How much of your driving is commuting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
0% ( 16 miles each way) as train is faster and cheaper than parking costs alone.
Used to motorbike in, had free parking and quicker, but stupid car driver put an end to that.

I estimate about 22kmiles/year is commuting. Another 8k is not. That comes out to 73%. I suspect its not quite that though, I probably drive more than 8k in non-work stuff.

Not sure how I'd estimate wife's car, stay at home mom but still does 25k/year. Since most of that is doing kid stuff, I guess hers is 100% commuting for work?

Almost all my miles come from commuting since I moved to NJ (I live 6 miles from work). Laughably, I drive less than 5k miles a year now. And it's only that high because I just drove 1100 miles roundtrip to NC last week. This week I'm working from home, so after today no more miles are likely until next Monday.

Mike

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I stopped commuting in 1990. Just not worth it for $2/hr more.its not uncommon for commuters here to spend 6-8 hrs a day stuck in traffic. I live 6 miles from work.

That sounds really brutal. People really do this? This sounds as though it would be very hard on anyone's physical and mental health.
I cannot imagine an income high enough to spend all of my waking hours either at work or driving to or from it.
Me, I'd either do what you did or I'd relocate.

I work about 8 miles from my home, so I do about 16 miles a day, 5 days a week for my commute.

My wife works 9 miles in the opposite direction to my work; and as I work shift work, I can often drive her into work, and then go to work myself, or back home. So it varies wildly how much driving we do for just work commuting, but it isn't a huge distance either way.

Most of the 18-20k we put on our car in a year is pleasure driving - visiting family, going to friends, going to a park, or just cruising for the fun of it. Yes, we do 'Sunday drives' like people used to. I know, so wasteful in today's 'save the planet and have no fun' times.

:p

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I used to commute 90miles one way. It sucked

In the dark early days of the last recession, we had serious budgetary problems and many positions were eliminated.
I thought that I might have to face the choice of either taking a demotion or a long commute, which would have been around ninety miles.
Fortunately, that did not come to pass and I'm still where I was in 2008.
I knew those who did get stuck with the choice, though and they went either way.
Still, a ninety miles each way commute would seriously suck.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I used to commute 90miles one way. It sucked

In the dark early days of the last recession, we had serious budgetary problems and many positions were eliminated.
I thought that I might have to face the choice of either taking a demotion or a long commute, which would have been around ninety miles.
Fortunately, that did not come to pass and I'm still where I was in 2008.
I knew those who did get stuck with the choice, though and they went either way.
Still, a ninety miles each way commute would seriously suck.

Yep, but some would have no choice but to do it.

Used to be 100 miles round trip for me. After we had a house it is 20 miles for me and 80 miles for wife. Recently wife found a job close to home so it is 16 miles for me and 4 miles for wife.

Right after I stock up on oil filters. They'll last 40 years the way we drive now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back