BMW 4.4 and 4.8 liter V8 engines of 2010+ vintage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the process of deciding on my next car. Some of the cars I have looked at are BMW-s with 4.4 and 4.8 liter V8 engines (X5 and 7 series). I am very familiar with the 3 liter inline 6 engines and their issues but need to know the real life experiences of fellow BITOG-ers about the V8 engines. The ones I'm looking at are 2010+ used vehicles with 70-80k miles on them.

I would stay away from any German car, post warranty. Especially high end v8 models with high end options. Usually it's the other stuff besides the engine that goes wrong.
Unless you have a big pile of money, and don't mind it becoming a small pile of money.

Originally Posted By: Danno
I would stay away from any German car, post warranty. Especially high end v8 models with high end options. Usually it's the other stuff besides the engine that goes wrong.
Unless you have a big pile of money, and don't mind it becoming a small pile of money.

I agree 10000%

Buy an Accord or Camry for the same money.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
I'm in the process of deciding on my next car. Some of the cars I have looked at are BMW-s with 4.4 and 4.8 liter V8 engines (X5 and 7 series). I am very familiar with the 3 liter inline 6 engines and their issues but need to know the real life experiences of fellow BITOG-ers about the V8 engines. The ones I'm looking at are 2010+ used vehicles with 70-80k miles on them.

This did not happen to me so please take it with a grain of salt. Also these may not be the exact same engine as the X5 or 7 Series.

My manager at work has a E90 M3 with a V8. He once had to replace the throttle actuator. Since it's a V there is one actuator on each bank. Then there are a few O2 sensors here and there. The engine also burns a bit of oil between OCI so he has to top it up, how often I have no idea.

A friend of mine also has the same car, he actually went to the States, bought the car and towed it back to Canada. Anyway, he just replaced the rob bearing.

Like most things mechanical, none of them is maintenance free. If the body is rust free and at the right price, why not? Take care of it, it will keep you smile.

Life's too short to suffer in an Accord or a Camry.

The car will be either BMW, Mercedes, Audi or a Range Rover.

What, no Saab Turbo
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

LOL!

I'm waiting for the obligatory Crown Vic recommendation next.

cheers3.gif

Agreed.

BMW tended to use ITB's on the ///M engines but I don't think you'd be up against that on these. I know with the M62, there were issues with timing chain guide life, which was a really expensive fix, so that's something to watch out for.

I've had BMW's off and on for years. They can be a bit more finicky than average. So I'd suggest either owning them under warranty, or having the skill to fix whatever might go wrong, or accepting that you will be paying someone who has the skill to do so. No, they aren't as trouble-free as some maintained Camry, but they offer a driving experience that no Camry ever will.

Mercedes and Audi are about the same as BMW, issues wise. Range Rover is worse.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

LOL!

A Crown Vic isn't fancy enough for Alfred, he needs a Mercury Grand Marquis!
crackmeup2.gif

What a bunch of goons.

On a 2010+ BMW V8, you need to be aware of: smoke on startup, timing chain noise, and secondly air codes.

Have a proper pre-purchase inspection performed by a BMW Service Center or reputable independent shop. Be up front! Tell them you need a PPI and you want them to be brutally honest.

Ensure that the N63 Customer Care Package has been performed or can be performed after purchase. A BMW Center can read the key to check.

Skip any Range or X5 with air suspension.

You have fun with your choices, regardless of outcome.
Report back so we can all learn from your experiences, both good and bad. Shared knowledge is important.

Yeah, currently I have a BMW Z4 and an Audi A6. The A6 is nearing its end of life at 210k miles so I'm preparing for when I need to get a replacement quickly.

The A6 is nearing its end of life at 210k miles so I'm preparing for when I need to get a replacement quickly.

A CPO S6.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

LOL!

Yes, in 3,2,1...

Yeah, currently I have a BMW Z4 and an Audi A6. The A6 is nearing its end of life at 210k miles so I'm preparing for when I need to get a replacement quickly.

I've owned 11 BMWs: two fours, 1 electric, and the rest have been six cylinders. V8s mainly have problems with timing chains, oil, and coolant leaks- some years and displacements are worse than others. A good PPI by a knowledgeable BMW tech is mandatory. I' go with a six.

And yes, I realize I could have saved a little money driving anodyne appliances- but I probably would have died of boredom long ago.

I have personal experience, 2008 BMW 650i, 90K miles, and had the following problem: leaks, failed alternator, failed crankcase ventilator valves, and valve seal replacements. Total cost 7-8K at the BMW dealer. I would never buy an older BMW, but this car was my daughter's and she practically gave it to me. I do love the car, it now runs great and uses no oil. Also, great looking car. Buy only if you are willing to spend the money to keep it up. Also, even if you have mechanic skills, working on the car yourself is a pain.

JR

Originally Posted By: jrcowboys
I have personal experience, 2008 BMW 650i, 90K miles, and had the following problem: leaks, failed alternator, failed crankcase ventilator valves, and valve seal replacements. Total cost 7-8K at the BMW dealer. I would never buy an older BMW, but this car was my daughter's and she practically gave it to me. I do love the car, it now runs great and uses no oil. Also, great looking car. Buy only if you are willing to spend the money to keep it up. Also, even if you have mechanic skills, working on the car yourself is a pain.

JR

Well, that's an N62. 2010+ V8s are the N63, which has a different set of problems, all of which are taken care of by the N63 CCP. The CCP includes (amongst many, many other things) a reset of the OLM to 1yr/10k instead of the original variable service monitor which could go as high as 20k miles. These very very extended drains are the cause of most N63 issues.

The exception to the "all 2010+ BMW V8s are an N63" rule is the 2010 X5 4.8si, which has the NA 4.8 V8. On these you have to watch the valve seals and timing guides. The X5 4.8si also had read air suspension, so I would forego it completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back