tesla Build Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have repaired a couple of them in the body shop and they are just a nightmare. Parts are still very hard to get and the build quality is not that great. A $5000 job that was mostly cosmetic repair took 3 months because of parts issues.

I covered the build quality in the Model S review I did in the vehicle section. Basically, you are paying AMG and ///M dollars for build quality that simply isn't.

My boss's boss (VP of IT) had one a couple years ago that he took in for routine maintanence. They found $15k worth of work that needed to be done, including some axles, not sure what the rest was. It was barely still under warranty so he had them fix it and he got rid of it.

Although after many other cars since, he has another
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
My boss consistently has problems with his space-ship doors on the SUV model.

That is one ugly SUV, I'd rather have a GLE.

5652752_cd5474573963987078603_v1sm.jpg

I watched that whole video a couple of days ago. 75% of what he complains about I will give him as legit. The other 25% is him being hyper sensitive to things he normally would not be paying attention to and would be inconsequential if in a gas engine vehicle. When he showed the "fan noise" on the outside front of the car, I knew he was being a tad over whinny.

I would not be happy either, especially the rattles. Rattles and any other types of abnormal noises in the cabin, although considered small issues, detract a lot from the driving and ownership experience because your brand spanking new cars feels like an old beater.
You can buy a 20k econobox and it will not rattle, there is absolutely no excuse for a 100k car to have any types of rattles.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
I watched that whole video a couple of days ago. 75% of what he complains about I will give him as legit. The other 25% is him being hyper sensitive to things he normally would not be paying attention to and would be inconsequential if in a gas engine vehicle. When he showed the "fan noise" on the outside front of the car, I knew he was being a tad over whinny.
$80k+ car, I'd be complaining more than him, but I also only live a few miles from the Tesla dealer he was going to.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Danno
Don't know if this has been discussed re: Tesla build quality, but pictures speak 1000 words.

http://teslabears.club/t/new-thread-keefs-complaints-with-photographs/107/109

I'm not sure a bunch of wrecked cars proves anything.

Wrecked because of failed suspension components. Different than a crash wreck.
You are quick I must say in getting to a conclusion - in scrolling through 100+ pictures in 3 minutes.

Last edited:
Don't know if this has been discussed re: Tesla build quality, but pictures speak 1000 words.

You are quick I must say in getting to a conclusion - in scrolling through 100+ pictures in 3 minutes.

I passed a Toyota with a broken ball joint the other day...your point?

I passed a Toyota with a broken ball joint the other day...your point?

Show me a similar percentage of Toyota Corollas with suspension failures, and you would get my attention. I'll be waiting a while for the evidence, I'm sure.

Seems to be suspension components are made of cast aluminum, vs. forged, and are not holding up. When they fail, the result is a car write-off, basically too expensive to repair.

http://teslabears.club/t/new-thread-keefs-complaints-with-photographs/107

Wow, that's really telling.
Yes, I get any of the Big 3 have had similar issues at one point....but they issued RECALLS and made it right. Tesla is saying there's no issue and that they don't need to do anything. I think an admission of guilt is that they switched from a hollow knuckle to a solid one, but still have issues anyway.

I am no Tesla (I hate electric cars and I don't think the Teslas are great looking either) or Elon Musk fan. I think he's a con man and he's ripping off the tax payers.

The Big 3 try to sweep things under the rug until it festers and then they issue recalls. Same like other Auto-Manufacturers not part of the big 3. Look at the Ford Dual Clutch transmission fiasco. Or GM and the igntion parts recall. Don't get me started on Chrysler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back