2017 Corvette / Mobil 1 5w30 / 5.6k mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dparm
Daniel, again, I'm all for productive debate about the principles of oil analysis, but I feel like that sort of derails my thread about this specific report. The analysis is already done and the results are here, so at the very least, I was hoping for some insight on that.

A discussion about Blackstone vs others is a good one, but shouldn't that be in a separate thread?

Sure, however to answer your original question of what is better is difficult. I did throw some blanket oils for you out there, RL, RLI, Amsoil, Motul, M1EP. You can start there and get one of the highest aftermarket filters (WIX XP, Bosch Purolator, STP XL, etc).

But, you can't really narrow which one would work best without more data so we can see what's really happening. It's difficult to tell right now because there is too much break in wear. So with elemental out of the picture, we just took out a giant chunk out of the UOA. We have no FTIR, no GC or KF. We have TBN/AN but those I don't look at unless we're doing an extended drain, in your case your acid is far too high. M1 has really good acid fighting chemistries, so seeing a high number is not good.

So now we don't know how much wear was from acid and fuel dilution and how much was from break in. You can start to see for someone who can actually guide you, based on professional experience in the racing industry, it's not as simple as just shouting out one magic oil or brand. I did give a starting point for some oils and filters though.

1. Your flash point is too low, this is fuel dilution, indicator you have poor ring seal.

2. Viscosity is too low, due to fuels dilution, M1 does not shear, it is a robust formula.

3. Acid is too high.

4. Looks like you did get it broken in well. I'd stomp on it more to make 100% sure.

Originally Posted By: danielLD
Daniel, again, I'm all for productive debate about the principles of oil analysis, but I feel like that sort of derails my thread about this specific report. The analysis is already done and the results are here, so at the very least, I was hoping for some insight on that.

A discussion about Blackstone vs others is a good one, but shouldn't that be in a separate thread?

Sure, however to answer your original question of what is better is difficult. I did throw some blanket oils for you out there, RL, RLI, Amsoil, Motul, M1EP. You can start there and get one of the highest aftermarket filters (WIX XP, Bosch Purolator, STP XL, etc).

But, you can't really narrow which one would work best without more data so we can see what's really happening. It's difficult to tell right now because there is too much break in wear. So with elemental out of the picture, we just took out a giant chunk out of the UOA. We have no FTIR, no GC or KF. We have TBN/AN but those I don't look at unless we're doing an extended drain, in your case your acid is far too high. M1 has really good acid fighting chemistries, so seeing a high number is not good.

So now we don't know how much wear was from acid and fuel dilution and how much was from break in. You can start to see for someone who can actually guide you, based on professional experience in the racing industry, it's not as simple as just shouting out one magic oil or brand. I did give a starting point for some oils and filters though.

1. Your flash point is too low, this is fuel dilution, indicator you have poor ring seal.

2. Viscosity is too low, due to fuels dilution, M1 does not shear, it is a robust formula.

3. Acid is too high.

4. Looks like you did get it broken in well. I'd stomp on it more to make 100% sure.

The car is still under warranty so I need to stick with dexos1-approved oils. There was also a TSB about using aftermarket filters.

That largely limits me to the big off-the-shelf oils like Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, Kendall GT-1, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline SynPower, etc.

Originally Posted By: danielLD

3. Acid is too high.

The car is still under warranty so I need to stick with dexos1-approved oils. There was also a TSB about using aftermarket filters.

That largely limits me to the big off-the-shelf oils like Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, Kendall GT-1, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline SynPower, etc.

Oh boy, all those oils meet and exceed dexos 1.

1. I've never heard of that TSB, that's illegal, regardless.

I doubt the TSB actually prohibits other filters or anything stupid like that. Chevrolet is justifiably paranoid about the filters on Vettes, given that the original equipment filters grenaded at least two engines on magazine road tests.
wink.gif

Hopefully by the time you bring the car out next spring, the new M1 0w40 formulated for the Corvettes will be available on store shelves! I'm very interested in using this oil for my new Corvette. GM is making this oil backwards compatible so you can use this and retain your powertrain warranty on any 2014-2018 Corvette.

FWIW, I also plan on running the AC Delco PF64 filter on mine as long as it's under warranty (and possibly beyond, as it is a decent filter, and made by Champion Labs I believe)

Mobil 1 5w-30 does not cut it for track use IMO. HTHS too low. If you don't want to switch out to 15w-50 per the manual (and to keep your warranty under track use), then I would go with a Dexos2 5w-30 such as Pennzoil Euro L. Dexos2 is the recommended standard use oil in the European manual.

My results with Euro L and some track days w/24K miles on engine:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7921809&postcount=23

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
With the track time, I'd be running 15W-50 for the warm half of the year and 0W-40/5W-30 for winter.

Or, as previously mentioned, stick with the 5W-30 into next year and see how things look as the engine runs in.

I don't drive the car between November 1 and April 1. It sits in a garage.

Run the M1 15W-50. In my lifetime in the car business I've never heard of a dealer checking oil viscosity to deny a warranty claim. All they care about is the car has oil in it and is not sludged up - which is obvious abuse. I would also not tell them you are racing the car or post about racing the car on social media. After warranty expires - post away. If the engine does grenade (a missed shift can happen), knowledge of racing will be a warranty problem. GM does not warranty cars for racing...and they would be insane if they did. Racing is 100x harder on a car than ordinary street driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back