Sticking with one oil brand for life of vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ndfergy
Garak: Ditto

No problem. Trust me, my suggestions were from a standpoint of being very cost effective, to the point they'll be hard to beat without taking a trip south.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
The choice is made because the consumer trusts a brand will keep up with industry standards, maintain a level of quality, can find what they need without hassle, prices are within reason of competitors and so on.

Couldn't the same be said about just about all major oil brands out there? And if so, why Valvoline specifically?
smile.gif

As far as your original question, I wouldn't think there'd be any benefit nor negative of doing so.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: wemay
The choice is made because the consumer trusts a brand will keep up with industry standards, maintain a level of quality, can find what they need without hassle, prices are within reason of competitors and so on.

Couldn't the same be said about just about all major oil brands out there? And if so, why Valvoline specifically?
smile.gif

As far as your original question, I wouldn't think there'd be any benefit nor negative of doing so.

Yes absolutely. But i was answering in the context of Shannow's statement that it may not be the same oil from one formulation change the to the next. I understand his point but my response has to do with trusting that the brand chosen will keep up with industry change. Yes, whatever brand you choose.

I like Valvoline because, i remember my Pops using it many years ago. I also found some Valvoline containers while packing my folk's home after he passed away this August. It's a simple ode to a hard working humble father.

wemay
I know exactly how you feel about Valvoline. When I started doing my own changes, Valvoline was my main choice. I would sometimes use Havoline. Those were back when there were no synthetic oils other than Amsoil. With the advent of modern GDI engines, I haven’t been brand loyal. I stay within the vehicle manufacturers specs. I never have been a fan of Castrol, I will buy it if the price is right. I intend to try the Valvoline SynPower in the near future.

wemay,

A friend of mine’s father who has since passed on was a mechanic all his life and in particular worked for the US Post Office for well over thirty years. He used one oil in his garage and in his vehicles, Valvoline. During his time in the USPO, he worked on the small jeeps they used to run in the 50’s and on till the switch to the box trucks today.

Today his son continues the tradition in his vehicles.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
wemay,

A friend of mine’s father who has since passed on was a mechanic all his life and in particular worked for the US Post Office for well over thirty years. He used one oil in his garage and in his vehicles, Valvoline. During his time in the USPO, he worked on the small jeeps they used to run in the 50’s and on till the switch to the box trucks today.

Today his son continues the tradition in his vehicles.

Completely understand.

You know what Wemay... I get exactly what you are saying. I think it is a great idea to run/use Valvoline in honor of your father. One thing to add to this idea... Find old Valvoline advertising pieces, signs, and oil cans. Put them in your garage. Especially from you dad's era when he used them.

If I were to do this... I would get a Daiwa baitcast reel. The same as my dad used many, many times while fishing.

Those are some very good ideas bbhero. These are like physical links to family history.

In 1955, my folks purchased a mahogany bedroom set. Bed frame, chest of drawers, dresser with mirror, and two nightstands. Furniture was well made back then. The set ended up in a spare bedroom as time went on and recently I took the set for our bedroom in the new house. Not only did we save by not buying a set but we can tell the story about this set as well.

Oil has a similar tradition but it’s not physical unless you have something from that previous era. For some reason, Valvoline has a very tight tradition among its users. Pennzoil does as well but now being made by SOPUS might cloud that some. Havoline is another brand with a tight following. Too bad it’s hard to find.

Sta-Lube boys. That's a brand to follow
laugh.gif

STA-LUBE®, founded in 1933 and an innovator in the use of additives to create high performance motor oil, was acquired by CRC in 1995. Today CRC supplies the broad line of STA-LUBE “Intentionally Better Products,” including greases, gear oils, service oils and fluids, hand cleaners, additives and lubrication equipment, all rigorously tested to meet OE specs and the highest quality standards.

In the 1960's Sta-Lube was one of the better racing oils. Made a lot of passes down Fremont Drag Stip running Sta-Lube. Sort of wish they were still generally around ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back