How often do you check your oil level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my car is 19 years old, is 1.100 cc and i drive it about 1.500km per month, i think that is reasonable to check it before every first day's drive.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The rogue doesn't burn oil so maybe every 3 weeks. I do it at work COLD after work in the PM. Just popo the hood pull the stick ALMOST out and check.

If you think about it, checking oi level
is probably the WORSE thing you can do to a car that is historically known to NOT burn oil.

Very easy to introduce a few gains of sand into the dip tube just pulling the stick a few MM up.

Must be a syndrome.

Dead wrong.. the worst thing you could do to a car not burning oil is obviously Race it from stop sign to stop sign while cold.. this is evidenced by the fact that you keep blowing up engines.

None of my cars use oil, but I check the level several times right after an oil change. Do it mostly to see if the filter or drain plug is leaking and dropping the oil level. After a week or two of ok checks, once every thousand miles or so. 3.5 Ecoboost engines really hide the filter is why.

Depends on how much the engine usually burns. Maybe once a week if it burns a little or monthly on a non burner.

Running low or out of oil is obviously a serious problem. I find an engine doesn't suddenly start burning a lot of oil but I have seen them suddenly leak large amounts, so I try to look under the car when it's easy, like walking towards the car from a distance in a shopping mall. If I see oil on the ground I check it right then and there.

Last edited:
Once a week on my company truck because I put on alot of miles and idling although it really doesn't use any oil between changes at almost 241,000 miles.
Once a month on my personal vehicles because they sit alot and never use any oil either.

Just after changing oil.
Before and after any long trip; each day of a multi-day trip.
Whenever I'm in the mood, which is typically at least once per week.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
If you think about it, checking oi level
is probably the WORSE thing you can do to a car that is historically known to NOT burn oil.

Very easy to introduce a few gains of sand into the dip tube just pulling the stick a few MM up.

Must be a syndrome.

lol what?
Does sound odd yes?

First why would you check oil level OFTEN on a car that has been proved NOT to burn oil?
I didn't mean once in a while (monthly?) but, say, weekly.

IDK about your vehicles, but our cars have tons of dirt at the DS diptube seal, and if you don't clean it off WELL that stuff is likely going on the DS and in the dip tube.

Same with people in a non-dusty climate over checking their air filters, i.e; every 6 months.
Abrasive dirt is #1 enemy of an engine.

I guess.

Or ... ME borrowing your car
smile.gif

Last edited:
I driven plenty of old cars that would burn some oil, some as much as a quart in a few hours drive. Even with those old time motors, no impact on the motor from running with as much as a quart down for many, many thousands of miles in this fashion. When the idiot light goes on signifying a quart low, more oil was added and I would carry on.

I suspect my membership on this board will be revoked for expressing such a blasphemous view, so if this is the end, so long everyone.

Last edited:
Usually 1x month and before/after long trips (+/- 1 hr drive).

G coupe, weekly when driven. VQ problems.

About every 3 weeks to a month in my 02 Ranger.

Don't really check it in my 94. It has a low oil warning that comes on when it's in the bottom 3rd of the safe range on the dipstick.

The BMW has an electronic dipstick so I check the level on the dash often, even though it only uses one quart per 10,000 km. My other cars are about the same, so I don't check the dipstick at all, I simply measure how much oil comes out at oil change time to determine the rate of consumption, and top up accordingly on the next interval.

Don't really check oil level during the 5 to 10k OCI for 12-23 yo engines ......
I do check blotters periodically in scheduling/planning of oil change though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back