Replace or repair over the hood micorwave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
..Like you guys said the main reason for repair instead of new one would be to drill holes, that'll be some 2 people effort. Plus there's always the risk that new bracket will not line up with the old one..

I've never had the back bracket be the same between units. I've even had the staggering of the mounting holes for the back bracket be different, such that I had to find additional studs.

I've been able to hang them myself by using some scraps of 2"x4"s to make a "T" or "I" to prop it up off the surface of the stove top or counter top.

More then likely the fan motor does NOT have worn bearings but dry bronze bearings
lacking oil!

I pulled out a few noisy fan motors in microwaves and fridges and lubed front and rear bronze
bearings with a hypo needle full of fine oil (electric razor oil / sewing machine oil, etc 3 in 1 oil)
allowed it to soak in. I allowed gravity and application site to allow the oil to seep into the bearings
spun the fans a bit and put them back in.

OK for years now. Why did I do it? I like the microwave and the fridge, older & better built!

Yah , I re-lube the heater blower motors in the BMWs by soaking the ends in ATF.
grin2.gif

Id get a used motor from reputable Ebay dealer and it is an easy swap. No wires to cut, just a couple of bolts and done.

Do check to see if this is a recurring problems with this model and if there are some recommendations for lubrication points.

If it dies again, buy two motors next time.
smile.gif

I'd figure out if/how the handle could be removed, then apply the same process to new models. If you can find one with the same interface/mounting system, buying new has no challenge - get the new one, have matching handles and decor, and be happy. Sell the used one to recoup a few bucks.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I would try to get an aftermarket motor for it, even if I had to figure out how to mount a generic motor in it's place.

Correct - - it's just a very generic shaded-pole induction motor.... about a million enter the USA every day on cargo ships. They are used in everything (seriously) and i'll bet 90% of the microwaves out there use the same darn thing as yours...

the advice to oil the motor is spot on.
pull it so you have good access to the endplates and can get oil into the packing.
a zoom spout oiler is nice for this.they are filled with the correct oil.
i have even used m1 0w20 in a syringe with good success.
avoid most new microwaves.
they are mostly junk.
the newer ge units i have seen are actually daewoo.
cheap and nasty is an understatement.
panasonic inverter units are worth looking at.
i will keep my 35 year old sanyo micro convec.
all stainless with a ceramic floor.
curb shopped 30 years ago and it only needed the stirrer bearing.
its been in heavy everyday use since with 1 lightbulb being the only problem.
i even have a spare 2m172j on the shelf but the original shows no sign of fading output.

Interesting to know that new GE are Daewoo, I though they were bought by Haier.

The motor is very common, actually I think most of the GE OTR microwave use a version of this Samsung motor with a squirrel cage on each side. I prefer not to take it apart and the bigger problem I see is the greasy air it vent out causing extra wear and tear. Selling a new one for $150-180 is pure rip off. Even with the best quality it should only cost about $5 to make.

If I get a new motor I would not need to worry about back splash lining up with a new microwave or drilling new holes in the cabinet above.

If I get a new microwave then I can sell this microwave for probably $50 on craigslist.

That "greasy air" you mention supports my earlier recommendation for a good cleaning/degreasing. The squirrel cages might be unbalanced now due to heavy grease as well, thus leading to increased motor noise.

One way or the other, you're still going to have to remove the old motor + blowers.

Yup!

Whatever you do, don't run a microwave w/o a fan, it also cools the magnetron, the
heart of the microwave.

Another fix:

Yrs back I had a microwave at the cottage that would die when you pushed 'start'.
Turned out the processor chip in a pocket on the circuit board had tin flashed pins
that were all black from oxidation. Gently popped it out and cleaned the pins then cycled
in & out of the socket 3 times. Then re-assembled, all OK now for 10 years now!

might be the main issue.
a dose of oil to the packings while you are in there and its probably good for the rest of its useful life.
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
That "greasy air" you mention supports my earlier recommendation for a good cleaning/degreasing. The squirrel cages might be unbalanced now due to heavy grease as well, thus leading to increased motor noise.

One way or the other, you're still going to have to remove the old motor + blowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back