Kroger Fuel & Techron

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new Kroger opens up a mile from my house this weekend. We typically gas up at Shell, Exxon, QT, or Texaco (all TT), but now will likely start filling up at Kroger. Due to 1) proximity & convenience, 2) the signs already showing 20 cents cheaper per gallon, and 3) utilizing the fuel points...

All that to say, I’m thinking about running Techron Concentrate every OCI, since the Buick has always had TT fuel. What say you? Good idea or don’t bother?

Perfect idea. Exactly what I'd do in this situation, I prefer Top Tier personally and usually choose it but not for 20 cents more a gallon. I'd throw a bottle of Techron in a couple weeks before you change the oil.

There probably will not be a .20 cent difference down the road. The discount will be from shopping there and acquiring the fuel points.

That seems to be their model.

Consumer report had an article on that very topic last Aug 2016 https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/

Basically all gasoline has a certain minimum level of detergents and cleaners , but top tier has more. One could probably just dump in some techron in the tank once in a while when filling with a non top tier gasoline or just buy top teir gas every 4-5 fillups or so and have the same thing since that is the main active ingredient anyway. Probably just splitting hairs, in terms of cost whether to run an occasional tank of top teir or dump in a can of Techron every few months. I am not sure what a can of Techron would cost. Kroger might be on the top tier list and if it is it would be overkill to dump in more fuel cleaner, more is not always better when it comes to cleaning.

Nope, Kroger is not top tier here, that is for sure. Their gas tends to be "okay"...

My cobalt used to really hate it, but has got used to it over time. I tend to add Techron every so often if I use Kroger gas-it does help.

Also tend to switch it up and run some top tier fuel in them so that it goes get some better fuel sometimes..

I remember reading here that the same folks that fill Kroger tanks fill the Shell tanks. Seems believable to me seeing how I've never seen a Shell truck on the road here. I don't have a Shell station locally so I don't think I've ever seen one being filled up either.

"Top Tier" seems debatable to me. My Gas Buddy app says which places are and aren't top tier.. some of which have switched around.

Remember: Add Techron before a spate of local driving. It does its work upon shutdown (I was told).

And, around here (No. New Jersey) Shell is ridiculously expensive.

(Holding my breath for the adoption of the red, white and blue motif at BP stations)

The excitement is unbearable.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I remember reading here that the same folks that fill Kroger tanks fill the Shell tanks. Seems believable to me seeing how I've never seen a Shell truck on the road here. I don't have a Shell station locally so I don't think I've ever seen one being filled up either.

"Top Tier" seems debatable to me. My Gas Buddy app says which places are and aren't top tier.. some of which have switched around.

Sounds plausible. Shell offers 10 cents off for Kroger points around here.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Remember: Add Techron before a spate of local driving. It does its work upon shutdown (I was told).

And, around here (No. New Jersey) Shell is ridiculously expensive.

(Holding my breath for the adoption of the red, white and blue motif at BP stations)

The excitement is unbearable.

Yep about as exciting as when Pennzoil changed the labels.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back