Do you change air filter by looks or miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By looks, mileage or time, whichever comes first per owner's manual. When I open the air box I also vacuum the inlet side.

I blow them out from inside with. High pressure air a few times a year till they start getting faded and discolored. They last about forever keeping them clean like that.

I go by miles. On modern vehicles that get driven regularly in normal city/hwy conditions, usually 30k miles.

My severe service (short trip/infrequent/harsh use) vehicles get the same mileage based replacement intervals but 10 or 15k miles.

The Harley and old hot rod truck are visual based replacements, because I can see the filter condition without removal.

Looks. I can see the dirty side without disturbing the gasket at all due to the convenient arrangement and orientation on both of our Subaru's. The filter for the Forester looked good at 50k miles, but I changed it anyway. The filter sits vertically in the housing, and the bottom pleats were darker/dirter, but overall the filter looked just fine cleanliness-wise and structurally. I won't change the filter next time until it looks to need it, hopefully after another 50k miles or more.

Originally Posted By: djb
Definitely not by miles.

No service recommendation knows how dusty your operating environment is. A hundred miles of following trucks on dusty roads is worse than 50K miles of suburban driving.
Exactly! Manufacturer's recommendations have to assume you're on dusty roads more than average. I'm not, so I'm safe going well beyond their mileage numbers. I changed the filter in the Mazda every 100K to 120K, and never could detect any difference in power or fuel economy after a filter change.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Remember filters become more efficient with use

Yeah, but nobody really wants to hear that.

I live in a somewhat less dusty environment. I look at it once a year to verify it is sealing and structurally intact. I have a plan to change it every 4-5 years due to age of the seals etc regardless of miles(kms).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex

So true! And so funny too.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: Linctex

So true! And so funny too.

LOL I will have a total matched set of Oil filter, Air filter and cabin filter 6 months efficiency tuned for maximum filtering to your door for twenty dollars free shipping. For a 2004 Toyota Corolla 1.8. Put your money were your mouth is gentlemen.

I go 6 years or when the restriction gets to 11". So far I have changed it out due to time not miles(got 90k miles on my S2000 filter).
My '13 Jeep has 60k miles on it and still low restriction(8") so maybe change it out somewhere around 80k miles. Will let you know when I do change it out.

ROD

ANNUALLY!
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back