My Dilemma 7.5k OCI or 10K OCI...help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to reinvent the wheel or relitigate the past arguments on interval and oil/filter selections but I have a dilemma. I use my 2017 Nissan Murano for work. I drive 45k miles/yr...way too much to stick to Nissan's recommended 5000 mile OCI which at that rate, I will be changing the oil every 5 weeks. And that is way to frequent given my hectic schedule. I'd like to go to 10k OCI.

I am comfortable with 7,500 OCI intervals based on my prior Nissan V6 ownership(Nissan's previous recommendations) and comfortable with my oil and filter selection. Although I find it interesting that Nissan just decreased the intervals to 5k when almost all other Manufacturers are increasing it.

Here are the factors...17,547miles using Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 on a Fram Ultra filter w/ a 5.1qt oil sump. 30% city stop & go in Atlanta. I don't beat on her...and give a 1-2 minutes in cold weather start-up.

Here are the considerations:
My last '09 Nissan Maxima recommended 7.5k. Would 10,000 miles on the Murano be safe on Mobil EP? (I know Mobil EP is rated at 15k, but I also know Nissan won't stand behind 10k if something were to happen.

Most other OEMs recommending 10-15k OCI have 6-8qt capacity. Isn't the Murano's small 5.1qt capacity a limiting factor of the long OCI?

Would you guys stick to 7.5k or extend it to 10k?

-------------------------------------------
'17 Nissan Murano (Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 & Fram Ultra Synthetic Filter)
'17 Acura MDX SH-AWD

I would be comfortable extending a little at a time (1K) and using a testing lab to see if the oil is holding up under the conditions I am subjecting it to.

What does Nissan say? Exactly 5K no matter what? Do you want to void your power train warranty?

Last edited by a moderator:
"drive for work"... does that mean you get mileage reimbursed at like 50 cents a mile?

Is it the cost of oil changes or the time you don't want to spend on them? I'd follow Nissan's recommendation of 5000 miles. It's part of your job to take care of your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
I would be comfortable extending a little at a time (1K) and using a testing lab to see if the oil is holding up under the conditions I am subjecting it to.

This is a good suggestion. The 17 Murano is the VQ35DE engine and there should be several UOAs out there for him to get some idea on whether his plan is a good one or not.

Warranty issues aside, I don't see a problem going 10k OCI. Should be a breeze considering 70% of his miles are highway miles.

Use a high quality oil and verify your oil change program with oil analysis. If you analyze the oil every 10,000 miles at each oil change and it always comes back good your warranty should remain intact since you have proof your extended oil changes are doing no harm.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Use a high quality oil and verify your oil change program with oil analysis. If you analyze the oil every 10,000 miles at each oil change and it always comes back good your warranty should remain intact since you have proof your extended oil changes are doing no harm.

Is there proof that Nissan would accept Blackstone Lab results as proof? Just curious.

Given your driving conditions I'd stick with Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 along with a Fram Ultra filter, 10k mile OCI. Mobil 1 EP warranty will supplant your factory engine warranty for oil related failures.

The Mobil 1 Extended Performance limited warranty is valid for 15,000 miles or your vehicle’s OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer. Mobil 1 EP Warranty

Also, no need to "warm up" the engine for 1-2 minutes on cold weather starts.

Originally Posted By: TheIceStormof06
Would you guys stick to 7.5k or extend it to 10k?

-------------------------------------------
'17 Nissan Murano (Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 & Fram Ultra Synthetic Filter)
'17 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Your car and a UOA are the only ones that can truthfully tell you.

just go whole hog and do a 10k oci and do an uoa.

with the amount he drives the powertrain warranty will be gone in 9months.

Last edited:
With 45K/yr you'll be out of the warranty at no time anyways so factory recommended OCI should not be an issue. You can install bypass filter system and enjoy EXTENDED drain intervals. or just go with amsoil if you trust their 25K claim

Originally Posted By: NothingNew
Given your driving conditions I'd stick with Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 along with a Fram Ultra filter, 10k mile OCI. Mobil 1 EP warranty will supplant your factory engine warranty for oil related failures.

The Mobil 1 Extended Performance limited warranty is valid for 15,000 miles or your vehicle’s OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer. Mobil 1 EP Warranty

Also, no need to "warm up" the engine for 1-2 minutes on cold weather starts.

Did you even bother reading the link you posted? Especially the second paragraph where they say to follow your manufacturers recommendations if still under warranty?

Last edited:
Me ?
M1 5W30 EP at 10,000 miles. Or if warm enough (above 0F or -20C) then M1 10W30 EP.

If you are going to break warranty OCI then I would step it up a grade to give yourself a buffer against viscosity loss through shear and use a 30 grade oil. The EP has good TBN retention to fight acid build up, and 10K miles should be fine.

Two more points:
First, Nice Car...wish I had one for my family.

Second, And Welcome !!!!

Originally Posted By: Lasthope05

Did you even bother reading the link you posted? Especially the second paragraph where they say to follow your manufacturers recommendations if still under warranty?

It mentions a disuption in your vehicle warranty. Be advised that if your vehicle is covered by a warranty, you should follow the vehicle’s oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner’s manual to avoid a disruption in your vehicle warranty. It doesn't mention Mobil 1 won't cover it
banana2.gif

OP already stated 5k mile OCI is too frequent for the amount of driving he does...

I’d stick with what is recommended by the manufacturers, especially while under warranty.

Oil changes take 15-20mins. I’ve done oil changes in the driveway at 3am before, because that was only time I had available to do it.

I was in the same position with my Toyota Avalon. I drove 30K a year, almost all highway. While under warranty I was at the dealer every 5K for an oil change. The service writer used to laugh when I pulled up every 2 month. When the power train warranty expired I went to 10K with no hesitation.
To be honest, with my 95% highway driving, usually on cruise control listening to podcasts, a good synthetic and good oil filter I think I could have gone 15k. Even at 10K I was changing the oil 3 times a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back