California Proposition 65 Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
So I got my new refrigerator delivered yesterday, and decided to also put a new ice maker water line on at the same time. Bought an Eastman brand at Lowe's where I got the fridge. Upon looking closely at the package, it has the "California Proposition 65 Warning" statement (see photos). I called the company (www.ez-flo.net, seem to make hundreds of products) and their product manager said they have to legally put that warning statement on any product that has any chemicals know to the state of CA to cause cancer. He also said their products are thoroughly tested and pass all the safety codes required, and passes the low level lead test required by CA, etc.

So is the CA Prop 65 warning statement because it not 100% lead free, even though it still passes the low level lead requirements? Looking at similar flexible water lines on Amazon, seems anything made out of PVC would require the CA Prop 65 warning statement.

Anyone run in to this or have more info on this?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Basically they put it on anything that might in some way cause cancer. Its a blanket warning to keep from getting sued here.

This company is headquartered in CA, so if a company is outside CA do they still need to put a warning on products per the CA Prop 65 rules? Of is is just CA based companies that are required by CA law?

More info on California Prop 65.
https://oehha.ca.gov/media/downloads/proposition-65/general-info/p65plain.pdf

As a chemist that worked a lot with PVC, I can tell you that PVC requires the use of heat stabilizers to prevent rapid dehydrohalogenation (loss of HCl ) on heating for processing. The old stabilizers were lead and cadmium based and in China, they still do use lead stabilizers although I am sure Eastman does not do this in their Chinese plant. Today, modern stabilizers for PVC are based on barium and other non-toxic materials here in the US and Europe. However, you need to be careful buying scrap PVC in China for use here in the states as it may contain high quantities of lead.

It is always hard to say what causes the Proposition 65 listing in California. It is on almost everything so that it almost seems a joke at times.

If I am not mistaken when you drive into California from any state above the "WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA" part it has this Prop Warning because of all the Cancer causing [censored] in the air here in California. haha.

I like how they have labels like this, but why not just ban any products that are known to cause cancer to begin with? Oh yeah that would cost the manufacturers money to have the 3 yr olds in China building their parts to use higher grade materials. We cant have that now can we?

Its crazy how here in the States, there are so many things that are like this, but in other countries they just flat out Ban stuff. Whats the Point? Does some desk Jockey in Sacramento feel special now because he got a Decal put on a Refer Hose? Really??

Crazy Stuff. Its really anyone's guess...Nothing makes sense in this State.

Jeff

Last edited:
Found this info about products not labeled with the Prop 65 warning, even though they would have to be labeled in CA.

Unlabeled products

Products that are sold outside of California are not required to have the warning label even if they contain substances that might cause cancer. Some companies that sell products all over the US only label those sent to California, even though all their products contain the same compounds.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-cau...osition-65.html

Kalifornia is so special. Everything causes cancer according to Prop 65. Kalifornia is the only state with their own blends of gasoline. Kalifornia puts restrictions on the sale of certain motor oils like Valvoline’s VR1. Just like Coors beer way back when, if you want VR1, you will have to smuggle it in.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Everything causes cancer according to Prop 65.

It's completely amazing humans have lasted so long............................
grin.gif

That sign is everywhere in CA, so much so that it is absolutely devoid of meaning. The first time I noticed it was on a sign going into one of the airport rental car companies. Apparently the building itself was carcinogenic
37.gif

One would think everyone living in California would be perfectly healthy and vibrant because of all the regulations and consumer protections they put in place....

According to this article, any product that meets NSF-61 and NSF/ANSI 372 should be meeting the latest low lead requirements for drinking water system parts/components.

https://www.nsf.org/newsroom_pdf/nsf61-372_lead_insert_LWD-1350-0513.pdf

"Product complies with NSF/ANSI 61 Annex G, NSF/ANSI 372 and conforms with lead content
requirements for “lead-free” plumbing as defined by California, Vermont, Maryland, and
Louisiana state laws and the U.S. Safe Drinking Water Act due to take effect January 2014."

The Eastman hose package shows these certifications (photo in my first post), so I'm thinking it's "as good as it gets" in terms of a safe product for a PVC water line for a refrigerator.

Putting the "California Prop 65 Warning" statement on the package just confuses everything.

With Christmas coming up, the fake trees from China carry the P65 tag as well as Christmas lights and some ornaments.

Are you guys complaining that the manufacturer is required to warn consumers about carcinogens in their products?

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Are you guys complaining that the manufacturer is required to warn consumers about carcinogens in their products?

The Prop 65 warning is kind of a joke here in California because it gets labeled on literally everything. It is so overdone that people tend to ignore it now.

Everything can kill you. Too much water, even.

Many things in life I ignore. This is but one of them.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

Im not. I am complaining to the fact that people who make the decision to HAVE TO have these tags in place.

There are so many things the State could spend money on instead of this [censored]. This should be managed by the feds. Not the State. So its ok to have this or that in one state than anther? makes no sense.

California has so many problems. Illegal Immigration, Gangs, Unemployment, School System Sucks, Housing, I mean we can go on and on.

California has to be one of the most Micro Managed States in the Union. I think this State is Awesome in so many ways. Its home to me, but there is a reason that over 70% of homes being sold here, the people are selling to MOVE OUT. Makes you wonder why?? Or do we even need to "wonder".

Love This State, we just need to focus on other issues right now. Let the Feds take care of warning Labels.

Jeff

Since when have the Feds been able to do anything on their own? All the progress usually comes out of California -- they start something, a few progressive states join in, it becomes Fed regulation, the regressive states begrudgingly join in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back