Using European Oils in NonEuropean Cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gebo
What is the reason I should not use European oils in my cars? Are there some?

There's no reason whatsoever unless you're really married to using the exact viscosity specified (i.e. if it's calling for a 5w-20, or, more likely with that vintage, a 5w-30 ILSAC). Even then, it's iffy. If it's just calling for an SJ or SL or newer 5w-30 (no ILSAC), what's wrong with a 5w-30 SL A3/B4? That meets the specification. Of course, I'm obviously not concerned in the least, using Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 in the G37.

All things held equal, an A3/B4 “euro oil” with the “big 4” manufacturer approvals will protect better than an ILSAC oil. Stronger film strength, more anti-wear additives, and far more stringent wear, sludge, and deposit specs. The downside is a minuscule amount of fuel economy given up.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
All things held equal, an A3/B4 “euro oil” with the “big 4” manufacturer approvals will protect better than an ILSAC oil. Stronger film strength, more anti-wear additives, and far more stringent wear, sludge, and deposit specs. The downside is a minuscule amount of fuel economy given up.

+1
and ....... higher TBN translating to longer duration OCI ......
or at similar OCI with healthier/cleaner condition drained oils, not that it matters.

If I could use a A3/B4-12; SL/CF or a C3-12; SN/CF for my cars which are all SJ or SL, which would you choose among those choices?

You can always use the Euro spec oil, good for 20,000 miles, and then change it every 3000 miles. That qualifies you for the BITOG OCD club.

If I could use a A3/B4-12; SL/CF or a C3-12; SN/CF for my cars which are all SJ or SL, which would you choose among those choices?

Well it depends on the OCI, that higher SAPS A3/B4 can handle a longer distance. But if you are burning oil then the C3 will be more gentle on the exhaust cat.

I'd go 5k.

OK both should easily do that.

I would buy on price or on extra OEM specs. For example to get MB 229.5 or MB 229.51 it needs to have its Noack volatility below 10 %. Recall SN is 15 % while A3/B4 & C3 & Dexos are all 13%..

I would normally go the high SAPS A3/B4 but if the C3 has VW 504 / 507 (a very hard to get OEM spec) while the A3/B4 was plain-Jane, then I would probably go the other way.

I'd go for the A3/B4 type lubricant, given they can usually be had in larger containers (and on special), versus the C3. For longer OCIs, as was already mentioned, the A3/B4 would be preferred, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back