What are the best brakes parts NAPA sells?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2012 Honda Accord needs new rotors and pads very soon. The rotors are badly warped and the pads are starting the squeal. The factory breaks lasted 75,000 miles. My friend owns a diesel shop and can get me anything at NAPA for his costs which is a good discount. He owes me a favor and is doing the brake job for me. What would you recommend for the best quality rotors and pads NAPA sells for my Honda? I'd like to get the highest quality parts so pads last and are quiet and rotors don't warp. Thanks for any suggestions!

Forget Napa and get yourself a set of Akebono Proacts. Just put a set on front of wife’s 2010 MDX. Have installed them many times over the years on various vehicles and they are simply fantastic in every regard. Stop on a dime, quiet as a church mouse and clean as a whistle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: artbuc
Forget Napa and get yourself a set of Akebono Proacts. Just put a set on front of wife’s 2010 MDX. Have installed them many times over the years on various vehicles and they are simply fantastic in every regard. Stop on a dime, quiet as a church mouse and clean as a whistle.

Depending on the region NAPA does carry Akebono pads. Paired with the NAPA Ultra Premium coated rotors they make an excellent combo which I've used in many brake jobs.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin

Depending on the region NAPA does carry Akebono pads. Paired with the NAPA Ultra Premium coated rotors they make an excellent combo which I've used in many brake jobs.

+1, that combo would be tough to beat.

Napa carries Akebono pads
smile.gif

The best rotors Napa seems to carry for your car are
Napa Reactive One
Altrom - Mountain brand
Altrom - Brembo brand
Altrom - Fremax brand

I used the Reactive One pads on out 2001 Tundra. These truck have undersized front brakes. They have been very good; I would recommend them. As others have said, Akebono brake pads are top notch. As far as rotors, sometimes the cheapies can warp. I have not had an issues with any Napa part. One more thing: service your brake fluid. It will make a difference. Good luck with your new brakes!

Thanks gentlemen! I appreciate the advice! Is the Altrom - Mountain brand, Altrom - Brembo brand and Altrom - Fremax brand different rotors made by the same company?

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Thanks gentlemen! I appreciate the advice! Is the Altrom - Mountain brand, Altrom - Brembo brand and Altrom - Fremax brand different rotors made by the same company?

No, They are made by different companies. In this case, Mountain, Brembo, and Fremax. You probably know who Brembo is. Mountain is a Japanese brake disc manufacturer (they supply a lot of Japanese OEM rotors), and Fremax is a large Brazilian brake disc mfr. The Fremax rotors are made in Brazil, while the Mountain rotors are probably made in China, but could be made in Japan. The Brembos could be made anywhere, but probably China, maybe Mexico, and if you're lucky, Italy.

Altrom is an importer/distributor of parts for foreign cars, similar to Beck/Arnley. For these rotors, you'll probably get Mountain/Brembo/Fremax rotors in an Altrom box. There's a small chance they'll come in the original box with an Altrom label slapped on them.

I've installed dozens of pairs/sets of Napa brakes, mostly their mid-level SS-??? pads and premium rotors. I believe the SS pads are just OE-spec, whatever that may be, and in instances where that's semi-metallic (2006 Dodge Caravan, for instance) I've noticed plenty of dust on some cars which has me more aware of just putting on their SS pads without question. The rotors have always done well.

I put these pads on my Honda Accord v6 Coupe with Centric rotors. The high performance Akebonos are smooth, quiet and clean but just don't have the bite I expected. The best setup, in my opinion, is to install semi-met pads and Centric high carbon rotors (can withstand semi-met pads). This is the European setup. If your tires are up to it, can put you thru the windshield when needed.

Which akebono? ProACT or Street Performance?

Also as they are ceramic they bite much more when you get a little heat in them. A couple hard stops will make a big difference in pedal response.

Last edited:
As far as Napa branded, I avoid anything other than Adaptive One or Fleet. Around here they carry Akebono for most Japanese brand cars.

"Which akebono? ProACT or Street Performance?

Also as they are ceramic they bite much more when you get a little heat in them. A couple hard stops will make a big difference in pedal response."

Opps-
They are the ProACt. Regarding getting a little heat on the pads with a couple of hard stops to improve pedal response- that is true but one can't predict when a emergency stop is necessary. It is what it is where it is. Pads may be cold when this happens.

So which Akebono pads would be best for a daily driven V6 Accord? I would like quiet, long lasting and good bite in that order. Also between the NAPA Adaptive One pads and Akebono pads, which would you choose? Trying to decide between these two.

No sure on the rotors. Are the NAPA Ultra Premium rotors about as good as it gets from NAPA? Appreciate the help everyone!

+1

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
So which Akebono pads would be best for a daily driven V6 Accord? I would like quiet, long lasting and good bite in that order. Also between the NAPA Adaptive One pads and Akebono pads, which would you choose? Trying to decide between these two.

No sure on the rotors. Are the NAPA Ultra Premium rotors about as good as it gets from NAPA? Appreciate the help everyone!

ProActs would be my choice. The Performance line is more for drivers with a heavy foot and if you will take the car on the twisties or autocross it regularly.

They will be close to what Honda installed, but not an exact OEM match compound-wise. Akebono is Honda's secondary brake supplier besides Nissin. As for rotors, I don't think you can do wrong with either Napa rotor, I would avoid slotted or drilled ones.

That's actually why I went with the street performance pad. They are GG rated vs FG for the pro-acts. Good bite when cold, great bite about halfway into the first stop.

Not for autocrossing, excellent for the daily driver.

For ultimate cold bite the semi-metallics can't be beat

Either akebobo pad will be quiet and long lasting.

Last edited:
SilverFusion2010 said:
That's actually why I went with the street performance pad. They are GG rated vs FG for the pro-acts. Good bite when cold, great bite about halfway into the first stop.

The ProActs on my Honda are GG rated. I made sure of that when I ordered/installed them. In my opinion, they are below the OE Honda pads originally on the car for bite even though the OE were FF. But they are very smooth, quiet and clean if that's important for you. For a daily driver, I would just get the dealer pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back