2013 Camry hood strut failure while the hood is up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schwaben hood prop:
632469_x800.jpg

Vim Tools hood prop:
vimv388.jpg

Originally Posted By: windeye
new struts are on the way, and will be in this weekend. Problem I have is that there can be no signs of failure that is what bothers me. If it fails before I lift the hood, I would know what's going on. I'd like to find a way to add a prop rod just for a failsafe measure... any ideas?

Was the car outside when this happened or in the garage? Just wondering if a burst of wind did it in. I'll be extra careful around the 2012 Camry. The 05 Matrix has a prop rod.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Schwaben hood prop:
632469_x800.jpg

Vim Tools hood prop:
vimv388.jpg

Love these.....super! where can we buy these?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
new struts are on the way, and will be in this weekend. Problem I have is that there can be no signs of failure that is what bothers me. If it fails before I lift the hood, I would know what's going on. I'd like to find a way to add a prop rod just for a failsafe measure... any ideas?

Was the car outside when this happened or in the garage? Just wondering if a burst of wind did it in. I'll be extra careful around the 2012 Camry. The 05 Matrix has a prop rod.

The car was inside garage. It's not windy that day, it was just cold, my garage is not heated, but it was at about 50-deg that day in garage (door closed with a space heater running). I can deal with gradual fail of the struts, usually happens on rear hatches. but this sudden failure is what got me thinking to have a fail-safe measure.

My job for tomorrow is to replace the hood struts on our '09 Kia Sedona. They were fine until failing suddenly a few days ago - the hood came down on my head a few days ago, but slowly enough (high in the cycle) that I was OK.

Bought "Rhino Pac lift supports" from NAPA as replacements - I was pleased to see that they're made in the US, by a company called AVM Industries, in SC.

I finally got to these today. Easy-peasy installation - no more than 5 minutes a side. They work really well! I plan to use a back-up (either a prop rod or vice grips on one of the struts) when working under the hood for a prolonged time anyway.

If you use vise grips for a backup, you might want to avoid putting teeth marks into the new struts. The teeth marks might effect smooth operation.

They lasted 4 yrs before they failed. I notice that they often failed in cold weather on the BMWs. So you mmay wanna carry a stick

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If you use vise grips for a backup, you might want to avoid putting teeth marks into the new struts. The teeth marks might effect smooth operation.
Agreed, I plan to use a shop rag around the shaft, or perhaps a piece of old bike-tire tube.

Problem I have is that there can be no signs of failure that is what bothers me.

First really cold day there? That and age are kind of a warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back