Delvac ESP or LE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I've been using Mobil Delvac ESP 5w40 in my Kubota diesel (30wt or 40wt oils are recommended in the owner's manual). It's been stored indoors in past winters, but we recently moved and it will now spend cold winters outside. It does not have a block heater. Delvac ESP 5w40 seems to have worked well in my application to date, but I'm concerned about cold winter starts now that the Kubota will be started outside. The latest spec sheet from Mobil says the oil has a Pour Point of -30 degrees Celsius. I expected it to Pour at much colder temps.

Would Delvac ESP 0w40 provide easier starts at cold temps, yet still provide the same degree of overall engine protection as the 5w40? The 5w40 appears to have many more approvals. Or would switching to Delvac LE 5w30 be better?

Thank you!

What are you winter temperatures like? Usually a 5/xx is good down to -30 or so like you said, so if youre not coming near those temps any of those choices will work well.

PetroCan Duron 0w30 has great cold weather specs as well. Not sure of the price difference though compared to the others.

Originally Posted By: donvalley
Would Delvac ESP 0w40 provide easier starts at cold temps, yet still provide the same degree of overall engine protection as the 5w40? The 5w40 appears to have many more approvals. Or would switching to Delvac LE 5w30 be better?

Thank you!

ESP 0W40 would be my preferred choice to 5W30/40 in your applications.

Out of curiosity, does a Pour Point of -30 degrees Celsius for ESP 5w40 synthetic oil seem accurate? Aren't most synthetics of that grade in the -45 degrees range?

If MRV and dynamic viscosity is the same thing … they almost the same.
Higher TBN with Delvac 1.

Don, you could also check out Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 if you're really looking for something good for the cold. Note that many 0w-40 and 0w-30 HDEOs from even the big players lack a lot of approvals. For something that isn't under warranty or having some strange spec, I wouldn't worry in the least. Rotella Multi-Vehicle 5w-30 and Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 are essentially interchangeable; at least they're competing products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back