2017 Pentastar - tick on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed a tick on startup with our new van, especially now that it's getting colder.

It lasts about 2 seconds, which indicates the oil reaches the ticking area and it stops.

Is this normal for the 3.6 Pentastar? Is it filer related?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Sounds like an oil flow restriction. I'd be changing filters.

Or poor ADBV design on the filter or housing? Trying another filter is probably the easiest/first thing to try I agree.

Assuming you are using the OEM Mopar cartridge filters, I imagine you are just hearing a tensioner, I wouldn't be worried about it.

My wife's quiet FWIW, but we are running markedly different oils if your sig is current.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Assuming you are using the OEM Mopar cartridge filters, I imagine you are just hearing a tensioner, I wouldn't be worried about it.

My wife's quiet FWIW, but we are running markedly different oils if your sig is current.

Not using the OEM filter. I'm thinking replacing the oil filter is the next best step.

How old is the PentaStar as they revised the filter in the newer ones to help stop with the drain back and with lifter ticking.

Make sure you have the right filter in use. The first version does fit both engine revisions but won't function properly in newer Pentastars.

First Version (WIX 57526)

Revised Version (WIX WL10010)

Also make sure who ever is doing the oil change that they clip the filter into the housing lid before screwing it back into the housing. I've seen places that just drop them in the housing and tighten the lid over top and it damages the filter in the process.

My dads is a 2012 and takes the older one and my Father inlaw takes the newer one. I use Wix in both because I can get them at a good price and I have had 0 issues with them if you want to try them as a reference to see if it remedies the problem.

Last edited:
Yeah but if you have some turkey at a shop somewhere that just looks up by engine size and doesn't realize there is a second filter that also fits the housing but is wrong it could be a newer engine with the older filter design and as a result it's allowing the oil to drain back and possibly not even filter it because of the differences.

Some of the Pentastars had bad roller rockers as well so if a lifter is draining back slightly it could cause ticking there until it refills with oil. Good news is these are relatively easy to change depending which one it is and there is lots of YouTube videos about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Some of the Pentastars had bad roller rockers as well so if a lifter is draining back slightly it could cause ticking there until it refills with oil. Good news is these are relatively easy to change depending which one it is and there is lots of YouTube videos about it.

I think this might be it. I have an appointment Wednesday at the dealer. Same dealer that replaced the engine in my 2013. They have a good service department.

RE: filter types, thank you. I do all my oil changes and I'm using the correct filter. The dealer was nice enough to swap out my old filter stash for the new when I traded the van in for the new 2017.

Hopefully it's an easy fix. The van only has 20k KMs on it.

Our 2007 is a 10w30 motor and it does not do this …
maybe workers were thinner and dressed better on the shop floor back then …

How old is the PentaStar

Well, the title of the thread says it is a 2017
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: webfors

Not using the OEM filter. I'm thinking replacing the oil filter is the next best step.

So I am to assume a Honeywell Defence oil filter (based on your sig) then?

Also, curious about the 5w-30, particularly for a Canadian winter..... I run 0w-20 in ours year-round, since it calls for a 5w-20
21.gif

Duh, missed that... I've been up since 4am. That's my excuse...
13.gif

I figured, hence the dig, LOL!
grin.gif

I think this might be it. I have an appointment Wednesday at the dealer. Same dealer that replaced the engine in my 2013. They have a good service department.

RE: filter types, thank you. I do all my oil changes and I'm using the correct filter. The dealer was nice enough to swap out my old filter stash for the new when I traded the van in for the new 2017.

Hopefully it's an easy fix. The van only has 20k KMs on it.

Oh in that case I would agree with you. Let us know.
thumbsup2.gif

So I am to assume a Honeywell Defence oil filter (based on your sig) then?

Also, curious about the 5w-30, particularly for a Canadian winter..... I run 0w-20 in ours year-round, since it calls for a 5w-20
21.gif

20 weight is too thin for the towing we do through the summer. I looked at the spec sheets between PP 0w20, 5w20 and 5w30 and there wasn't much gained in cold flow properties.

PP 5w30 cold weather numbers are significantly better than the recommended conventional 5w20 so I figured I would stick with one oil year round.

Here's some reading on water temps I got in the van this summer towing through Cape Breton, Nova Scotia:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4486979/PP_-_Mix_5w30_&_0w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back