there was a need to send it out before NoScript was ready. That and AdBlockPlus are all I need. I had to make sure my homepage and newtabs were blank and I'm good to go.

With Google Chrome around this news is ho hum. I want fort knox secure to the exclusion of all else. It's ok to be faster butnot at the cost of security meaning beyond reproach. FF had issues so not sold. I just downloaded the new Win 10 Service pack aka new OS version and it has this new and improved Edge with a Repair function and other little shortcuts etc. still on Chrome though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back