GM Dex-Cool, 134K miles, 04 Chevy Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Dex used to have issues but it flat out does not anymore. Even Ford is using it now.

Did they reformulate it? or did the cooling system design change?

As noted above^^^ it appears to be the same formula.

The real problem was gaskets. Dex isn't the big stinker the Internet has portrayed it as.

+1 Dex is EXCELLENT at keeping cooling systems clean but once a foreign coolant or air is introduced it can cause issues. The issues with the older vehicles were that the acids used in Dexcool would eat away at the gasket material (namely the Lower Intake and Head gaskets.) For the cars that experienced this, AC Delco and other have created new gaskets that are made of materials that wont corrode. Essentially fixing the issue. The only issue is that so many people are afraid of it and frankly I would chaulk it up to their ignorance. If you are truely worried I would switch to Peak Global.

+1. Dex cool started being put in in the '95-'96 vehicles don't remember exactly which one. When I bought my '96 roadmaster last year I did some research on dex cool since I had never had a car with the orange stuff before. And that's what I came across. Though the car was low mileage, I don't know how long it had been since the previous owner had done a coolant flush. Anyways, in the coolant reservoir I saw dark orange/brown pellets. Looked like some of it had turned into little balls of mud. My first thought was Oh No! I hope this hasn't ruined anything. And then I went ahead and did a coolant flush. I put in some new prestone dexcool and distilled water. Instead of doing it 50/50 though I made it about 65/35 (more dexcool then water).
On another note, I figure when you buy coolant that's already 50/50- it's not actually 50/50. They dilute it more than that. It's really 40/60 or 45/55

Last edited:
well it sure didn't come out of an all aluminum and plastic radiator!

We run dex in factory filled fleet vehicles to component failure, and it's almost always more than 150k miles.

Never a problem. EVER.

Dex used to have issues but it flat out does not anymore. Even Ford is using it now.

My daughters 2000 Cavalier had original Dex and it was fine.

Dex cool started being put in in the '95-'96 vehicles don't remember exactly which one. When I bought my '96 roadmaster last year I did some research on dex cool since I had never had a car with the orange stuff before. And that's what I came across. Though the car was low mileage, I don't know how long it had been since the previous owner had done a coolant flush. Anyways, in the coolant reservoir I saw dark orange/brown pellets. Looked like some of it had turned into little balls of mud. My first thought was Oh No! I hope this hasn't ruined anything. And then I went ahead and did a coolant flush. I put in some new prestone dexcool and distilled water. Instead of doing it 50/50 though I made it about 65/35 (more dexcool then water).
On another note, I figure when you buy coolant that's already 50/50- it's not actually 50/50. They dilute it more than that. It's really 40/60 or 45/55 [/quote]

It sounds to me like somebody added Barsleaks or Genuine GM pellets (I believe Barsleaks makes the GM pellets).

My 1999 Camaro has original DexCool until 2012 when I changed it upon purchase from the orig owner. Everything looked fine except the coolant was a rather dirty orange/brown. Radiator was spotless. I've stuck with DexCool and change it every 4 yrs.

Well if you truly want to keep your coolant system working good you should use the coolant recommended for your car, and do a coolant flush every 70,000-110,000 miles (depending on city or highway driving).

interestingly to me but I went to my usual garage and asked what they charge to change the coolant in 2 of the vehicles I maintain: 2 liter Turbo and a 3 liter NA that are not near the mileage but are near the time the Owners Manual says the Dex-Cool should be changed...my mechanics told me it really isn't necessary to change it but they would if I really wanted too.

I've been using these guys for over 30 years, it it was really required, why wouldn't they take advantage of at least 2 coolant changes???...

I've done the other checks that I can on these cars, checked their pH, checked for electrolysis, and checked with the bulb type tester and they appear to be as new after 5 years each...

I've had Dex-Cool in my GM cars since 1999 (3.8 liter V6) and have never had an issue attributable to Dex-Cool...YMMV

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back