Distilled vs Purified Drinking Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
....OTOH I'm not paying to put distilled water in a radiator....

I don't know about in Taiwan but here it's readily available
As for this thread, thoroughly enjoyed reading it this morning on hour back standard time. And after all the hyperventilation bitog style, I chuckled at the OP's last post. It made think of what the late great Gilda Radner would say for this situation....

Most non spring drinking water is ran through a RO system, iron filter first if needed. This brings the Total Dissolved Solids down to around 5 micro grams per liter. Some times you see mineral added to improve taste. This is simply some bicarbonate of various kinds and then is still only around 15 micro grams per liter.

It usually is sterilized by bubbling some O3 though it.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
....OTOH I'm not paying to put distilled water in a radiator....

I don't know about in Taiwan but here it's readily available
As for this thread, thoroughly enjoyed reading it this morning on hour back standard time. And after all the hyperventilation bitog style, I chuckled at the OP's last post. It made think of what the late great Gilda Radner would say for this situation....

I liked Emily Litella and the "endangered species" spoof.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
... I liked Emily Litella and the "endangered species" spoof.
banana2.gif

OT I don't recall that one. But Gilda was comedy gold and died far too young. She did a great Baba Wawa and Rosanne Rosannadanna.

Gee whiz, its a freaken cooling system people. In a rusty iron and aluminum engine. My 2nd car was a'54 New Yorker. The coolant was like mud from the iron and non permanent anti-freeze. 50/50 green stuff mixed with high iron well water. is what I've used for 40 yrs. The Prestone keeps the mixture green and slippery. As long as the level is high and holds pressure, you're golden. Accuracy greater than the demands of the job are a waste. Back in the Middle Ages, there was a college of cardinals who debated how many angels could dance on the head of a pin.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
Gee whiz, its a freaken cooling system people. In a rusty iron and aluminum engine. My 2nd car was a'54 New Yorker. The coolant was like mud from the iron and non permanent anti-freeze. 50/50 green stuff mixed with high iron well water. is what I've used for 40 yrs. The Prestone keeps the mixture green and slippery. As long as the level is high and holds pressure, you're golden. Accuracy greater than the demands of the job are a waste. Back in the Middle Ages, there was a college of cardinals who debated how many angels could dance on the head of a pin.
grin2.gif

What was the answer to the number angels dancing on a head of a pin? This is the same bunch of frauds that determined [censored] was located at the center of the planet. Same ones who said Earth is the center of the universe. Same ones who declared the idea of Zero (0) a work of the devil and banned its use. Same ones who subjected women to horrible torture and death because they were believed to be witches. Being left handed was sure to get you tortured and burned. Same ones who said incubi and succubi come down from the sky and have unlawful sexual congruence with sleeping men and woman, the object being propagation of more witches. Now you have done it andyd. Have to hit the Valium before my angst gets out of hand.

When it's time to do my annual cooling system maintenance I call ahead to my town's hospital and they prepare 4 gallons of water of the same type and purity used in the O/R. They can't sell it but I donate $10 to one of their charity programs. That and a new Robertshaw thermostat takes care of things.

PS, HosteenJorje, you need to relax and let go of the past. Especially centuries you were never alive in.
crazy.gif

I managed dialysis clinics earlier in my career. The dialysate solutions that came into contact with people's blood were made using R/O water mixed with concentrates. Of course, we tested the product water frequently. If that's not clean enough for a car's cooling system I don't know what is. Plus, I can get it right from my kitchen sink.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I managed dialysis clinics earlier in my career. The dialysate solutions that came into contact with people's blood were made using R/O water mixed with concentrates. Of course, we tested the product water frequently. If that's not clean enough for a car's cooling system I don't know what is. Plus, I can get it right from my kitchen sink.

Water for injection, the water used to make IV solutions can only be manufactured via distillation.

Originally Posted By: Piston_slap
When it's time to do my annual cooling system maintenance I call ahead to my town's hospital and they prepare 4 gallons of water of the same type and purity used in the O/R. They can't sell it but I donate $10 to one of their charity programs. That and a new Robertshaw thermostat takes care of things.

PS, HosteenJorje, you need to relax and let go of the past. Especially centuries you were never alive in.
crazy.gif

You jest? Hospitals don't have water systems. They purchase their water. The highest grade in a hospital sterile water for injection. Down a grade is sterile water for irrigation.

But digress, any purified water is good enough for a radiator.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: DBMaster

Water for injection, the water used to make IV solutions can only be manufactured via distillation.

I can't comment on that. I can only comment on water for dialysis. Even a small dialysis clinic uses between 150,000 and 200,000 gallons of water per month. If all of that had to be distilled, or even deinonized, it could get prohibitively expensive. In the clinics we generally had DI system on deck as backup for the R/O system if it went down.

FWIW I have always used water from the garden hose in all my cars w/o any issues. We do have good water around here in Chesterfield County, VA, though. I use a CPAP machine so I can sleep at night w/o snoring or gasping for air and the humidifier uses distilled water. In a pinch I use filtered water from the sink but eventually it will leave a film on the plastic reservoir.

Last edited:
Deionized water is the best there is nothing in this water of any sort all minerals have been removed you can purchase this water through like Culligan

Our power generation station sold boiler condensate to local oil distributors for use in their antifreeze products. Used it for years in my vehicles.

Buying any water product is going to be the same price as distilled at Walmart or anywhere else.

Ever heard of "cheap insurance"?

FFWD to my cheap friends who wouldn't pay for distilled water. Helped them with their coolant flushes.
Our family's coolant still sparkles in its original color.
Their well water (called 'liquid rock' in that neck of the woods) made their coolant cloudy immediately.

Why diddle around? Use the good $0.88 per gallon stuff.

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
Deionized water is the best there is nothing in this water of any sort all minerals have been removed you can purchase this water through like Culligan

Or you can go to Walmart or Walgreens and buy distilled water for about a buck a gallon (or less) and get the equivalent thing.

Originally Posted By: The_Nuke
I recently drained the radiator in my car and refilled with some 100% HOAT coolant (G-05) and Purified Drinking Water. It didn't occur to me at the time, but what I have used in the past was always Distilled Water (gallon jugs of Walmart's house brand). But it's starting to creep into my head as a possible liability. Anyone ever had issues with using purified drinking water versus the distilled kind?

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole-hill, but my car's engine cooling system is pretty important, given my geographic location and the intense summers I put it through. So if there's going to be a problem later on the down the road from using the purified drinking kind of water, I'd rather just drain the whole system and refill with distilled now while I have the luxury of deciding when/where to do such a task.

I cannot believe....this question, AGAIN? It's insignificant. The amount of minerals in purified verses distilled is probably an atoms worth of thickness on the internals of your cooling system. You do realize your coolant is circulating thru cast iron surfaces....People....get a grip!!!!

Last edited:
Purified drinking water is more than likely RO water or demineralized water. It should say so on the label of the water. Even if it is RO water with 'minerals added for taste' it is still good because the minerals added will amount to a few milligrams per liter (10-15mg).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back