Removing Rain-X - the final word?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've found that nothing removes it but abrasives.

Alcohol doesn't work, Invisible Glass cleaner (which is diluted acetone) doesn't work.

What does work is glass cleaner with some kind of abrasive, the most common is aluminum oxide. Rain-X sells a glass cleaner under their brand that contains this and I've used it before, it will remove Rain-X. It comes out of the bottle like a thick, soapy gel, rub it on the glass using a microfiber or terry applicator. Watch out when you use this though, hosing it off is not good enough, it leaves a light film that sticks to everything. A single pass with a car wash mitt is all that's needed to remove the film. I usually lump the glass polishing in right before doing the car wash to make sure I get all of it off.

Originally Posted By: gomes512
At work we use a cleaner called DS 1000, made by Dow, for removing silicone on metals and finished surfaces. It's water based, so it probably has some heavy duty emulsifiers in it. It works great, way better than solvents and detergents alone. Not sure if it's industrial only but I'd try searching for silicone/siloxane removal sprays online.if not, maybe Grainger?

Interesting. Searching for DS1000 I also found this on DS2025 which is a solvent version, designed to remove silicon polymers. https://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/default.aspx?R=9982EN

If I can find a small enough amount to make them economical I'll try them out. Thanks for the info.

I'll also try the rainX glass cleaner but I'm nervous it'll just have more of the rainX in the stuff..

Many years ago I tried RainX and ended up removing it. The glare at night plus wiper chatter when it got colder told me it was not a product I could live with. This was in the eighties. I used sudsy ammonia. It took about 90% of it off. The rest wore off eventually.

Try sudsy ammonia if they haven’t outlawed it for some crazy reason.

One thing about using denatured alcohol or acetone, especially the latter, I would be super careful with that stuff around the plastics and the paint finish. If it were me, I would not use it around a vehicle, period.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BJD78
Tried Rain X once probably 10 years ago and IMO it made nighttime glare a lot worse, especially when it was raining. Seemed to come off fine with regular dish soap.

This is why I did not like it.....I have an astigmatism and am pretty sensitive to glare. Plus the chattering and I do not like it.

I use the BonAmi to remove the spray on wax from car washes. I've found the wax disrupts the RainX effectiveness. Not so much to remove the old RainX residue.

I've used red can Bon Ami - NOT the gold can vegan formulation to take off Rain-X and Aquapel. The non-vegan formula uses tallow soap and feldspar, while the vegan formula contains limestone and surfactants in addition to feldspar. There is a minute risk of scratching windshield glass with the new formula.

Body shops use a stoddard solvent and naptha-based wax and grease remover for removing silicone off metal surfaces to be painted. I'd imagine using that and then following up with Bon Ami or a good glass cleaner like Sprayway would work.

Originally Posted By: bloc
I considered having it polished off but have zero experience with a polisher and want to see if I can do this at home.
Read my post on polishing glass for ideas.

Buy an plastic HDLT lens polishing kit like the one mentioned above, skip the sandpaper pads, and go straight for the polishing compound (a windshield is made of tempered glass which is MUCH harder than a polycarbonate lens), chuck the pad in a cordless drill and go at it.

Don't forget to clean the INSIDE of the windshield with the product of your choice to remove all halos/smears/film/etc.

Originally Posted By: Cdn17Sport6MT
I once decided to remove RainX -- and I contacted the mfr. Now this was some 30 or 35 years ago, I'm afraid, and the chemical formulation of RainX may have changed. In any case, at the time, I was told to use the cleanser "Bon Ami" which I believe is still available in US grocery stores (not in Canada, for many years). Well, it did work, and I can't recall any damage that resulted to the windshield ('78 Chev BelAir).

Mebe try with that product?

Cheers from Vancouver.

I have used Bon Ami with great success

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
..never use Rain-x...got it.

33.gif

I personally Love the stuff. I haul buns down the highway without using my wipers and have better visibility then the guy next to me with his wipers at full blast. It's totally worth it to me.

Oh, and it extends wiper blade Life.
27.gif

Rain-X X-treme clean glass cleaner did the job.

I actually applied a fresh treatment to a side window and tried Acetone, 91% isopropyl alcohol, lighter fluid, rain-x x-treme clean, and the rain-x deep cleaning windshield kit to different spots on that window. the x-treme clean is the ONLY spot that you could tell anything had been done.. and that spot, perfectly clean glass.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Oh, and it extends wiper blade Life.
27.gif

In theory.. the problem is that when you DO need your wipers, it won't leave a thin film behind that evaporates cleanly, what is left behind beads up causing streaks/spots.

Yes, nothing short of amazing.

I got mine from amazon. Quite cheap, too.

This image is hosted at walmart.com so there's a chance they have it in store..

2bf0d3de-28ee-4865-81af-f19b1d8a5f37_1.bb9fe01670f626d93c6fa2a58973da32.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back