How old of oil are you comfortable using

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mostly use stuff from the Mesozoic and Paleozoic Eras, but I would use older if I had some.

I used about 60 quarts of John Deere 5w30 that I purchased for $1/quart from a local business in Michigan. It was still in cardboard and metal cans, I'll have to dig up one of the cans that I saved to see the specs it met to guess an age. I'd guess early 1980s. I used it all up between 2008-2010.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Unlike most others on this forum, I believe what the oil companies say.

Then you'd presumably have to believe the recomendations in Table 4 of the survey of industry recommendations in this article ( Yes, here it is again)

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/172/lubricant-storage-life

This is challenging, because they contradict each other to the limits of what is mathematically possible, and about half of them are completely implausible.

I suppose its more a question of faith.

Backup_200005_storage_life_tab4.gif

Last edited:
The oil in my RX8 Mazda is 6.5 years and 6500 miles old.

I guess I'll break down, and change it in the spring at 7 years.

It's got Mobil 1 0w40 in it, and I'll test it too make a point that time is mostly irrelevant as long as no known coolant loss or other contamination.

I've read others having long term changes with very little use of vehicle, and those tests were fine.

I used to sell lots of industrial oils, and maybe the additives in motor oil could settle somewhat, but if you keep it shaken or driven occasionally, not a problem.

So I guess I'm independent Oil company A.

I was *just* about to post a similar thread....

I just got 6 litres [quarts] of 11 year old Amszoil XL 5w20. API-SM
and was getting a little skeptical if it was still a viable oil, would it be ok to use on a 100% OCI or blend with newer stock.
I did reach out to Amzoil for their thoughts.. they just stated that past 5 years .. would be undetermined... and to disregard..
im not convinced..

Monitoring on the opinions of esteemed BITOG membership
J.

Last edited:
Its in my basement in bottles. Probably 60 degrees in winter and 70 in summer..id use it til its 10 years old if it lasts that long.

Not worried about age, just if it meets spec for the vehicle it is going into.

I used some oil in 2016 that was bottled in 2009 in my 2012 Scion. It requires SN oil, the oil met SN spec, so it went in.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
As long as it meets the required spec, there is no time limit for me.

It is generally a good practice to shake the bottles before dumping it into the sump.

This

If you are using a old oil,shake well and maybe strain it like painters do with house paint. I would toss in a qt of up to date oil maybe a synblend if conventional just for some room for error.

I like to keep between 1 and 2 years worth of oil changes in my 'stash'. I start shopping when down to 1 year's worth left. Mind you I maintain 3 cars.
Wife's car gets 3 OCs a year, mine and daughter's - one a year each.

i have used quaker state deluxe in my s10 the oil came from a metal can and it looked good and the truck is still running to this day just fine.
as long as it sealed and contains detergent i will use it otherwise it will go into my oil can for drill bit lube.

At our speed shop we still have about 100 cases of mobil 1 15w-50 left over from a long ago sponsership the cases are all dated 1989,I belive SF,or SG api. we have no problem using this oil in any engine made between 1950-2018 with perfect results.

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
At our speed shop we still have about 100 cases of mobil 1 15w-50 left over from a long ago sponsership the cases are all dated 1989,I belive SF,or SG api. we have no problem using this oil in any engine made between 1950-2018 with perfect results.

MMMM, that is some good motorcycle oil there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back