Resizing back down to stock, 5.3L 2005 Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally bought a flood replacement truck. 2005 Silverado with the 5.3. The truck is in good condition, but has somewhat higher mileage (147,000). The previous owner is running 265-70-17 tires, but I know the stock size is 245-70-17.

Whats your thoughts on this? It seems the 5.3 V8 handles the larger size tires OK. Run them until needing replacements? Thanks.

If they're in good shape and you don't mind how it looks or drives you might as well use up the tread on the current tires then replace them in whatever size you'd prefer when its due. Existing tire miles are essentially free tire miles. I say run them. I think the 4wd or Z71 trucks came with the 265 tire stock.

You are right about the economics of it.

I bet the 4WD or Z-71 trucks have lower gearing to compensate for the taller size. They probably have to have lower gearing to keep the speedo correct. Mine currently reads 4-5 miles too low at highway speeds.

The speedometer would drive me nuts.

I’d have to put the correct size tires on it (probably) or have it programmed for the wrong size.

Last edited:
When I replace tires on trucks I upsize 1-2 tire sizes and it usually puts my speedo spot on. With stock size tires the speedometer runs fast on every car/truck I've owned since I starting checking with a GPS. OP's 265s are 31.6" diameter and stock 245s are 30.5" diameter, a 3.6% increase. Unless he tows or hauls heavy they won't matter a bit, and probably look a little better. MPGs could be a few tenths better highway driving.

Are you sure those are not stock? I had a 2007 Sierra Z71 (and my 2012 Suburban) with that size as stock.

Both of those vehicles came that way from the factory and it shows as an added option due to a package on the vehicle (Z71, etc).

I do like narrower tires for snow however and I'm sure the truck would seem peppier with those slightly smaller tires.

Either way, congrats on finding a new ride and enjoy!

We have an 05' GMC K1500, 4x4, 4.8L, lwb. base model in our fleet at work. The label in the drivers door jamb shows 265/70-17s. All the 2wd C1500's, same vintage run 245/70-17.
Is the label missing on your truck?

Last edited:
Yes, the 245's are the stock size. I went by DT to air everything up the day I got it, and even aired up the spare, which is still a 245. DT checked, and they indicate 245 for my truck. Tirerack says the same, too (mine is a 2 WD).

I'd run these until it's time for new tires, no problem. But I'd go back to stock size when it's time for replacement.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
If they're in good shape and you don't mind how it looks or drives you might as well use up the tread on the current tires then replace them in whatever size you'd prefer when its due. Existing tire miles are essentially free tire miles. I say run them. I think the 4wd or Z71 trucks came with the 265 tire stock.

This is what I'd do as well. Unless I was really disliking the ride/tires/fuel economy/etc. I'd use them up before buying new ones.

Also, for [censored], I checked out 255/70R17's as well as a middle ground if you did like something slightly larger. that could be a possibility down the road as well.

You could easily run the 265's if you wanted. It actually corrected the speedo on my 08 2WD Silverado. I ran 245 Blizzak's in the winter, and 265's in the summer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back