Testosterone Therapy for Older Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: loneryder
If anyone in your family has ever had prostate cancer, or if you are just concerned about prostate cancer.....Don't do it!
Testosterone feeds prostate cancer. If you are harboring any of those cancer cells, they will go crazy in the presence of Testosterone.

Got any links that corroborate that? Did a search and can't find a single article or study that links testosterone and cancer. One study here: https://academic.oup.com/jnci/article/88/16/1118/886395 talks about "High levels of circulating testosterone and low levels of SHBG—both within normal endogenous ranges—are associated with increased risks of prostate cancer. Low levels of circulating estradiol may represent an additional risk factor. Circulating levels of DHT and AAG do not appear to be strongly related to prostate cancer risk." whatever that is.

You can call the oncologist at Juravinski Hospital in Hamilton, ON - Dr. Schagen

My Source!
wink.gif

http://www.hamiltonhealthsciences.ca/body.cfm?ID=229

Last edited:
Testosterone replacement increases the risk of prostate problems/cancer and heart attacks and other side effects. “Low T” ”would have to be causing me some real problems before I started testosterone therapy.

All this common knowledge about testosterone boosting cancer problems is not science. I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and after the initial surgery and turning down chemotherapy one of the things I did besides getting after my nutrition was to boost the heck out of my testosterone. I did this with a doctor's help after doing a lot of research on the subject. This became a very important part of my recovery. Everything for me improved at levels well over 800 to 1200.

PSA numbers were always between 1.4 and 1.8. I could not find enough documentation that proved that the relationship between PSA numbers and prostate cancer were reliable. The test appears to be an administrative justification for additional treatment that is approved by insurance based on an established threshold. A lot of healthcare is hard numbers backed by one size fits all rulebooks that make promises presented as facts.

One of the most dangerous things you can do is to blindly submit to healthcare for chronic or systemic health problems and taking drugs for symptoms without vigorously chasing down the original cause of the problem and getting off the drugs.

Cancer death rates have not significantly changed in 100 years or more. The numbers for the reduction in death rates for early detection only show improvements for those in the business of early detection and treatment. Their false positives are not accounted for and really skew the numbers. A false positive is a real problem. Sometimes when someone is wrongly diagnosed with cancer the treatment has a higher mortality rate than the cancer. This specific problem is only now getting the attention it deserves and is actually saving lives. It's just not documented very well. If you have prostate cancer this treatment vs no treatment is a subject that should interest you.

This all comes down to the idea that you are the captain of your own ship and good health is your job. Follow common knowledge and embrace the modern diet or go your own way. You must be the expert because you're the one in charge.

Not a old guy, 37, but I'm taking T-shots now. Androgel wasn't cutting it. Waiting to get the numbers back from the T-shot. Sluggish as long as I can remember. If it isn't acceptable with the shot the doc is going to do alot of test. Good health, pretty good shape and no sleep problems. Could be genetic as my grandpa was always tired also, my dad's numbers is fine though. Hormones are tricky..

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Not a old guy, 37, but I'm taking T-shots now. Androgel wasn't cutting it. Waiting to get the numbers back from the T-shot. Sluggish as long as I can remember. If it isn't acceptable with the shot the doc is going to do alot of test. Good health, pretty good shape and no sleep problems. Could be genetic as my grandpa was always tired also, my dad's numbers is fine though. Hormones are tricky..

Drop down and do 25 push ups when you start to feel tired. You can do these pretty much anywhere. I don't like doing them that much but always feel invigorated afterwards. Gets the cobwebs out. If that's not your thing, do a 40 yard dash. Sitting can make you tired. Just a small bit of movement when tired can change this.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Testosterone feeds certain kinds of cancer not all of them. My dad has the kind that is fed by it and is on hormone blockers to keep it at bay until it finally gets him. (Currently in his bones/spine now). His PSA was normal.

My uncle, his brother has the kind that isn't fed by the hormone so they are treating his other ways. His PSA was high.

All the males on my dads side including his father have it or died from it. (My brother and I are high risk so we get checked every couple of years and it will be yearly once we hit 40).
frown.gif

If I were you I would do it yearly. It's not so much the PSA number, it's the trend. You want to establish a baseline and sooner than later IMO.

Originally Posted By: Fsharp
Testosterone replacement increases the risk of prostate problems/cancer and heart attacks and other side effects. “Low T” ”would have to be causing me some real problems before I started testosterone therapy.

+1 The word "replacement" is key.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
At age 33 I was fat (260pounds, 6'4''), and had very low testosterone caused by sleep apnea.

Lost 60 pounds, and got on a cpap mask, also take androgel.

T number went from under 200 to a little over 550 with a small dose.

Feel much better. Even though I lost 60 pounds I did not cure the sleep apnea, so I need to stick with the stupid cpap.

I lift weights a few days a week and can lift 180 pounds on the bench which I feel is pretty good.

That's Great!!

Extra body fat decreases testosterone, but actually boosts estrogen...its a terrible cycle that needs to be broken first. Get healthy, stop eating garbage food (soda-pop, chip, chocolate, candy...all must go) Stick to foods that are hearty & protein rich, lots of veggies as close to nature as possible, cut processed foods. Cut the alcohol out, quite smoking a given. You can't expect your body to perform if you are feeding it garbage. It will take time to purge the system of poison its been taking in for years.

Relatively heavy weights (increasing as you get stronger, but without causing injury), high intensity, low reps. Involve the largest muscle groups as possible eat time...leg press, bench press, lat pull/pull ups etc. These types of exercises can wake up your T producing system, calling upon it, akin to simulating survival type of mode.

Last edited:
I have near zero testosterone due to a previous illness. I use a compounded T cream and I like my levels around 700.

Without a doubt, a man is far more healthy with normal T levels, than with very low levels. Low levels lead directly to belly fat, metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance and diabetes. Higher levels coupled with exercise lead to real benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back