Do you run cheap, mid grade or premium filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stay away from Purolator because I had two of them tear. Lately my oil burning car leaves soot/carbon in the pleats of the oil filter so I change it often [for me] at around 7,000 miles. In the past I would use a premium filter and go 12,000 miles or more.

I have dozens of Bosch Distance Plus+ that were all $3 or less at walmart, and I still run them 2x-3x OCI's.

I'll run mid grade / premium on mine with the occasional supertech thrown in.

On temporary vehicles (the wrangler I had) or leased vehicles, they get the cheapest OCOD there is! Or supertech if it's cheaper.

In the 1980's and early 90's when Kmart chronically had their rebadged Purolators on sale for $1 apiece, I normally ran them three oil changes of about 6K each. I never found a tear or other major defect in the ones I cut apart, and the engine eventually ran beyond 600K with no problems that could be blamed on oil or filters. How exactly would I have benefited from more expensive filters or more frequent changes?

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Some here would say I use an "inefficient" oil filter because I use Denso products. They have worked for me for many years and don't ruminate on filter efficiency, micron rating,number of pleats, et.al.

I use the flow over efficiency Subaru blue cans of delight or a WIX 57712 on the 06 and the 04 XT before it fought with a deer. For the beater I have a stash of Tialand Densos, Frams, Mobile 1, and others all bought on sale... its a beater with bad piston slap, so as long as it has oil and a filter the type doesn't matter.

I usually use Wix now, so midgrade

Sometimes I use Fram Ultra or Wix XP, if the price is good, or M1 when there's a M1 oil+filter sale.

For cartridge filter applications usually Mann, Mahle, Hengst, or Purflux.

I run tons of RA closeouts on the commuter cars in my home fleet. I tend to use a premium type filter in the pickup just for no reason. I still cut and inspect every filter I remove just to see how they held up. Zero problems so far and I'm sure I have saved some cash over the years.

Been using nothing but Fram Ultras or OEM since the "Tearolator" era began. I removed four of my Purolators and three of them were torn. One of them was less than a month old. Switched to the Ultras for its quality of construction, and OEM's for the cars still under warranty. The $3-$4 price difference between them and a lower-end filter for something that will sit on the engine for 4-5 months, for me doesnt even factor.

I do 5000-mile changes on all of my vehicles so I'm sure I could use cheaper filters, or let the Ultras stay on for 2-3 changes, but my oil change OCD would drive me bonkers. That $3-$4 price difference is worth keeping that part of my brain quiet until the next change! (Luckily OCD does not affect any other aspect of my life other than car maintenance.....)

So, yup, nothing but Ultras or OEM.

I have run several RockAuto close out filters from jobber filters to middle grade WIX. I cut them open for inspection at the end of the OCI/FCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back