2018 Hyundai Sonata SEL 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well due to unforeseen circumstances my Wife will be off work for possibly quite some time. So we had to downsize a few things to make sure we didn't stretch ourselves to thin. I traded in the Ram for a 2018 Sonata.

It will get driven to work which is 20-25 minutes 90% highway.

My plan for this one is to stick with 5k OCI's since it is D.I. After the first free dealer oil change at about 1,500 miles I'm going to use 5w30 Valvoline synthetic and OE filters. Will be nice to stock all the same filters and oil since both vehicles use the same everything. also run Top tier fuel except once a month with the Kroger points.

Sound like a solid plan?

I wish a brand new car was considered downsizing for me..lol..

Your plan sounds fine to me
smile.gif

Sorry to hear the circumstances. Hoping for the best for you and the family.

Yes, the plan sounds like a solid one. Here are the TDS for VFS...

Originally Posted By: wemay

Thanks brother, and thanks for the info. I heard Valvoline and Ashland was splitting, anything on that?

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

smile.gif

Going from a 2015 Ram 4x4, this is downsizing. About a $340 a month difference between the two between payment, gas and insurance. lol

Yeah that's a huge difference MuzzleFlash40. $340 is a lot of money to a strong majority of people out here.
I agree with Wemay that your plan is a good one.
I hope that your wife can get better soon enough. Take everything one day at a time. That's all you can do. Has hard as this is to do... Try not to "solve" her problems or give her an answer. She may well just need you to listen and just be there. And yes, I know that goes against everything about us being guys and all. Hard to do.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
smile.gif

Lol, agreed!

Solid plan - except run one of the new DEXOS 1 Gen 2 synthetic 5W30 oils ... The one that catches my eye is the new PP 5W30 DEXOS 1 Gen 2 synthetic which is a thin (for grade) 30 weight that also meets Euro specs for staying in grad (prevent fuel dilution).

I believe both your vehicles spec 5W-20 on the oil cap. So not sure extended oil change use of 5W-30 would fulfill warranty requirements.
I do like the NOACK of the 5W-20.

FWIW, In Canada, Hyundai requires 3,750 mile OCI.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Going from a 2015 Ram 4x4, this is downsizing. About a $340 a month difference between the two between payment, gas and insurance. lol

But what about the length of these payments?

Danno
Sure 5w20 is printed on the cap but, fuel dilution is common with the Hyundai/KIA engines. When I smelled gasoline in my drained oil, I went to 5W30. 3,750 mile OCI is for severe and 7,500 normal. I do 5,000 with an OE filter. A good synthetic blend is also fine for 5,000 OCI. My KIA does well on Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W30. The Hyundai dealership uses QS 5W30 blend as their fill.

Last edited:
Mparr it's not common except in early direct injection engines. Previous MPI engines to the early DI engines it wasn't common and it isn't now in the latest vehicles with/without DI. There are UOA's on here that show this.

The smell test isn't accurate. My Journey's oil smells like fuel at change time but it shows 0 fuel dilution on the UOA and I regularly drive it like I stole it.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay

Great plan with a great oil.

Looking at the specs, and acknowledging no 10w30 oil is Dexos approved, what is it that makes this true. That 10w30 looks just as good as either the 5w20 or 5w30 which are both approved? Would be interested in knowing why.

If it's anything like the older 2.4 GEMA engine used in Hyundai and Chrysler/Jeep, I would recommend the 5w20 Mobil 1. Great oil.

I did my OCI last month with it & it runs superb in this motor. Very quiet and smooth. Before then it was always a little noisy on the valve train with Smitty's 5w20.

The only other smooth oil I used on this engine was PYB 5w20. My OCI has always been 4,000-5,000. No fuel dilution after 98,000 miles.

GL

Last edited:
Neither Hyundai in my signature have fuel scent on the dipstick and the couple of UOA performed on the SFS turbo confirmed this for that vehicle, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back