My wife's reaction to a buddies Corvette purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: researcher
am I missing something not being married? Did I miss the meeting that said when you get married you lose your identity because someone else now controls all your thoughts? Doesn't sound like a relationship sounds more like master/servant. Just had to add that.. you want to go through life with a partner, someone who stands with you, not behind and not over you.. beside you. If you can't have that, what's the point?
21.gif
I remember once a woman told me that I couldn't upgrade the tires on my car because she didn't believe in making a car "ghetto".. All I did was swap all-season rubber for summer, lol.. She wasn't around after that.

Depends entirely on if you married the right girl. Some of my friends cannot buy a quart of oil without getting in trouble with the wife. Been with mine for 30 years and would not trade her for anything. She supports what I want to do 100% and I do the same for her. I make sure she gets whatever car and anything else she wants. In return she supports whatever I want no matter how ridiculous it might seem to others. At last count I have owned 87 cars and trucks, 10 boats including a 35' yacht (which was a giant money pit), and 11 motorcycles in my life. If I even mention a car I might be interested in, she immediately wants me to go look at one and bring her along. We are currently considering a new Charger Hellcat, or a CanAm Spyder or maybe both. Some guys live in marital heaven and others in a perpetual nightmare. It is up to you to make the right choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Originally Posted By: researcher
am I missing something not being married? Did I miss the meeting that said when you get married you lose your identity because someone else now controls all your thoughts? Doesn't sound like a relationship sounds more like master/servant. Just had to add that.. you want to go through life with a partner, someone who stands with you, not behind and not over you.. beside you. If you can't have that, what's the point?
21.gif
I remember once a woman told me that I couldn't upgrade the tires on my car because she didn't believe in making a car "ghetto".. All I did was swap all-season rubber for summer, lol.. She wasn't around after that.

Depends entirely on if you married the right girl. Some of my friends cannot buy a quart of oil without getting in trouble with the wife. Been with mine for 30 years and would not trade her for anything. She supports what I want to do 100% and I do the same for her. I make sure she gets whatever car and anything else she wants. In return she supports whatever I want no matter how ridiculous it might seem to others. At last count I have owned 87 cars and trucks, 10 boats including a 35' yacht (which was a giant money pit), and 11 motorcycles in my life. If I even mention a car I might be interested in, she immediately wants me to go look at one and bring her along. We are currently considering a new Charger Hellcat, or a CanAm Spyder or maybe both. Some guys live in marital heaven and others in a perpetual nightmare. It is up to you to make the right choice.

I went through two CanAm Spyders before going to car-like 3 wheelers. CanAm has their act togather now with a fine 3 cyl Rotax motor with hydraulic clutch with quick paddle shifting. Takes a bit of getting use to if you're coming off a motorcycle as it doesn't lean in curvers; you learn to lean your upper body. Big forum, tons of info or feedback if needed. Same with lots of Vendors with nice stuff. lol.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Your wife controls your car purchases?

I'm 59 I exercise and lift weights almost daily. I drive a 2014 WRX, and will be buying an M2. My brother, 58, drives a 2017 911 GTS Turbo. Neither of us look old, feel old or have anything to prove. If you want a Corvette, buy a Corvette. But hurry before you are over 60, because you will be too old to walk let alone drive once you hit 60!
grin2.gif
lol.gif
banana2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
34.gif

I agree; growing old is inevitable, but growing up is optional. I'll be 61 in a couple of months and I've always had at least a couple of entertaining cars in my garage. My wife doesn't control my car purchases but I do have a limit of 14 "wheels on the ground." Right now my 14 wheels consist of three cars and one motorcycle on my side of the garage. Bless her long suffering heart, she didn't bat an eye when I checked out a Plum Crazy Challenger SRT, a School Bus Yellow Boss 302, and a turbocharged Elise.
I would have never married a women who forced me to drive anodyne appliances.

The M2 is an outstanding car; I've driven a couple- and I may yet replace my M235i with one. A Long Beach Blue manual with no hole in the roof.

Originally Posted By: tc1446

"I went through two CanAm Spyders before going to car-like 3 wheelers. CanAm has their act togather now with a fine 3 cyl Rotax motor with hydraulic clutch with quick paddle shifting. Takes a bit of getting use to if you're coming off a motorcycle as it doesn't lean in curvers; you learn to lean your upper body. Big forum, tons of info or feedback if needed. Same with lots of Vendors with nice stuff. lol.[/quote]"

Good information. Thanks. Been riding motorcycles since 1966 (First bike was a new Honda 305 Scrambler). Can't ride a bike with standard controls any more. Right hand is partially paralyzed from a cancerous tumor in my upper arm that permanently damaged the nerves. Cannot apply enough pressure to work the front brake lever although I can twist the throttle. I would prefer a Harley Tri-Glide (my last 6 bikes were HDs) but it will not work with my physical situation. The CanAm controls are about the only option I have left.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

"I went through two CanAm Spyders before going to car-like 3 wheelers. CanAm has their act togather now with a fine 3 cyl Rotax motor with hydraulic clutch with quick paddle shifting. Takes a bit of getting use to if you're coming off a motorcycle as it doesn't lean in curvers; you learn to lean your upper body. Big forum, tons of info or feedback if needed. Same with lots of Vendors with nice stuff. lol.
"

Good information. Thanks. Been riding motorcycles since 1966 (First bike was a new Honda 305 Scrambler). Can't ride a bike with standard controls any more. Right hand is partially paralyzed from a cancerous tumor in my upper arm that permanently damaged the nerves. Cannot apply enough pressure to work the front brake lever although I can twist the throttle. I would prefer a Harley Tri-Glide (my last 6 bikes were HDs) but it will not work with my physical situation. The CanAm controls are about the only option I have left.
[/quote]

Try a demo to see if it works for you. Lots of low mileage ones avail for sale if you're willing to travel a bit. Single right side foot brake. Throttle control is on right side like most bikes, but its "by wire" and easy to twist. Cruise control is also a nice feature.
Check out Spderlovers.com.

Try a demo to see if it works for you. Lots of low mileage ones avail for sale if you're willing to travel a bit. Single right side foot brake. Throttle control is on right side like most bikes, but its "by wire" and easy to twist. Cruise control is also a nice feature.
Check out Spderlovers.com.

Thanks for the input and the link. Have been to one CanAm dealership but have not taken one out for a demo yet. Plan to do so in the next month or two.

I have a Canam Spyder that I sort of inherited. Only had 935 miles on it.
I will say I don't like how complicated it is to work on or that it has coded electronics that require you to take it to a Canam dealer.
I have figured out how to change the oil in it, but to even check it, you have to remove a panel. It's definitely for people that ONLY ride them and take them to a dealer for all services.
I ll stick with my Triumph.
I gave the Canam to my wife to ride.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back