Beets: how many uses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pandus13
So BITOGers,
How many ways of using the beets/ beets recipes you know?
me:
-beets grated
-beets(boiled and grated) + lemon juice + oil
-beets(boiled and grated) + garlic sauce
-beets(boiled and grated) + oil + grated horseradish (does wasabi count?)
-beets layer "cake": (layer1=potato salad, layer2=grated boiled beets + garlic sauce, layer3=farmers cheese + sourcream + dill/celery leaves)

PICKLED beets - mmmmm, my favorite!

Find Ukrainians in your area, then you'll learn what real borshch can be. And every mama and granny does it differently... with real sour cream, real rye bread and a lot of other real things. Lost art, except, perhaps, some parts of Canada outside of Ukraine.

I have a recipe that was passed down to me through several generations by my mom, originally from my great-grandmother from Russia. It's a cabbage soup that uses grated cabbage, beets, tomato puree, and meat or bones for the soup base. It's one of my favorite dishes. But, I also like pickled and roasted beets.

Tangentially, one of my favorite spirits is rhum agricole. It has its origins in the Caribbean when Homer Clement figured out how to make a new distilled spirit from sugarcane after Europe had switched to beet sugar. That put a lot of cane plantations in the Western hemisphere out of business. Look it up. Rhum agricole is not made from molasses like conventional rum. It's more like a "sugarcane brandy."

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I have a recipe that was passed down to me through several generations by my mom, originally from my great-grandmother from Russia. It's a cabbage soup that uses grated cabbage, beets, tomato puree, and meat or bones for the soup base. It's one of my favorite dishes. But, I also like pickled and roasted beets.

Tangentially, one of my favorite spirits is rhum agricole. It has its origins in the Caribbean when Homer Clement figured out how to make a new distilled spirit from sugarcane after Europe had switched to beet sugar. That put a lot of cane plantations in the Western hemisphere out of business. Look it up. Rhum agricole is not made from molasses like conventional rum. It's more like a "sugarcane brandy."

regular cabbage or red cabbage?

I presume you mean what we call beetroot. I doubt if there is a Kiwi home without a can of sliced beetroot in the pantry - just checked, we have two 450g cans. The taste of summer, always on the table to add to your salad. A hamburger always has beetroot, although the American chains don't do them, but a real takeaway place will serve the real deal. In summer I love to make sandwhiches - tomato, cucumber, beetroot and lettuce. I grow them every year and pickle my own, usually a couple of dozen, which is several jars...but only 6 plants this year. I also bake them.

Watties-Beetroot-Sliced-1-247x300.jpg

Originally Posted By: pandus13
DBMaster said:
I have a recipe that was passed down to me through several generations by my mom, originally from my great-grandmother from Russia. It's a cabbage soup that uses grated cabbage, beets, tomato puree, and meat or bones for the soup base. It's one of my favorite dishes.

Regular green cabbage, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't use red cabbage in place of, or in combination with it.

booze made from sugar cane is cane liquor, the moon shine of central America. One and only time I tried it , the bottle had a typed label and the stuff evaporated before it got past my tonsils
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
booze made from sugar cane is cane liquor, the moon shine of central America. One and only time I tried it , the bottle had a typed label and the stuff evaporated before it got past my tonsils
grin2.gif

In Brazil they call it cachaca. The stuff I like is generally from Martinique, Guadalupe, and Reunion. It's made in a Creole version of an armagnac still. My favorite version is the clear 50-55% (100-110 proof).

Originally Posted By: Silk
I presume you mean what we call beetroot. I doubt if there is a Kiwi home without a can of sliced beetroot in the pantry - just checked, we have two 450g cans. The taste of summer, always on the table to add to your salad. A hamburger always has beetroot, although the American chains don't do them, but a real takeaway place will serve the real deal. In summer I love to make sandwhiches - tomato, cucumber, beetroot and lettuce. I grow them every year and pickle my own, usually a couple of dozen, which is several jars...but only 6 plants this year. I also bake them.

Watties-Beetroot-Sliced-1-247x300.jpg

I remember the first place I went to in Oz (Perth/Fremantle) I ordered a burger, and it came with beetroot. I really didn't know what to think.

Last edited:
Beets are the one food I will not eat. Didn't care for them as a child and don't care for them now. My mom used to make them A LOT.

Don't think I've eaten one in over thirty years.

Beets are not my favorite. I like to take foods people don't like and remake them, such as split pea soup, a Brussel sprouts stir fry with bacon and onions.

Same with beets. I roast them, sometimes sliced thin in a frying with butter and Triple Sec.

I am one of the 15 % of people who cannot tolerate Beets.A few years ago I got a few jars of beets I ate 5-6 pieces the size of your little finger.About 45 minutes later I was severely nauseous,having chills and shakes.
Interestingly I can do a teaspoon of beet powder in juice every a.m. with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back