Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 Dexos 1 Gen 2 is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PP 5W30 is right at the thin end of the 30 grade with KV100 = 9.8 cSt (the cut off is 9.3 cSt).

But not only is it Dexos1-Gen2, it is also one of the few Euro ACEA A5/B5 oils. To be A5/B5 it needs to pass a shear stability stay-in-grade (KO 30) test. To be this close to the bottom of the 30 grade range, yet still pass a shear stability test means the oil must be very well formulated IMO.

It looks like a great oil, for both 5W30 and 5W20 applications, and all but the very coldest 0W20 applications.

Last edited:
The Pennzoil Gold 5W30 actually got thicker for Gen 2 as shown in wemay's earlier thread.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4549199/1

That Gen 2 PG also has lower CCS and MRV viscosities and a much higher flashpoint compared to the earlier version, it's actually hard for me to believe it's a blend.

M1 5W30 AP doesn't have an earlier version for comparison as it came to the market with a Gen 2 license #, but it is also a pretty thick 5W30 at 11.7 cSt @ 100C (HTHS is only 3.0, though).

As a GDI engine owner - what you shared is exactly the type of information I was looking for in choosing a new Gen2 oil for my '17 Sonata !
Originally Posted By: SR5
The PP 5W30 is right at the thin end of the 30 grade with KV100 = 9.8 cSt (the cut off is 9.3 cSt).

But not only is it Dexos1-Gen2, it is also one of the few Euro ACEA A5/B5 oils. To be A5/B5 it needs to pass a shear stability stay-in-grade (KO 30) test. To be this close to the bottom of the 30 grade range, yet still pass a shear stability test means the oil must be very well formulated IMO.

It looks like a great oil, for both 5W30 and 5W20 applications, and all but the very coldest 0W20 applications.

Originally Posted By: SR5

Just stumbled upon this, but apparently the Dexos 1 gen2 Valvoline full syn Max Life 5w30 also meets A5/B5, and also is about the same viscosity as the old PP
yaQeqNx.png

Was able to get one bottle of PP 0W-20 dexos1 Gen2 at Walmart today.

Gen2 seems to still be quite scarce. I saw a pretty limited selection from M1, Castrol, Valvoline and Pennzoil at this busy WM.

Last edited:
There's a pretty good spread of D1G2 at the Walmart here. Valvoline Syn Power and High Mileage, PP, M1, RP, Magnatec, Gold Blend, Super Tech, QSUD. It looks like they have to clear out stock in the distribution network.

Last edited:
I believe the new PP DEXOS 1 Gen 2 5W39 was formulated closer to a 5W20 to reduce the need for as many VI's as well as for lower NOACK ... Not sure how well 0W30 / 0W40 oils will do in the same DEXOX 1 Gen 2 tests due to the need to use more VI's and a resulting higher NOACK ?

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I worry about Gen2 if I buy a new GM vehicle, since it is specifically for 2018 MY and newer.

What's your concerns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back