Begging your car to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it annoy anybody else when you hear somebody talking to their car, especially the "come on baby" or the "please start?" I mean, come on, sweet talking the piece of junk won't get it running.

grin.gif

Seen plenty of people do this, usually don’t feel too bad about the ones that I have seen since it is very clear that they have not maintained their car well at all. Just saw a guy at Meijer last week with a beaten up Volvo doing just that, he ended up pulling out a nice phone and a cigarette while waiting for help!

I know some people who will be walking through the walmart parking lot and hear a car struggling to start and say "come on baby" thinking that will help the junker start for the person.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Seen plenty of people do this, usually don’t feel too bad about the ones that I have seen since it is very clear that they have not maintained their car well at all. Just saw a guy at Meijer last week with a beaten up Volvo doing just that, he ended up pulling out a nice phone and a cigarette while waiting for help!

I see you have a Chevy. Understood.

Originally Posted By: Scienceman
Originally Posted By: FirstNissan

I see you have a Chevy. Understood.
Darn those Chevy Toyotas!

Originally Posted By: Scienceman
Haha! Quoted wrong person!

I love a GM bash fail!

Its not necessarily "begging", could be just friendly encouragement.

I wouldn't have called my Lada "baby" though, it was always addressed as "Comrade" or "Tovarishch"

Its part of the mechanical sympathy / bonding thing. If you drive a shiny appliance, I understand why you wouldn't get it. I can't remember ever saying anything to my company car when I had one.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Its not necessarily "begging", could be just friendly encouragement.

I wouldn't have called my Lada "baby" though, it was always addressed as "Comrade" or "Tovarishch"

Its part of the mechanical sympathy / bonding thing. If you drive a shiny appliance, I understand why you wouldn't get it. I can't remember ever saying anything to my company car when I had one.

Or nachinat' suka !

I don't talk to cars, they are just an old appliance, they know if they don't go, they go. I say to my motorcycle when I go for a ride, that we will look after each other today.

This is going to start being pretty foreign soon as more and more cars have keyless start/go. All I do is hit the button on my car and it automatically cranks it the right amount to start it. Usually just a quick tap and then I grab my seat belt and it's started and ready to go. You never end up accidentally cranking it while its running too because if you hit it again, it just shuts the car off.

It'll be a long time before they trickle down to my pay scale - I usually buy a non runner that is too expensive to repair. I don't think modern cars are going to get there.

If my car doesn't start, I don't beg it.
I'm the only one to blame if things don't go as planned with regards to preventative maintenance.

Like that commercial where that guy gets out of his truck and sings that song about... "Please pretty ponies please please please" etc etc etc.. hoping to coax more horsepower out of his motor
smile.gif
Now that commercial was funny.

Last edited:
Not if the engine stops suddenly and you're suddenly coasting trying to find a spot to pull over.

Why would someone talking to their car annoy you ?

Sit on the couch and explain to us why it creates angst within you...how was your relationship with your mother ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back