How long do your laptops last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My however many year old second-hang HP Elitebook 8730w is still going strong. One of the ram sticks died and the charger quit. Battery doesn't hold a charge but I never unplug it, it just sits at home. Used for several hours daily, it's been dropped and banged around. Still works great.

I have had my most recent MacBook Pro only about a year. It is a Retina 15" 2015 with an i7, 16GB RAM and a 256GB SSD -- a model where it is still a M.2 NVMe.

I have no reason to believe this machine won't be serving me well for another 6 years. And I'm content with that... buying a new MBP every 6-8 years. OS X is my "daily driver" OS. I simply cannot go back to Windows for day-to-day tasks.

I did recently build a new AMD Ryzen system with Windows 10... that is strictly for gaming and only gets turned on for PC video games.

Sounds like a MacBook of some variant would be a great fit.

3-5 years...I bought my current Lenovo off the shelf at an Office Max around early 2012. It's getting pretty raggedy, but it keeps going. It's definitely due for replacement though. It has lasted about 2 years longer than the two off the shelf HPs before it. The first HP's screen went out and wasn't worth fixing. Second HP had major motherboard failure. The Lenovo has messed up screen hinges and Windows is shot on it (runs Linux).

I have an 8-1/2 year old MacBook Pro. Runs like an absolute champ, battery is getting a little less than optimal but still good enough for me. I'd never spend that kind of money though, I got it a few years ago from my work for $25, used.

I also have a 4-1/2 year old cheap Asus laptop, works somewhat ok I guess. Don't use it much.

I still run my 2010 MacBook Air almost daily. Battery even still works well. I also have a 2008-ish MacBook Pro that I run Windows on now and again. I did replace the battery and change to an ssd on that. Both run perfect otherwise.

My 2006 and 2009 Macbooks still work fine, although both have had their batteries changed already. I didn't buy the Unibody Macbooks/Macbook Pros because I heard they didn't last as long as the older models. My 13-inch 2010 Macbook Air lasted only 4 1/2 years.

I just sold my Dell from 2009 that still worked great, but I came across a smoking deal on a new HP Probook so figured it was time to update.

Thinkpad R61i. It would be around 10 years old. No touchpad (which I prefer). SSD and Linux still plenty fast for my needs. It is the best keyboard I have used.

How long do your laptops last?

I am typing this on a Dell Latitude D630 that has been 100% trouble-free for 7 years.
Windows 7 Pro.
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude-D630-notebook-computer/dp/B004VC3NM0

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I have rarely gotten more than 3 years from a computer, laptop or desktop.

Weird.... I get 8-9 years from my desktops, and I only buy Dell Re-Furbs for $119 each. (about $15 a year)

Three laptops and two HP workstations and they are all over 5 years old. Fav laptop is a Gateway that must be getting close to 10 years old. Most run XP Pro, but a few have upgraded to W7. I stay at the back of the upgrade line and hang on as long as possible
laugh.gif

I run legacy software as it does what I need. AutoCAD, Arcview, Diamond Cut 8, and Office 2007. I will not be joining the "rental" software schemes ...
frown.gif

Have an very low end Acer that's almost a decade old. Think it was an obsolete EMachines laptop that Acer rebranded and shoved off on WalMart for a special buy.

Started with Windows Vista, updated to Win 7--that ran slower and slower so switched to Ubuntu 12.04, slowed down with 14.04, so moved to Lubuntu. Presently running Peppermint Linux on it and using it occasionally as sort of a Chromebook-- no local storage although I could. Runs fine although the battery is pretty well shot but hasn't been my daily driver for a couple of years. Had I kept Win 7 on it, it would have been toast years ago. It was taking a looooooong time to boot. Real fast now.

Last edited:
I usually buy quality built higher end laptops and they last about 6 years. I find the batteries are the weakest point. I would have bought a new Macbook Pro and put windows on it but I'm not a fan of their new terrible keyboard or the fact that the ram can't be upgraded any longer. Also the pricing has gone stupid so this time I got a Dell all aluminum with a Kabby lake processor, touch screen that allows you to push the screen all the way back to the back side so you can use it as a tablet. Really happy with it.

Depends on where you originally buy them. I got one of those black Friday cheap-O deals at Walmart a few years back. Worked OK, but started really slowing down. 2 years ago, I bought an HP from the Microsoft store and that thing still rocks and is still blazingly fast. That cheap one, I scrubbed everything off of it and loaded just chrome on it strictly for internet, works OK, but still slow. Memory was obviously limited because it was so cheap....100 bucks I think. You get what you pay for.

I've own ThinkPads for the last 15 years. I always bore of them before I get a new one. At least 3 years and this is from someone who used to do 70+ flights a year for many years.

I got a free HP G6 laptop in 2011 for signing up for internet and tv. They were under $500 in store. I recently put a new battery ($30) in it and a SSD ($90), it is faster/better than ever.

I still have a Compaq from 2002 that physically works well (except for the dead battery). Unfortunately, it doesn't have enough computing power to do anything.

I have been using My Asus laptop since I bought it in 2010. My girlfriend actually took it to do her photoshop work in for the most part now days since I don't use a laptop much. I generally just use a desktop.

I buy 3 year old off-lease business class Dell laptops, from Dell Financial on eBay. I pay a small fraction of the new cost of that unit (usually around $1200-$1400 new), I always pay less than $300. They come fully refurbished with a fresh install of Windows 7 or 8 Pro.

I will use it 2 to 3 more years, and then walk away from it.

Since these are business class models, they are dockable, just like my work laptop... so I can dock it and use it on my multiple monitor setup in my home office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back