WWII M1 30 cal carbine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gman2304
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOtQzEpmwGw

This video has a lot of interesting history on the M1 carbine...and I SO want one! My local gunsmith knows a guy who might have one for sale. I'm not interested in the reproduction Inland or Auto ordnance models. Has anyone here ever fired or owned an original M1 30 cal?

Yes, many of them! I was even lucky enough to find an original M1A1 paratrooper which is pretty neat. The M1 Carbine is one of my favorites to play with at the range. It's such an easy carbine to shoot, with very low recoil and great peep sights. My wife and 10 yr. old son really like the M1 Carbine platform because of the light weight and low recoil.

This thread needs some more photos...

Winchester

Underwood

Inland M1A1

Last edited:
My grandfather gave me a 1943 dated M1 Carbine made by Inland. Between the family connection and how fun it is to shoot, it’s one of my favorites. Seems to put a smile on anyone’s face that shoots it too.

Assuming that I’m using a good magazine, it’s very reliable. As others have mentioned, accuracy is acceptable and recoil is light. Remington ammo works the best in mine, and I couldn’t tell much difference between it and surplus ammo years ago. If any other make is used, reliability is ok but the rounds hit to the right a little.

You should definitely pick one up. They are getting harder to find, so take your time and jump on a good one when one comes up.

I found a fairly nice 1943 vintage Quality Hardware M1 carbine Saturday at a local gun show. The seller was wanting $950 and I offered him $800 but he said he had turned down $900 earlier, so I walked. I saw 5 or 6 M1’s at the show and believe their quite plentiful so I’m going to take my time.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I found a fairly nice 1943 vintage Quality Hardware M1 carbine Saturday at a local gun show. The seller was wanting $950 and I offered him $800 but he said he had turned down $900 earlier, so I walked. I saw 5 or 6 M1’s at the show and believe their quite plentiful so I’m going to take my time.

Spend an extra 600 and get an M1A and don't look back!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't understand why Springfield Armory doesn't produce a .30-06 M1 Garand? They would sell a ton of them. I think at one time they did, but stopped. Their investment cast actions are certainly strong enough. I know everyone raves about forged, but Ruger investment casts all their receivers, and you don't hear of any letting go. Unless it's a gross overload. Even the #1 single shot falling block action is investment cast. And it's considered to be one of the strongest actions out there.

I'm a 'babe in the woods' as far as being a novice who would like to have a nice WWII period M1. But with all the many variables, such as serial #'s, all the different manufacturers, manufacturing dates for the many suttle changes that were made etc, it sure gets confusing. The more I think about it the more I'm thinking I might should have grabbed the Quality Hardware M1 at the gun show Saturday as I have since found out it had the desirable round bolt and 'I' shaped oiler indention in the stock. I'm looking for a nice shooter, so I'm not obsessed with trying to find a perfect period correct M1 carbine. I've been told by the wife to start a 'M1 fund', do a lot more research and I'll probably find 'the one' in the next year or so, which is probably good advice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't understand why Springfield Armory doesn't produce a .30-06 M1 Garand? They would sell a ton of them. I think at one time they did, but stopped. Their investment cast actions are certainly strong enough. I know everyone raves about forged, but Ruger investment casts all their receivers, and you don't hear of any letting go. Unless it's a gross overload. Even the #1 single shot falling block action is investment cast. And it's considered to be one of the strongest actions out there.

Yes they did but they had some truly atrocious accuracy. They were not well regarded versus a rebuilt GI Garand. I personally would want one in 308. I have considered getting my old Frankengarand rebarreled to shoot the cheaper ammo when I get it reparked.

I have a very well worn import marked inland. It has one of the most worn out bores I have ever seen but still shoots pretty good! Very pleasant rifles to shoot.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I have found that the Achilles heal of the M1 Carbine is proper lubrication and magazines. They can be very finicky with magazines.

I had some magazines that didn't feed reliably. I disassembled and cleaned them up. They were filthy with cosmoline, and the spring was backward in a couple.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I have found that the Achilles heal of the M1 Carbine is proper lubrication and magazines. They can be very finicky with magazines.

I had some magazines that didn't feed reliably. I disassembled and cleaned them up. They were filthy with cosmoline, and the spring was backward in a couple.

For the 30 rounders you need to have the M2 mag catch installed. I you you don't and have the earlier mag catch installed, the 30 rounders will not function at all. My Plainfield has the early catch.

I have a WWII Standard products [?] made Carbine and it is nice but I prefer an AK or AR to call fun. Not shooting one isn't missing much . They are cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back