Your Opinion Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning folks,

I have came to this forum for help in a different way than usual. Not the oil break down what is best (whatever that means right) oil out there, but I am here today for help with something else.

I came here due to the vast types of people here and they are all not car enthusiasts like I am, so I am trying to get a non car biased opinion as possible.

All this is over a potential Car Purchase.

For some on this forum that know me, I am an avid car enthusiast. Have been for as long as I remember. Over the years, I have been very fortunate to own some very nice performance cars, nothing crazy like Ferrari or anything, but I have been an avid WRC fan since I was a child, and I grew up loving Rally Cars.

in 2003 I purchased my first one a Lancer Evolution 8. Then in 2006 bought 2 more Lancer Evo's selling, or trading up each time. In 2012 I bought my 4th Evo, an Evo X GSR.

Unfortunately, in that same year I divorced my wife, could not afford the car payment any longer, and had to sell the car. At that time, my finances took a serious nose dive to the dirt. I had to sell my car, lost my home to foreclosure, and moved in with my folks. This was not easy being in my 40's and a father of 2 kids.

I knew though I had to start over. The Divorce devastated me in many ways. I was able to get a used Hyundai Elantra to drive around in and had that for about 6 months when I handed the keys over to the ex wife. Long story on her car. Anyway, she wanted to buy some [censored] car that was salvaged and I felt for my kids that it just wouldn't be safe. So I gave her the keys to my Elantra so my kids could at least be in somewhat safe car.

I was borrowing cars from friends I knew that had extras, and my Dad came up to me and said he would help me get another car, he thought what I did with my car was the right thing to do and he was so kind to sign for a new car for me. Mind you I was working as a State Employee, had stable income and all, just my credit was shot from the Divorce that led to many financial problems as a result of such.

I chose a VW GTI as a good compromise. Fun to drive, reasonable affordable and not too crazy to maintain.

I bought the VW new in Jan 2013. In Feb 2017 I paid off the VW and in the first time in a LONG time I actually OWNED a nice car.

Now, my credit has bounced back, I am in a home again, but due to a work injury I applied for a medical retirement and I was very grateful to get approved. My income is 50% of what it used to be, but I am getting by ok.

I have been thinking so much about something I can do for myself to help bring me up. I have been pretty down after the retirement, divorce stuff, just everything. One thing that always gave me pleasure was my rally cars. I realize now I cant race in any capacity, I cant turn wrenches on cars like I used to, but to drive one again.

I have this opportunity to buy a new 2017 Ford Focus RS. Price is right, options I want, color I want. I can trade in my VW, have a good down with the car so my payment would be where I could pay for it. Not sure what insurance will be, probably more than I am paying now I am sure. All and all the new car would probably cost me $500-$550 a month, vs my GTI is costing me about $60 a month to own.

I begin thinking about how I should be saving, and not spending, how I should take that money towards the car payments I would have to make, and apply it towards my kids college fund, or just stash the money under the mattress every month.

There is the side of me that says, you only live once, do what makes you happy, then the rational side that says, your an idiot save your money....

I know coming here may not be the best thing, but I would like to get a non biased opinion on what you would do? What do you folks think I should do?

Sure there are many factors here, but with the info I provided, which way would you sway?? Do it because you want to?? Or dont because you want to save the money for a rainy day or something?

Sorry its so long winded here, just a cliff note version actually....Your thoughts, advice and Opinions are much appreciated.

Jeff

Stick with the GTI.
wink.gif

Since you’re at 50% of your previous income, I’d recommend to keep stashing the money away for a rainy day. A GTI is already a pretty fun car. Maybe buy something older that’s fun and you can tinker with, nothing wild like motor swaps but maybe something else you can own for a year, clean it up, and sell for about what you paid for it? Then you’d probably stay interested in it.

Hey Jeff.

So, I won't even try to put myself in your position because that's nearly impossible. I would like to provide some insight from a different perspective, however.

My parents divorced when I was 5 years old, leaving my dad in a similarly disastrous financial situation. They weren't well off to begin with, my mom working two jobs and my dad pulling three just to get by. My mom was alright, moving us in with my grandparents until she was able to get re-married. However, my dad was in rough shape. He bounced around from one bedroom apartments to another, sleeping on the floor in the living room whenever he had me and my sister for the weekend, giving us the bed. It's been 23 years now since then and he's only just recently found some financial stability. While he may never get to retire (without social security), he and his wife are doing alright for themselves.

It was difficult for me to watch my dad struggle. I could recount numerous stories from my childhood, watching him sacrifice and the guilt I felt over it, but I will spare you of all that. What I'm trying to get at, though, is that I will graduate college next month. While I took my time (I'm 28 now) and my wife and I have our fair share of student debt to show for it, I would've taken on twice the debt before I accepted money from my dad for my schooling. Not because I don't think he absolutely wants to and it would make him happy to do so, but because I've learned that all things that are worthwhile in life come with sacrifice and this is my sacrifice, however small.

I won't tell you how to spend your money, but sometimes it's perfectly okay to do what will make you happy. If a new, fun car will do that for you then go for it. For me, I'd prefer to buy an older but still fun car because I like the mechanical challenge but to each his own. If it were my dad, I'd tell him to do the same. After watching him sacrifice for so many years, I'd want him to do whatever made him happiest.

I'm going to guess that you don't have 6 figures in savings. When you get to that stage, then think about spending $500 a month. At this point, you should save your money. When you can pay cash and it's just 10% or less of your savings, then you can afford it.

While it is true you only live once, you also don't want to be stressed the entire time with bills and car payments.

It is hard to say without knowing the numbers of your financial situation. Do the numbers and see if it makes sense. There is a big difference between saying if you buy this car you will be saving less but still able to get by, and buying this car will mean eating ramen noodles with no savings.

Will the new car put you in a spot that might cause you to go back into a bad financial situation? If the answer is yes, then you should look for something else that would be a compromise. More affordable, maybe used, but still fun.

Times change. I agree with the other posts. Hold on to the GTI. I've driven the Focus RS and can unequivocally tell you, for me at least, it is NO GTi in the everyday driver category. It will pound you into submission. If i were looking for something in the Focus RS price range, i'd get the Golf R hands down. Again, save your funds and enjoy the 2013 GTi, it's still a great car.

Jeff:

Your post hit me in a way that hit to the core. In other words, there's little that I can say, outside of wishing you the very best.

As to your car choice, I would definitely stick with the GTI. I'd bet it's a beautiful car (post a pic if you have one!), and you'd be hard pressed to beat German precision.

I would take the extra monthly income and put it towards a house payment (principal), or towards something that's permanent.

Thank You Everyone for your insight, and for sharing your stories.

I really appreciate the points of view here. I am happy I posted here today.

No, I dont have 6 figures on my savings account, but in my pension, so I get monthly payments sent to me.

Would the $500 a month break me? No. I am on the fence because I did go through so much financial heartache and want to be more responsible, that is for sure. Now that I am somewhat sorting out my life again.

Its not that I "need" the car, its just something "for me". If that makes sense at all?

I am 44 with a 17 yr old Autistic Son and a 14 yr old Daughter. I have done all I could and continue to do the best i can for them.

The GTI is a great car, I have only one issue with it in 5 yrs and that is the water pump was leaking, repaired under warranty and zero issues after that.

I just am kinda scared of the GTI really. Now that it is out of warranty, things on this car can be quite expensive to fix. Still would be cheaper than car payments, no doubt.

Its just we all have our weakness in life. Mine is cars. Some its wine, some its watches, or collecting comic books. We all know cars are the worst investment out there, but if it makes you happy is it then worth it?

It would not break the bank, but retirements are never a guarantee are they? Especially these days.

Much appreciate all the advice here.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: wemay
Times change. I agree with the other posts. Hold on to the GTI. I've driven the Focus RS and can unequivocally tell you, for me at least, it is NO GTi in the everyday driver category. It will pound you into submission. If i were looking for something in the Focus RS price range, i'd get the Golf R hands down. Again, save your funds and enjoy the 2013 GTi, it's still a great car.

Thank You Sir for your comment, much appreicated
thumbsup2.gif

Jeff

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Hey Jeff.

So, I won't even try to put myself in your position because that's nearly impossible. I would like to provide some insight from a different perspective, however.

My parents divorced when I was 5 years old, leaving my dad in a similarly disastrous financial situation. They weren't well off to begin with, my mom working two jobs and my dad pulling three just to get by. My mom was alright, moving us in with my grandparents until she was able to get re-married. However, my dad was in rough shape. He bounced around from one bedroom apartments to another, sleeping on the floor in the living room whenever he had me and my sister for the weekend, giving us the bed. It's been 23 years now since then and he's only just recently found some financial stability. While he may never get to retire (without social security), he and his wife are doing alright for themselves.

It was difficult for me to watch my dad struggle. I could recount numerous stories from my childhood, watching him sacrifice and the guilt I felt over it, but I will spare you of all that. What I'm trying to get at, though, is that I will graduate college next month. While I took my time (I'm 28 now) and my wife and I have our fair share of student debt to show for it, I would've taken on twice the debt before I accepted money from my dad for my schooling. Not because I don't think he absolutely wants to and it would make him happy to do so, but because I've learned that all things that are worthwhile in life come with sacrifice and this is my sacrifice, however small.

I won't tell you how to spend your money, but sometimes it's perfectly okay to do what will make you happy. If a new, fun car will do that for you then go for it. For me, I'd prefer to buy an older but still fun car because I like the mechanical challenge but to each his own. If it were my dad, I'd tell him to do the same. After watching him sacrifice for so many years, I'd want him to do whatever made him happiest.

Thank You so much for sharing this story with me. I have been there. I have slept on the floor, so my kids could have the bed. Almost cried reading your story. Thanks so much for sharing with me.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: NDL
Jeff:

Your post hit me in a way that hit to the core. In other words, there's little that I can say, outside of wishing you the very best.

As to your car choice, I would definitely stick with the GTI. I'd bet it's a beautiful car (post a pic if you have one!), and you'd be hard pressed to beat German precision.

I would take the extra monthly income and put it towards a house payment (principal), or towards something that's permanent.

Thank You Sir for your comment, as requested, a photo of my GTI as it is this very day:
[img:left]
inge4nNl.jpg
[/img]
rnGk3Fzl.jpg
[/img]
EX5k8vll.jpg
[/img]

Jeff

Wow, never know what someone has going on in life; thanks for the background. Being a car enthusiast myself, specifically VW/Audi, my recommendation would be to keep the GTI if it still suits your family needs (especially if it's 4 door). If you want to have more fun in a car, there are some things you can do to make the GTI more enjoyable (if you've seen some of my posts, this will make sense):

Stage 1 ECU tune
Better tires and lighter wheels
Possibly aftermarket exhaust (won't add performance but may add a more fun sound) there are many out there
Intake (won't add performance but will sound fun)
Slight lowering (I did about a 1" drop on my GLI a few years ago and still think it looks way better than OEM)

You get the idea; there are things you can spend $ on with this car, and you know it's quirks already. This would be cheaper than a car payment and will add some of the pleasure it sounds like you may have lost for the car over the years.

Mike

Originally Posted By: nolesfan
Wow, never know what someone has going on in life; thanks for the background. Being a car enthusiast myself, specifically VW/Audi, my recommendation would be to keep the GTI if it still suits your family needs (especially if it's 4 door). If you want to have more fun in a car, there are some things you can do to make the GTI more enjoyable (if you've seen some of my posts, this will make sense):

Stage 1 ECU tune
Better tires and lighter wheels
Possibly aftermarket exhaust (won't add performance but may add a more fun sound) there are many out there
Intake (won't add performance but will sound fun)
Slight lowering (I did about a 1" drop on my GLI a few years ago and still think it looks way better than OEM)

You get the idea; there are things you can spend $ on with this car, and you know it's quirks already. This would be cheaper than a car payment and will add some of the pleasure it sounds like you may have lost for the car over the years.

Mike

I did post up some pics of my VW tell me what you think?

I have thought about a Unitronic Stage I tune been on the fence on that for about 2 yrs haha.

Jeff

Looks awesome, Jeff! I love that color. I've never understood why VW doesn't make colors available to both the Jetta and Golf, or at least GTI and GLI. I know they're no longer the same platform or even made in the same facility (haven't been since the mk5 days), but that color... And you have the Driver's Edition wheels, very nice. For me, I'd probably lower on either VW Driver Gear springs (will only do about an inch, maybe a tad more) or even some good coilovers (Bilsteins come to mind) and the Unitronic Stage 1 tune. I did the stage 1+ tune recently and have loved how it wakes the car up. It seems to be more responsive when you want, and especially makes passing at highway speeds much easier.

Anyway, your car, your wallet, but I hope some of this helps
wink.gif

My advice is on the more conservative side. Who will care for you son when you're gone? Are you paying child support? Do you have adequate life insurance for your kids? Are you set for medical insurance? Sounds like you're just getting back on your feet financially and on a limited fixed income and with limited savings. And you want to spend a significant portion of your income on a depreciating asset.

Originally Posted By: nolesfan
Looks awesome, Jeff! I love that color. I've never understood why VW doesn't make colors available to both the Jetta and Golf, or at least GTI and GLI. I know they're no longer the same platform or even made in the same facility (haven't been since the mk5 days), but that color... And you have the Driver's Edition wheels, very nice. For me, I'd probably lower on either VW Driver Gear springs (will only do about an inch, maybe a tad more) or even some good coilovers (Bilsteins come to mind) and the Unitronic Stage 1 tune. I did the stage 1+ tune recently and have loved how it wakes the car up. It seems to be more responsive when you want, and especially makes passing at highway speeds much easier.

Anyway, your car, your wallet, but I hope some of this helps
wink.gif

I have restrained from lowering the car due to [censored] roads and steep driveways. I do agree aesthetically it does look better, just man, the roads are so bad where I am I scrape on stuff now stock.

The Drivers and Wolfsburg Editions came out mid 2013, mine is an early 2013 being made June 2012 In Germany. This Version I have is the best model you can get while keeping the Plaid seats. I didn't want the Autobahn version since it only came with Black Leather seats. Living in the SoCal Desert, Black Leather seats?? No Way. Also, a GTI isn't a GTI without the Plaid IMO
smile.gif

Only Mods I guess you can say are the VW Euro Lip in the front, that is an OEM unit not aftermarket, and the VW German Option Rear LED tail lamps, those are also OEM not aftermarket. I had to buy special harness for them and re code the car for them to work on our USA market cars.

The Color of the car is called "Shadow BLue" and was actually one of the original GTI colors that VW brings back every now and then. I too love the color. From what I was told by a VW Rep while at the dealer was, this Shadow Blue was not intended for the 2013 model year, and was actually meant for 2012. VW decided to finish the batch of paint they had in Germany and give approximately 2500 GTI's this color for 2013. I have one of them.

Mine also is a DSG equipped car, and I was considering a Stage I ECU and DSG tune and maybe just leave the car at that. I dont want to put too much into the car if I decide to just keep the GTI. The Bilstein coil overs are a good idea, for sure, again, though, the roads are garbage out here. The Sun just beats the roads and all the semi's just ruin the roads here.

I really appreciate your interest and your advice. Much appreciated.

Jeff

Bank the $550/month and in 2 years you've got $13K and the GTI to work with.

At 44 you NEED something to engage yourself for your sense of self-worth. Classes, new career if possible, something. We're meant to work, add value.

Hope things continue to improve for you.

If your GTI is still running good. Keep it. Stash a $140 or more a month in the bank and build you new car down payment going into a $550 to $550 dollar a month bill is crazy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back